Computer Help

General discussion

DVD BURNER WILL NOT BURN DVD OR WRITE TO CD

by MM_Midnite / December 18, 2010 1:31 AM PST

Hello everyone... I need some help with getting my DVD burner to burn. This is the second drive I try and they both do play dvds but will not burn for me. This PLEXTOR is brand new. I did the fix from microsoft for the DVD drive and I got this at the end. Which makes no sense to me this is a burner or writer is it not?

PLEXTOR DVD DRIVE:{the selected drive is not capable of writing, if you have a second cd dvd drive try using another - otherwise you may need to install a cd dvd writer}

These are my systems specs :**

Operating System:
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

System Model:
VIA Technologies, Inc. PM800-8237
Enclosure Type: Desktop

Processor a :
2.70 gigahertz Intel Celeron
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
128 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Main Circuit Board b:
Board: PM800-M2
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 05/25/2004

Drives:
61.48 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
19.65 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ATAPI CD-RW CW5201 SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
PLEXTOR DVDR PX-870A SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Maxtor 6Y060L0 [Hard drive] (61.49 GB) -- drive 0, s/n Y2C10XHE, rev YAR41BW0, SMART Status: Healthy

Memory Modules c,d:
1536 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 1024 MB
Slot 'A1' has 512 MB

NOTE:
also the drivers for the drive are dated 2001. This is suppose to be a plug and play device so no drivers came with it.

ANY AND ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED---THANKS

MM_MIDNITE

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD BURNER WILL NOT BURN DVD OR WRITE TO CD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD BURNER WILL NOT BURN DVD OR WRITE TO CD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ummm
by bob b / December 18, 2010 2:02 AM PST

I don't think xp had native dvd burning support.

Meaning.....if you wanted to burn a dvd you needed a 3rd party piece of software.

Many folks use 'xpcdburner'.....use goggle.

Collapse -
by MM_Midnite / December 18, 2010 4:25 AM PST

Thanks for responding i forgot to add that I have a a few third party programs installed also... I have DVD Santa.... Nero 7 ultra edition .... Paragon cd/dvd...these are my sons programs which all work well on his computer. They all start to work but never go to the actual burning process. This is why I got the DVD FIX from Microsoft which told me that this drive can not write... I am trying to figure out why... Like I said this is the 2nd drive I try in the PC.

Collapse -
Those apps could be OEM versions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2010 5:08 AM PST

First your drive is at http://www.plextoramericas.com/index.php/dvd-rw/internal-dvd-rw/px-870a

But those apps sound either OEM or in the case of Nero 7 too old to use your new 22X DVD recorder.

Uninstall ALL of these apps and try the simple free CDBURNERXP (it does DVD too) and if you need to create and burn a Video DVD, I use DVD FLICK to create an ISO file which I then burn with ImgBurn.

These titles use some standard method of burning which I find Nero and Roxio to demand the drive be in their support list.
Bob

Collapse -
by MM_Midnite / December 18, 2010 7:35 PM PST

Hi...Bob... Thanks I will try your suggestions. The programs do work and have been installed in all our families computers. Both my sons are running vista and Windows 7 and are using Nero actuallly. I used my DVD santa with my other computer that I just trashed... By the way I have Nero 10 because the it came with Nero 9 esstentials and it told me to buy 10 on line so I just went and got it at Best buy. This thing has me going nuts. Been a member of Cnet for more than 15 years and it is my shout out for help....lol. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Sorry but let me repeat this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2010 11:15 PM PST

Some of those apps must have the drive in their "supported list" or that message shows up.

This is why I'd try CDBURNERXP after I uninstalled all other recording apps.
Bob

Collapse -
by MM_Midnite / December 20, 2010 12:35 AM PST

Thanks for your help Bob.... I deleted all the burn programs I cleared the registry of all traces of them.... I got the three programs you suggested and they work... BUT... still can not burn a DVD ... Maybe I just need a newer computer for this drive. Again thank you for your help... Happy Holidays

MM_Midnite

Collapse -
Let me share this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2010 6:38 AM PST

My oldest machine that I burned Video DVDs with was an Acer ter-600. That had the P3-600 (MHz) and 256MB RAM. Your machine has much more.

Something's off but I can't put my finger on it. It's not as if the machine isn't up to the task.

Is there any other apps that could be suspect? Such as CD/DVD emulators?
Bob

Collapse -
by MM_Midnite / December 21, 2010 12:14 AM PST
In reply to: Let me share this.

Hi Bob, No there is nothing else... this has me going insane. I built the system and I can not figure it out either. This Plextor came with nero 9 essentials which took me to the site to buy nero 10 I did still does not work...long story short... I deleted everything and it is still the same. I'm thinking I need to save all my work to my D drive and format the C drive and reinstall everything ... which will not be until after the Holidays. If you find anything you think might help or hear of someone who had this same problem and solved it please let me know. Thanks again for all your help. Happy Holidays!

MM_Midnite

Collapse -
cdrw wont burn recovery disc
by barney57rlw / June 14, 2011 7:24 AM PDT

I have an HP DV6000 that had this same issue, I finally figured out after hours of messing in the registry that all I had to do was REINSTALL the Roxio that came on the computer and it burnt the recovery discs just fine.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.