Computer Help forum

dv7-6165us won't power on

by dasleyefox / January 7, 2013 3:13 AM PST

Just for information, I have taken apart, and replaced many motherboards in laptops, laptop screens, processors, heat sinks and fans. This is the first time with a quad-core and have came across this before. I have reballed alot of HP dv6000 and DV 9000 systems and have got them back up and running.
Specs for the laptop will follow discription of problem.
What I have is a HP DV7-6165US laptop which will not boot at all which is a friend of mine laptop. I believe the battery to be dead and it does not charge when plugged in. The only light that lughts when the ac adapter is plugged in is the light right on the side where the ac adapter does plug in, usually that light stays on steady when plugged in-- on this one it constantly flashes. Nothing lights up on the laptop itself when trying to power it on, the light where the adapter plugs in on the side just keeps flashing, it shows no other life at all.
What I have tried: A hard reset, Taking out all power connections including battery, holding down power button for a minute or more plug back in nothing changes. I've bought and tried a new stick of memory, I've taken it apart and bought a new internal ac jack still nothing changed, I've reseated the heatsink and processor, and now I just tried a new board (used $200) on ebay and put it in to find out I still have the same problem. The only thing I can think of that is left is the heatsink and fan assembly or the processor unless by chance I got a used motherboard from ebay that does not work (new board $400). Does anyone here have any idea if the processor being bad or heatsink that would cause this problem--as I said the only light is where the ac adapter plugs in flashes and keeps flashing when ac adapter is plugged in (normally the light around the ac adapter stays on steady when ac is plugged in) no other lights flash when pressing power button I also got the new processor and installed it same result. The light that is blinking is the one on the internal power jack where you plug the ac adapter in normally it stays on steady. Any help would be greatly appreciated TYVM!
Product Number LW460UA#ABA
2.4GHz/1.5GHz VISION A8 Technology from AMD with AMD Quad-Core A8-3500M Accelerated Processor
Microprocessor Cache 4MB L2 Cache
6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 DIMM) Maximum supported = 8GB
AMD Radeon HD 6750M s Switchable graphics
640GB (5400RPM)
SuperMulti DVD Burner
17.3" diagonal High Definition+ HP BrightView LED Display (1600 x 900)
Network Card Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Wireless Connectivity •802.11b/g/n WLAN
•Beats Audio with the HP Triple Bass Reflex Subwoofer
Full-Size Island-Style Keyboard with Integrated Numeric Keypad
Touchpad supporting Multi-Touch gestures. With LED border accent light and On/Off button.
PC Card Slots External Ports •Digital Media Card Reader for Secure Digital and Multimedia cards •2 SuperSpeed USB 3.0 • 2 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0 • 1 HDMI • 1 VGA (15-pin) • 1 RJ -45 (LAN) • 2 Headphone-out • 1 Microphone-in
Other Devices • HP TrueVision HD Webcam with integrated digital microphone • HP SimplePass with integrated fingerprint reader
Dimensions 16.38" (L) x 10.83" (W) x 1.24" (min H)/ 1.42" (max H)
Weight 6.65 lbs
Security •Kensington MicroSaver lock slot • Power-on password • Accepts 3rd party security lock devices
Power •120W AC Adapter
•9-Cell 100WHr Lithium-Ion Battery
What's In The Box HP TrueVision HD Webcam with integrated digital microphone
HP SimplePass with integrated fingerprint reader
Software Operating System: Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: dv7-6165us won't power on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: dv7-6165us won't power on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Given the HP history.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2013 5:06 AM PST

Can I ask why you went with them on your new laptop?

Collapse -
PS. Head to HP.COM
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2013 5:17 AM PST
In reply to: Given the HP history.

Click on the chat button and ask for the service manual.

Collapse -
A friends laptop
by dasleyefox / January 7, 2013 6:06 AM PST
In reply to: PS. Head to HP.COM

As I said in the initial post it is a friends laptop, I am looking at, I have been to hp and checked their manual and found that they think it is an issue with the power supply not putting out enough power. The light that is blinking is the light on the internal jack that the power supply plugs into. I have switched out the memory, tried 3 different power supplys, changed the processor, used a new stick of ram, tried a hard reset, even bought a used motherboard from ebay and it has the same issue. I have a 30 day warranty on the motherboard and if I can't fix the issue I will return it. HP forum site is supposed to have experts on their forum on the 9th and 10th. If I can't figure it out by then, I'll try the forum 9th and 10th if no luck send it back. TYVM for the reply!

Collapse -
Looking at other reports.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2013 6:50 AM PST
In reply to: A friends laptop

You see folk changing motherboards. You've admitted you know about the dv6000/9000 issue and write you tried a motherboard but it was from ebay and not HP.

The HP forum I've seen rarely get into board level issues. That is, boards are not repaired unless it's something like the old laptop power jack issue. Or some simple other port. I am running into new techs that want to repair laptops but are just learning what a mess the laptop and now tablet repairs are. That is, it doesn't make sense to do much more than try the usual things then hand it back.

Collapse -
Friends laptop
by dasleyefox / January 7, 2013 7:56 AM PST

TYVM for your reply, if I don't figure it out prior to talking to them on the 9th or 10th, they may suggest just as you say in which case I will have my friend buy a motherboard from HP which I will then install in the meantime I will continue to try to save him a few dollars. Thanks again for all your advice.

Collapse -
(NT) At this point would it make sense to consider a new laptop ?
by VAPCMD / January 7, 2013 8:27 AM PST
In reply to: Friends laptop
Collapse -
A friends laptop
by dasleyefox / January 7, 2013 8:36 AM PST

He may very well decide to do that also, I am retired US Army and my MOS was computer repair and it is just something I love to do. Should he decide to do that I may just buy this one from him and work on it at my leisure. Thanks again for all your replies.

Collapse -
Last hurrahs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2013 9:17 AM PST

Use a Volt meter on the CMOS battery. The common CR2032 cutoff voltage I use is 3.0 volts. Anything lower and I get a new one. Some techs will leave it in if it works but I can't stand returns.

After that try the generic laptop reset (power removed, no battery, hold power button for 60 seconds.)

Collapse -
Understand and good luck. Re is fun and
by VAPCMD / January 7, 2013 10:05 AM PST

at times callenging too....I do a little building, troubleshooting and repairing too.

Collapse -
A friends laptop
by dasleyefox / January 7, 2013 10:53 PM PST

I checked the cmos battery it checks out good, did the generic laptop reset nothing seems to change. I'm going to go over it again later today, maybe I'm missing something. Thanks for all your help, will check back in later.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.