Peripherals forum

General discussion

DVD Burner tray will not open

by twret / August 9, 2005 9:48 AM PDT

I have an HP A810N and there is no CD in the DVD burner, and the tray will not open, I tried opening with the manual pin hole, but that did not open it.

Have any other suggestions.

Twret

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD Burner tray will not open
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD Burner tray will not open
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Exercise your warrenty...
by John.Wilkinson / August 9, 2005 2:46 PM PDT

If using a paperclip to activate the manual release doesn't work, the drive is probably shot...the gear that opens and closes the drive is broken, rendering the drive unusable. Since your computer is still under warrenty, e-mail, IM, or call HP and let them know what happened. They'll probably have you ship the drive to them, then either repair or replace it and ship it back (they'll pay for shipping and handling).

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Or. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 10, 2005 7:14 AM PDT

Questions, questions, questions.

Been inside the case lately? Have you checked the power connection? Does the light/LED show when you boot the PC. It should light momentarily during the boot process. Have you tried the button on the front or the Eject command from within Explorer.

The pin hole. Unknown to some people, you may have to really push on the paper clip. I had a Sony drive once that I could not open. A friend got it open by pushing really hard with the paper clip.

Wayne

Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to
use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about telephones,
internet connections, spyware removal, and data, and download free software.

Collapse -
Also
by Alan Copeland / August 10, 2005 11:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Or. . .

because the drives on new HP Pavilions are recessed behind the front panel, you may not be at the right angle to push the pin in far enough. Take off the side cover and hinge the front panel out of the way. I jammed my CD drive one day and had to jack with it awhile to hget it working again.

Collapse -
Yes! Thanks, Wayne. Push REALLY hard...
by dennphill / November 24, 2010 9:15 AM PST
In reply to: Or. . .

...did the trick. DVD burner is crappo - AOPEN - and replacement in the mail. Again thanx, Wayne. Happy

Collapse -
DVD Tray
by nickbabygirl / August 11, 2005 9:35 PM PDT

If your are using XP Home or Prof. go control panel and uninstall drivers for your DVD drive and CD. Shut your computer off for 15 seconds or longer. When you restart both drivers will be reinstalled and your DVD tray will open again.

Collapse -
DVD tray will not open
by jw1ls5n0129 / August 11, 2005 11:17 PM PDT

hello,this could be an obstruction, remove the drive and at the sides there should be a push in that lets you get into the drive .it will let you remove the front of the drive ,look out you do not brake the little push ins at the sides but the tray should come out with a bit of luck,and it is a simple job to do.
regards Johan 1290

Collapse -
try right click
by twt97 / August 12, 2005 7:22 AM PDT
In reply to: DVD tray will not open

Did you dry opening it via the software? ie: my computer, right click drive on the drive, select "eject". I've had times when that was the only way that it would open.

Collapse -
Right click.
by iacapa / April 1, 2012 7:16 AM PDT
In reply to: try right click

Thank you very much twt97. Never knew that. Worked a treat!

Collapse -
power on or off?
by rmf / August 13, 2005 6:13 AM PDT

Was the machine powered up when you tried to manually open it? It needs to be off.

Collapse -
batch file
by dialdude / August 14, 2005 7:07 AM PDT
In reply to: power on or off?

try this - www.rjlsoftware.com
small program to open a cd/dvd drive

Collapse -
dvd tray won't open
by alidickson / August 26, 2007 7:49 PM PDT
In reply to: batch file

Can you give a more specific link? I searched the website and couldn't find the software. Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.