Desktops forum

Question

Dual Monitor Issue

by RM576 / January 20, 2013 4:26 AM PST

I am running Windows 8 and have two monitors and a graphic tablet connected to a NVidia GeForce GTX 590 Card. On previous versions of Windows it was easy to switch between my second monitor and tablet but since upgrading to Windows 8 I don't get an image on the second monitor. What is strange is that I can see the mouse pointer!!

I have tried making the 2nd monitor the 'main monitor' but then I don't have an image on any display. When I swap the connectors round, I do get an 'extended display' but it behaves strangely. When I click 'Identify', my main monitor is shown as number 1 though the second one behaves as such (that is the one I set as the 'Main Display' before swapping the leads round).

Running a program launches in the second monitor. If I swap the leads back round, I only get an image on my main monitor and the mouse cursor in the second.

The same thing happens with the graphics tablet.

I have tried every combination of lead to port on the Card. The only way I can get an extended display is as above.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dual Monitor Issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dual Monitor Issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Could be the drivers are not ready.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2013 2:54 PM PST
In reply to: Dual Monitor Issue

Go back to the OS that worked for now. Ask the machine's makers when the drivers will be ready.

If no one told you, Windows 8 is new and just like the last time it can take a year or 2 for drivers and support to arrive.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Drivers not ready
by RM576 / January 21, 2013 7:44 PM PST

Thank you R Proffitt - I am aware that Windows 8 is a new product and have downloaded the correct drivers for the monitors in question.

However, I believe it is a Windows issue - the monitors work individually when connected to the primary port on the graphics card. The issue is not being able to get an 'extended display' through Control Panel/Display/Change Display Settings

Collapse -
Let's say it is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 12:33 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Drivers not ready

Then you know who to call next. This is history repeating itself so you know this story.

Once in a while you get someone that didn't live through the OS changes and will make statement they have the correct drivers but they can't be convinced the product is still a work in progress.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Win8 and issues
by Willy / January 22, 2013 12:47 AM PST

I agree with Robert, Win8 is still too new and users are finding out it doesn't do or gets away from what older OSes did. Win8 is suppose to be more "tablet" form which by its nature refers to a tablet world of a single display. If the video card's own manager doesn't show or provide anything that resolves this, because after the OS, its the only other item that controls the display(s) output.

>>> an 'extended display' but it behaves strangely <<< Well, that provides a clue as it isn't ready to work or has failed to really get there. It falls on the shoulders of the video makers or the OS to provide the fix. Understand a graphics tablets isn't a monitor but another PC so in most cases you can't marry these devices together. It becomes more complicated and no that wasn't the intention of typical dual monitor setups. Unless, i missed you description correctly, I don't see a quick answer for you.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.