Desktops forum

General discussion

DVD burner reads/writes CDs, burns DVDs, but won't read DVDs

by tech_ninja_81 / February 3, 2010 11:46 AM PST

My DVD burner is really messing with my mind, and I think it is being vindictive because I hardly use it. I noticed a few weeks ago it was not recognizing certain disks, but I really did not care enough to delve into the issue.

Well, today a friend of mine gave me Crysis and I REALLY wanted to play it. So I pop in the disk and nothing (That'll teach me). I tried opening it manually, and it basically acted like I was getting ready to burn a disk. I checked in Disk Management, and the drive was there, but again no disk in the drive.

So I rebooted, POST found the drive, BIOS said the drive is peachy, and Windows says the drive is good. So, I popped in a CD, and it autoplayed. I put in a blank CD & burned a CD. Put in a blank DVD, burned it fine.

Rebooted again, this time with the Win7 DVD, and lo and behold, it booted to the DVD, and just to be sure I reinstalled Windows. So, just to be sure it was not a 7 glitch (I have not been running it long) I installed XP, and it had the exact same problems, so I put 7 back on.

But still, it will not read a DVD inside Windows. The driver is fine. I have tried 8 different disks, all readable by other machines (movies, games, backups, sotware, etc.) but my machine refuses to read them, either in XP or 7. This is really driving me nuts because I have tried everything. I can't afford to get a new drive if that is not the problem because I just dropped $180 on 7 and my wife will eat my skull for breakfast if I just randomly show up with more computer stuff. Besides, I still haven't gotten her a v-day present yet (but don't tell her...Shhh!)

I have never seen a hardware failure act like this, nor have I ever seen a software glitch like this.

Machine details;
Intel Core2Duo 2.2 GHz
Windows 7 64-bit (Fresh install)
Not sure on brand of DVD burner, but I can pull it out if absolutely neccessary.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD burner reads/writes CDs, burns DVDs, but won't read DVDs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD burner reads/writes CDs, burns DVDs, but won't read DVDs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My DVD burner is really messing with my mind
by Brechan / February 8, 2010 7:07 AM PST

I think that the problem you're experiencing is that you're running with outdated firmware for your CD/DVD ROM; only thing I can suggest is that you pull the device from your computer, get the make/ model number...
From there go to the manufacturers website, and get the current firmware update for that particular model.
Outdated firmware can cause all sorts of problems with the CD/DVD ROM drive, including the problem you're experiencing.

Collapse -
by Willy / February 8, 2010 1:51 PM PST

You gave no clue as to the age of the DVD drive, but at 1 yr. old even if NOT USED, it still can act up. Further, you should at least do a dust blowout and CD lens cleaning and retry again. Alas, if it acts up still then consider it wasted. The other poster mentions a firmware update, you can try that as a last resort. Yours seems like a h/w fault as drives get older. Wear&tear on a drive even if not used are prone to laser misalignment and/or mech. fault, it does get minor use when booting during power-up. Since, you mentioned it was already not recognizing some discs, that's a clue not all is well. Play all you want, but usually a new drive cures all, excluding any s/w faults.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Good point...
by tech_ninja_81 / February 8, 2010 8:51 PM PST
In reply to: Wear&tear

I would guess that the drive is probably just short of a year old. As far as cleaning, I have dusted it and used a lens cleaner. I have cats and hard wood floors, so things get dusty here so I dust my PCs & home entertainment system about once a month, including cleaning lenses in disc reading devices. I have tried the firmware update, and that is not working either.

The only thing that still has me confused is that it will still burn DVDs, and will read them before Windows loads (I installed 7 from a DVD, as stated in my first post) but once the OS is up and running, it is like the disc is not even there.

Collapse -
Say that happened to me!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 8, 2010 9:47 PM PST
In reply to: Good point...

I installed Windows 7 and CDBURNERXP claimed there were no drives. A little google later found I had missed a driver. The Intel RAID software.

While I don't use RAID it appears it enables the drives in 7.

Collapse -
It just won't read DVDs
by tech_ninja_81 / February 8, 2010 10:06 PM PST

That's the weird thing. The drive shows up, and it will burn DVDs, just won't read them. All other functions work fine except reading DVDs.

Collapse -
Which happened to me but opposite.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 8, 2010 10:23 PM PST

I shared because it was the polar opposite of what I read here. I shared so it might fire someone's neurons and get the ideas flowing.

-> The only idea I have is that some CD/DVD emulator was installed. I'm finding those to be troublesome.

Collapse -
Built-In DVD Burner
by 19Edwin53 / September 18, 2012 9:06 AM PDT

I have a Gateway MD7309U 15.6 Notebook. Built-In DVD Burner burns but won't read ROMs. Does anyone out there have an answer or do I need a new burner.

Notebook is fine, just the reading aspect of the ROM.

I using Windows' 7 Ultimate

Thank You!

Collapse -
What sort of ROMs?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2012 9:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Built-In DVD Burner

Video DVDs are different. Some DVDs with open sessions are trouble.

And frankly, it's a mess as I look at how many kinds of ROMs there are.

Collapse -
New OS glitches
by Willy / February 10, 2010 12:14 PM PST

I followed the CDburnerxp s/w glitch and it falls at their doorstep to provide some fix to work within win7. While the Itel fix under raid, supposedly uses the SCSI/ata type driver or similar which is universal if I recall the term right. I figure its MS turn to fix this as I suppose it a lagging sort of thing they fix as the need arises as usual for any new OS.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Yes. That's what I did.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2010 12:03 AM PST
In reply to: New OS glitches

I lucked into a nice HP d4999t which I put 7 Pro 64 on and promptly encountered this issue. The Intel raid driver fixed it as well as speeding up the machine. Learn something new every day.

Collapse -
Ahhh...same thing here....good tip
by Steven Haninger / February 11, 2010 3:33 AM PST

Saw this earlier but had CDBurnerXP on my XP machine working fine. Installed on Win7 and no compatible devices if doing disk copy. I'd no yellow asterisks anywhere and old Nero 6 worked fine. Turned out to be something called Intel Matrix Storage Manager that fixed it after downloading from ASUS site for my board. I had no reason to install this originally. Nothing seemed broken.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.