Windows 7 forum

General discussion

dumb question I'm sure

by itsdigger / March 27, 2013 11:41 AM PDT

But ! Here it is.....I installed a Windows 7 upgrade over my Vista, if I make restore discs now, would it be a complete OS or if I had to re-install Windows for some reason would I still have to install Vista first? ...Digger

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: dumb question I'm sure
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: dumb question I'm sure
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If the procedure is the one that came with the PC,
by wpgwpg / March 27, 2013 11:55 AM PDT
In reply to: dumb question I'm sure

If the procedure is the one that came with the PC, it would restore Vista to like it was when the computer was new. Then you'd need to reinstall the Windows 7 upgrade. At least that's the only way I've ever seen or heard of it working. So what you should do is get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program like Easeus Todo Backup Free and keep full system backups so you don't have to go through all that reinstall hassle again.

Collapse -
If You're Using the Win7 "System Image Disc" Option...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 27, 2013 12:54 PM PDT
In reply to: dumb question I'm sure'll be creating a fully operational Windows 7 computer image.. Just like if you used any other "ghosting/imaging" software available on the market.. The "System Image Disc" on Win7 is much the same as other imaging software and can be used to reinstall the image on a new hard drive, should it be necessary. Since you've installed Windows 7 over the top of Vista, the current, running version is Windows 7.. A newly created System Image disc will make a backup as it CURRENTLY exists on the hard drive and should install the operating system and software likewise when you need it. It doesn't take you back to the original state of the computer from the factory.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Thanks Grif
by itsdigger / March 27, 2013 1:14 PM PDT

That makes sense . I have a couple of sets of recovery discs for Vista and didn't want to re-create the same ones, so I'll go ahead and create the new 7 discs. Thank you too wpgwpg , I should buy and external but I really don't keep much on this computer , nothing I can't lose...Digger

Collapse -
I made my Windows 7 image discs
by itsdigger / March 29, 2013 12:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Grif

and tried to boot off of disc 1 but it wouldn't boot up. I hit ctl alt delete to boot normally and the disc shows a bunch of files and ask how I wanted to open them. Am I missing something ?

Collapse -
And You Made The "System Repair Disc" Also?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 30, 2013 2:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
Yes I made the repair disc also
by itsdigger / March 30, 2013 3:00 AM PDT

This newbie is a bonehead. Thanks again

Collapse -
Man What A Breeze That Was
by itsdigger / March 30, 2013 5:06 AM PDT

I tried out my new Windows 7 Image Disks and it just took a few minutes to completely install . No reloading Vista and all the updates first . OUTSTANDING !!! Thanks again Grif ....Digger

Collapse -
I'm doing the same thing
by itsdigger / March 30, 2013 11:18 AM PDT

on the Dell Inspiron 530S that Bob Proffit helped me resurrect now. I did the whole smear installing Vista than Win 7 upgrade and making my system image discs. So here's my new question>>> If I were to install a Linux distro and give it a say 30GB partition than I used my Win 7 image disks and reloaded Win 7, would the Linux distro still be there or even the partition?

Collapse -
Ha ! Answered my own question
by itsdigger / April 1, 2013 9:08 AM PDT

Now that I made my image disc's I installed a Linux distro and gave it a 100GB partition. Than I used the Image disc's to see what happened and it erased the Linux partition and I have the whole c drive back. Groovy !

Collapse -
(NT) Yep.. Good Job!
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 1, 2013 10:52 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.