The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Dumb Buzzwords Must Die

by cyndymcc / June 3, 2008 2:08 AM PDT

Are there others out there who are annoyed by the growing use of the term "future-proof" in tech collateral and magazine articles?

It doesn't even make sense, IMO. If something is fire-proof, it's impervious to fire. Waterproof = protected from water. I don't see how protecting me from the future is a positive thing. Yes, I know what marketers mean when they use the word in their copy...but that doesn't make it less dumb.

I thought we were finished with this buzzword / buzzphrase silliness.

/:{

Cyndy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dumb Buzzwords Must Die
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dumb Buzzwords Must Die
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's part of the human condition
by 4Denise / June 3, 2008 3:16 AM PDT

This tendency of ours will never die. Sorry.

Denise

Collapse -
(NT) What is the human condition you're referencing?
by cyndymcc / June 3, 2008 6:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
My First Computer Was Future Proof
by Renegade Knight / June 3, 2008 4:38 AM PDT

When the time came to upgrade to the "future" the upgrade cost more than the newer computers made by others. That's becasue it turns out what future proofed my computer in the once since. Literally made it future proof in the actual meaning of the words sense.

Hooah!

Collapse -
I'm not sure what's changed...
by PressAnyKey / June 3, 2008 8:29 AM PDT

to make buzzwords like "futureproof" obsolete. In fact I expect that this tendency will continue to grow.

Collapse -
Why would you even want that?
by Aeirlys / June 3, 2008 11:08 AM PDT

Saying that something's future-proof implies that, at least in terms of whatever is being marketed, we have reached the end of all possibilities. The connotation is disturbing.

Collapse -
(NT) Precisely! Thanks for the validation
by cyndymcc / June 3, 2008 12:14 PM PDT
Collapse -
If it quacks like a duck . . .
by Vegaman_Dan / June 4, 2008 3:30 AM PDT

"In our customer-centric world we must focus on our core competencies in a proactive manner with an action plan to repurpose our synergistic resources effectively in a timely manner to which we can maximize the skills transfer and integrate our misson-critical infrastructure in such a means as to minimize the impact to our empowerment process needs."

In other words, you're fired.

Collapse -
Hysterical book "Why Businesspeople Speak Like Idiots"
by cyndymcc / August 3, 2008 12:49 PM PDT

by Brian Fugere, Chelsea Hardaway and Jon Warshawsky

Collapse -
Future proof?
by punterjoe / August 4, 2008 10:47 AM PDT

I prefer the term "progress resistant" Wink

Collapse -
Or learning curve ;)
by Nicholas Buenk / August 4, 2008 6:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Future proof?

I prefer the term "progress resistant user". Wink

Collapse -
(NT) "Feature-proof" is more like it
by cyndymcc / August 9, 2008 1:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Future proof?
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.