Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Durable Earbuds Mp3

by bychiu / September 27, 2008 8:24 AM PDT

I keep breaking earbuds,i've gond through 3 pairs. usually at the wire that go to the earbud itself and to the connector, anyone
know a good pair of earbuds for my Mp3 player, hopefully somthing heavy duty...?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Durable Earbuds Mp3
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Durable Earbuds Mp3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
durable earbuds
by gataccio / September 27, 2008 12:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Durable Earbuds Mp3

I've had the same problem as you. I have gone through at least 10 headphones in the last 4 years. My current earbuds are Shure SE110. They are definitely the most durable. Unfortunately you have to drop $100 on them. Do not get sonys because the wire is really thin (I've gone through 5) and v-modas wires are really thin as well (I've gone through 1) and boses are overrated (I've gone through 1). If you are willing to spend that much money go with Shures.

Collapse -
broken phones
by fihart / September 27, 2008 7:48 PM PDT
In reply to: durable earbuds

There's problem with newer headphones using very thin wiring that is fragile and hard to solder. One solution is to buy a cheap or used pair of more traditional phones and take the wiring from them.

I've managed to keep Sony MDR40 on-ear headphones running since 1986 (originally supplied with the vastly expensive Walkman Pro cassette recorder).

The reason I bother is MDR40 are efficient and sound better than anything I've heard since.

Soldering is a bit of an art but worth learning and this will save you loadsa cash -- assuming you can get into the ear buds without destroying them.

Collapse -
similar experience
by ph06nix / October 10, 2008 12:43 AM PDT
In reply to: durable earbuds

hello kindred spirit. I've had the same experience. I've gone through at least six earbuds in the past 18 months. sonys, cobys, skullcandy, etc. I've researched earbuds cause I'm sick of wasting money on what doesn't last. Usually the wires break near base or near volume adjustment. I'm buying a sennheiser next. they are middle range in terms of price but excellent in terms of sound. I'm trying out one of their headphones now and I just enjoy the audio experience.

Collapse -
Koss Plug
by lakephillip / October 3, 2008 8:05 PM PDT

I like the Koss Plug and Spark Plug. They are fairly durable, have incredible sound with incredible bass response, and are comfortable over several hours. The Price is also very resonable. Usually under $20.00.

Collapse -
Durable Headphones
by Robyn6 / October 4, 2008 4:07 AM PDT

I have a few different brands, But I LOVE SkullCandy the best.
My Sony are ok, yet The aren't as durable and they cost more.
SkullCandy is cheap(FYE usually has them on sale for $14.99 or less and so does Target) They come in different colors and styles.

Collapse -
(NT) I've owned 30 pairs of SK, all broke.
by Nathaniel_Liles / May 13, 2011 12:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Durable Headphones
Collapse -
Skullcandy sucks
by psychopathicpanda / September 13, 2011 2:46 PM PDT

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> <span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> Skullcandy headphones sound good, but break very easily and Skullcandy is terrible with customer service.

Collapse -
skullscamdys
by sageshrapnel / September 14, 2011 3:16 PM PDT

when skullcandy's first arrived on the scene, they were excellent earbuds. as time went on, i noticed i was replacing them more and more. between my son and I, we went through 5 pair within 3 months. the audio kept cutting out (a short somewhere in the jack.) I think they are now overrated. I used to live in Park City (where they are headquartered) and took the broken ones in and kept getting the runaround...."so & so isn't in now. let me get yer name and email & we'll contact you"...never happened. I'm still looking. I have a pair of Wicked that surprisingly sound great and have lasted over six months...but, alas, they are beginning to short out as well...sigh.

Collapse -
Ear buds
by karport / October 5, 2008 8:06 AM PDT

I recently purchased a set of ear buds called Sonix and they are great. I have had SONY buds, classic apples, and the Sonix are superior in terms of quality of construction, in-ear fit and importantly sound quality.

The reviews from those with better ear's than I can be found on the web, but I am thrilled with the purchase and the cord, milled aluminium buds are first rate.

Collapse -
I have the same problem!
by sunblocker64 / January 10, 2009 1:04 AM PST

I used to go through earbuds at about a pair for every six months. Now I have a different mp3 player that is bigger than my other one and I go through them faster. I know it's because I wrap the cord around my mp3 player, but I take it everywhere and that's pretty much the only way I can do it without having them be a tangled mess.

I'm sick of shelling out cash on earbuds that die fast!

I used to just but the cheapest decent ones on the shelf- 10-15 bucks. I got a Koss pair for around 30 a month ago, and they have already died on me. Either one bud doesn't work or the sound gets all fuzzy and distorted.

I want to know the most durable brand of earbud for under 40 bucks. Sound doesn't matter as much, just as long as they have strong wires.

HELP!!!

Collapse -
You might want to try a cord organizer
by make_or_break / January 11, 2010 4:52 AM PST

With cheap headphones you're going to get flimsy wire connections; that's more or less a given. Heck, even with expensive headphones you may get low-budget wire connections; ask anyone who's had to send their Shure E500/SE530 back for replacement and you'll find that it's more often than not because of a wire failure at the earpiece.

Most cord organizers are small and typically cheap, so when you take them in and out of your pocket they won't expose your headphones to adjacent objects or the rough edges of zippers nearly as much as when you're wrapping your earphones around your player. An example would be the following, but you should be able to find these anywhere without having to order online:

http://www.sourcingmap.com/larger_image.php?products_image=ux_a09071300ux0017_ux_&products_id=41647&products_imageType=jpg

Collapse -
Skullcandy
by the_hendo / January 10, 2010 11:20 AM PST

I have to agree with some of the other posters above - Skullcandy makes some great earbuds, and they're pretty durable as well. That's the direction I would point you.
http://www.highestratedearbuds.com/

Collapse -
mx-680
by gavn13 / December 27, 2010 9:36 AM PST
Collapse -
Sony MDR-J10
by Solitaire001 / December 27, 2010 4:40 PM PST

I've had a great deal of success with the Sony MDR-J10 type earclips. I've been using the same pair for more than a year, and my last pair lasted several years before they finally broke (when I accidentally damaged the cord).

I haven't had a problem with durability with them, and they are fairly inexpensive (I've paid less than 20 USD for a pair). When it comes time to replace them, I will get another pair of the same type.

I like the way they sound (to my ears they don't noticably enhance any frequency range) and they are the only type of headphones that I'm able to wear for long periods of time without discomfort. Not only are they comfortable to wear, but they stay firmly in place when I put them on (when the cord has been pulled on my player has gone flying before the earclips came off of my ears).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.