Cameras forum

General discussion

Duracell NiMH battery charger model CEF14N

by martajosefina / June 18, 2009 1:24 AM PDT

I have used the charger 1 time, but when trying to recharge the batteries they don?t recharge. What can I do? The batteries are
AA/HR6/DX1500 NiMH,1.2V/2000mAh.
What happens if you leave the batteries in the charger for a couple of days if on a trip?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Duracell NiMH battery charger model CEF14N
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Duracell NiMH battery charger model CEF14N
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Battery Charger
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 19, 2009 12:11 AM PDT

You didn't provide enough information, so no one has answered so far.

You failed to state if the batteries are working at all.

I am going to assume that they are working and you used the camera for a short while.
Then tried to recharge the slightly discharged batteries.

It is quite normal for the charger to refuse to charge the batteries if it senses that they are nearly fully charged.

Wait until you have discharged the battery further.

Now:
"What happens if you leave the batteries in the charger for a couple of days if on a trip?"

This can have two meanings.
You plan to use the charger as a battery storage device.
And the charger will not be plugged-in.
I would not do that, since there are electronic circuits in the charger that just might cause some drain of the batteries.

You plan to leave the batteries in the charger (with charger plugged into the wall outlet) unattended for several days.
I would not do that, for the same reason that I would not leave an iron plugged into an electrical outlet for several days.

While it will not hurt the batteries or the charger, it can cause a house fire under the right circumstances.

Collapse -
Battery charger
by martajosefina / June 19, 2009 6:06 AM PDT

I will check the batteries although when I put them in the camera it signals low battery.

I have made the mistake of leaving them a few days within the charger,
I will not repeat this mistake. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Collapse -
Battery Charger
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 19, 2009 7:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Battery charger

"I put them in the camera and it signals low battery."

That could be a camera problem.

Who makes the camera and what is the model number?

Collapse -
Came ra Model
by martajosefina / June 19, 2009 11:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Battery Charger

The camera is a CANON Power Shot A570IS AI AF

Collapse -
It is a Known Problem
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 19, 2009 12:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Came ra Model

There is a problem with the Canon A560 and A570.
Some of these cameras will incorrectly report low battery.
It will even react as if the battery is actually low.

The bad news is:
Canon refuses to admit that there is a problem with these cameras.
There is no authorized fix.

Here is a long thread that discusses the problem:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7593_102-0.html?messageID=2614269&tag=forums06;search-results#2614269

If you read the entire thread, you will find that it is suspect that the battery compartment door is not making good contact with the battery.

Several people have reported that they fixed the problem by wedging small pieces of wooden toothpicks under the metal tabs that contact the batteries.

Their theory is that the springs in the camera are not putting enough force on the tabs that contact the batteries.

Near the end of the thread someone reported a similar problem with a Canon A610. But if you read further, he discovers that his problem was caused by one defective battery.

Collapse -
by n9ejs / November 3, 2009 2:48 AM PST

I'm new here, and I found my son's charger, but no instructions. I put a couple of AA NiMH rechargeable cells in it (which measure about 0.95 volts) and plugged it into the AC outlet. I notice there is a LED at the bottom, but it doesn't come on. Does the charger have an automatic shut off when the battery is fully charged? Where can I get a copy of the instructions for this unit?

Collapse -
Re: Duracell NiMH battery charger model CEF14N
by Tufenuf / November 3, 2009 3:24 AM PST
Collapse -
by n9ejs / November 3, 2009 11:59 AM PST

Tufenuf - thanks for this info! I put two AAs in the left two slots for double-AAs and nothing happened - no light. I then switched them to the two middle slots and the red light came on, and several hours later changed to green.
Are there any other instructions available that you know of? Thanks again.

Collapse -
Re: Duracell NiMH battery charger model CEF14N
by Tufenuf / November 3, 2009 1:25 PM PST

n9ejs, That's the only instructions I found doing a google search. I'd say that what you did "I then switched them to the two middle slots and the red light came on, and several hours later changed to green" would be correct. Put 4 batteries in and see if the light works. If it does than eveything appears to be working correctly.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
by n9ejs / November 3, 2009 2:53 PM PST

Thank you!

Collapse -
Trouble using Duracell CEF14N battery recharger
by vettechjoe / November 16, 2009 10:00 AM PST

I see there are many people with similar problems. Mine is that it may have any light with 2 or 4 batteries in it or the red light comes on and an hour later they are almost too hot to touch. I've rotated all 6 of the Duracell AA/HR6/DX1500 NiMH 1,2V/2000mAh that I have (4 at a time) with no luck. I'm worried about a fire hazard. Also, is anyone familiar with any of these batteries having a black ring at the top of the positive end as opposed to the predominantly white ring?

Collapse -
CEF14N battery recharger capacity
by CuriousCase / July 28, 2010 2:54 AM PDT

Can CEF14N battery recharger charger 2700mAh battery fully

Collapse -
Re: CEF14N battery recharger capacity
by Tufenuf / July 28, 2010 11:37 AM PDT

CuriousCase, It should be able to though it would take longer to fully charge 2700mAh batteries then it would 2000mAh batteries.

Tufenuf

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.