Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Duplicate emails in Yahoo

by waltseale / April 24, 2007 12:00 AM PDT

I'm a yahoo email user and I get two copies of each email in my yahoo inbox (and three my outlook inbox!). I've tried contacting them and they assure me via an auto message that the problem is solved (of course, I get two copies of this message also!) any help?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Duplicate emails in Yahoo
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Duplicate emails in Yahoo
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You Didn't Mention Which Version Of Microsoft Outlook ...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 24, 2007 12:30 AM PDT

...you're using? Or are you using Outlook Express? Either way, you might try changing the settings for Outlook/Outlook Express so it doesn't leave a copy of the message on the server.. For example, open Outlook, click on Tools-Email Accounts-"View or Change existing accounts", select the account and click "Change". Click the "More Settings" button and look on the "Advanced" tab. UNCHECK the box that says: "Leave Copy of Message on Server". Both Outlook and Outlook Express will have similar settings.

If I remember correctly, Outlook will only delete the message from the server after it's downloaded a copy.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
outlook 2003 sp2
by waltseale / April 24, 2007 12:42 AM PDT

I can try your suggestion right away but curiously my inbox in yahoo also has two copies of each message so I'm not sure it is only an outlook issue. thanks for the help.

Collapse -
Make Sure To....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 24, 2007 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: outlook 2003 sp2

...Clean out your inbox entirely using Yahoo's webmail AFTER downloading the mail with Outlook. A corrupted message in your Yahoo inbox could be causing part of the problem.. So...download to Outlook with the new settings established.. Then visit Yahoo and clean out the Inbox and all other mail folders as well, if possible.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
duplicates in receiving emails with yahoo
by DrLinSong / January 4, 2014 1:59 PM PST

Hi, I sent off an email to my friends yesterday from my Hotmail account. This morning two of my friends who are using Yahoo told me that they received over 100 duplicated copies of my email.

Then, I check my own Yahoo account and found I got 300 duplicates of the same email. Whats happened????

This is only happened with yahoo account in receiving email! My other friends who are using other email services are OK.

Any ideas to prevent this?

Collapse -
duplicates in receiving emails with yahoo
by JayWBeck / January 5, 2014 9:43 AM PST

I write a hiking document that I send out to 70 people. All those who have yahoo.com addresses, a total of 8 out of the 70, are reporting getting duplicates of my email. The others with a variety of ISP addresses are having no problem -that is, only getting one copy of the mail I sent. The issue seems to have started within the weeks around Chrisstmas/New Years. For years prior I have used the same addresses and had no problem. Some of my unfortunate recipients report 30 or more copies within a day or two.

Collapse -
Dupliucate emails in Yahoo
by JayWBeck / January 5, 2014 11:24 AM PST

I'm going to make a guess about this issue:
I sending my eMail using the SSL option (secure sockets), over port 110
I think I'm seeing Yahoo talk about wanting this on port 995.
This may result in repeated sends because the message is not officially getting through but seems to be handled and passed on to the intended receiver by Yahoo anyway, once for each sender's attempt.

Keep in mind this is a 'guess'

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.