PC Hardware

General discussion

DVD Burner very choppy

by kalendral / February 21, 2009 3:05 AM PST

I have an Amilo L laptop with internal DVD burner. I have been trying to burn DVDs but they keep coming out choppy. At first I was told it was problem with the lens so I got a new burner installed. Since then I have tried a range of different E; Ulead Video Studis; Windows Movie Maker. I have tried cleaning the burner & doing a DMA flip but nothing I do makes any difference. I'm hoping someone out there will have a suggestion for other things I can try.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD Burner very choppy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD Burner very choppy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Additional information
by kalendral / February 21, 2009 3:19 AM PST
In reply to: DVD Burner very choppy

I should've said I have also tried using Nero 6 & Nero Express SE software & changing the configurtion options to Long Play, Short Play, a slower burner speed (4x) & any other changes I could think of.

Collapse -
That other information.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2009 6:01 AM PST
In reply to: DVD Burner very choppy

Thanks for starting your very own discussion. You asked what info is needed. I'd start with our "words in red." These are "Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem."

For example I can't find what Operating system, if it ever worked right (if not, why not make it a warranty issue?), why would you expect it to do this proper or not, and its unclear if the DVD is choppy on your PC or in some DVD player and exactly how you make a DVD.

One person was downloading AVI files and their issue vanished in a second by using DVD FLICK. Not that this is your issue but I read both posts and nothing tells me where the DVD is choppy.
Bob

Collapse -
Additional info
by kalendral / February 21, 2009 7:26 PM PST

Amilo L LM13W laptop bought in 2006 so is out of warranty.
Operating System Windows XP
Original burner: HL-DT-ST-DVD-RW GWA-4082N; Firmware: CW02 (removed because I was advised that lens was faulty).
New burner: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T40N; Firmware: CW02 - Standard burn rate: 8x (but have tried burning at 4x).

I started trying to burn DVDs a month ago. It was the first time I have tried to use the DVD burner to burn DVDs. I have used it for ripping & playing CDs before & it worked fine but for some reason it won't burn DVDs properly.
I have been capturing video from a Samsung Digital Video camera & DV cable. The software I have used to capture & edit the video is Ulead, Nero 6 & Nero Express SE & Windows Video Maker. The computer also has an IEEE card installed. I have captured it as an AV file & as a DVD file. I have saved it as a 'Project' file in the various softwares & also as an MPeg & JPeg video file.

When I play the captured video on my computer - using Windows Media Player or other player software (e.g. Nero) it plays fine but when I burn it to DVD using any of the above softwares (Nero, ULead, Windows Movie Maker), all of which include rendering for DVD, it comes out choppy whether I play it back on my computer or on a DVD player (I have tried it in several different DVD players of different ages). I have used different DVD discs - Philips & Verbatim, DVD-R & DVD+R but always burned using PAL-English (region 2).
I have also tried changing video options - changing burn to Long Play as the camcorder was in Long Play when used when that didn't work I tried short play & extended play & anything else I could think of.

I have closed down everything in the background & done the DMA flip & cleaned the burner. I have also checked the status of the burner & it says it is working normally.

I have recaptured it several times & tried burning it 40+ times trying to get it to work but no luck yet. I have reached the end of my limited knowledge of what could be changed/corrected to compensate for the choppiness & would be really grateful if anyone out there could give me some more ideas. Thanks.

Collapse -
Then let's use better DVD creation software.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2009 9:53 PM PST
In reply to: Additional info

Next time use

DVD FLICK

If you can't burn with DVD FLICK, go get IMGBURN.

No, this is not to offer a tutorial or where to find these free titles. It is only what I use when I encounter your issue. The issue vanishes on my set top DVD player when I use this pair.

There may be issues with your laptop and DVD playback. You never told if a commercially made DVD plays ok or not.
Bob

Collapse -
Commercial DVDs
by kalendral / February 22, 2009 12:32 AM PST

Commercial DVDs seem to play fine both in my computer & in my DVD player. I'll give DVD FLICK & IMGBURN a go & let you know what happens.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.