Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Dual video card setup

by Ajtessin / November 6, 2003 6:57 AM PST

I am trying to run two monitors at the same time. I have the first card installed fine (NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 PCI), which supports the dual monitor feature. I installed the second card (ATI 3D Rage IIC PCI), but windows cannot install the driver for it. The device manager says "Device cannot be started (code 10)". I tried reinstalling the card, troubleshooting everything...Anybody have any suggestions as to why windows wont install the driver for this card?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dual video card setup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dual video card setup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Dual video card setup
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2003 7:08 AM PST
In reply to: Dual video card setup

I think you've found your issue, The IIC is a very old card and no dual monitor drivers were developed. Since you have one NVidia card already, I will share that I installed a PCI NVidia card and that worked nicely for a dual display without using a DUAL-output display card.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Dual video card setup
by Ajtessin / November 6, 2003 7:11 AM PST

So what do I need to do to set it up in the same manner that you did?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Dual video card setup
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2003 9:50 AM PST

"So what do I need to do to set it up in the same manner that you did?"

If I was unclear, please point out how I was unclear. In my first reply I wrote "I will share that I installed a PCI NVidia card and that worked nicely for a dual display without using a DUAL-output display card."

Bob

Collapse -
by David Chan / November 6, 2003 7:48 AM PST
Collapse -
by Distech / February 23, 2005 8:23 PM PST

Setting up two single cards vs one dual support card helps in the issue if someone is playing a full screen game.

With two separate cards you still have the ability to slide the cursor to the unused monitor. As with a dual support card, the cursor is locked on one screen if the main monitor is in use by a full screen game.

Collapse -
Dual video card setup
by elec999 / February 25, 2005 12:21 AM PST

I was playing with dual video card setup today. When googling I came this post, and a forum post.
I am using a agp and a pci card. Basicilly you have to set in the bios so that your pci card is the primary card, then once in windows the exclamation mark will disappear from both of your video cards and you will be have to use dual monitor, play around with which monitor to be primary monitor, etc.
Please refer to this thread
http://www.techspot.com/vb/archive/index/t-5115.html
I hope this helped.
Thanks

Collapse -
HCL and making it all work.
by ParnaoidGuy / February 24, 2005 9:51 AM PST

Setting up two video cards has always gone very easily for me, so let me try a few troubleshooting steps.

First- is your hardware xp compatible and do you havethe drivers for it. I don't do research for people that can do it themselves. I am not trying to be harsh, but the those are both major vendors so add a www and a .com to the company names and look em up.

Second, video cards and NICs have some funky zen stuff going on with the way PnP works. Try moving the lowest video card to a higher slot. Trust me, it can work like magic.

Third, and I am surprised no one else noticed this, but you are using two pci cards. No AGP? at all? Not even built in? How many displays do you want when this is all said and done?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.