Windows 8 forum

Resolved Question

dual booting in WIN 8

by lvartist / March 22, 2013 6:54 AM PDT

Just installed Win 8 on a new hard drive. "Almost" everything works fine. However my scanner, colorimeter and a couple programs are not compatible. I do not need to use the incompatible hardware/software very often. But when I do, I would like to boot the computer into XP and use them. I've done some research on this topic. Partitioning the Win 8 primary drive does not appear to be an issue. But, can I dual boot 2 operating systems if Win 8 is now the primary and only OS on the HD?

lvartist has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: dual booting in WIN 8
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: dual booting in WIN 8
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by lvartist

Collapse -
And the other way.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2013 7:55 AM PDT
In reply to: dual booting in WIN 8

I have this one last thing I run XP for. It's some USB Microscope and because VirtualBox gives me USB support through the VM I installed VirtualBox and put XP in a box. Just super for that occasional need.
Bob

Collapse -
Vitual Box
by lvartist / March 22, 2013 8:13 AM PDT
In reply to: And the other way.
Collapse -
Looks close.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2013 1:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Vitual Box
Collapse -
thanks
by lvartist / March 23, 2013 11:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Looks close.

Downloaded the files from virtualbox.org. Got everything up and running. Required a couple attempts at a VirtualBox install. Had problems getting it to recognize a flashdrive. Finally succeeded.

I am mainly using VB to run an old version of QuickBooks. It works ok.

Ideally I would still like to be able to dual boot. The screen in VB is a bit limiting.

Thanks for your help and recommendations.

Collapse -
Here I can make the virtualbox full screen.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 24, 2013 7:08 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

But as you discovered, dual boot has its issues. Such as install order, costs for the OSes and more.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
The normal way to do it is Windows 8 last
by wpgwpg / March 22, 2013 7:22 AM PDT
In reply to: dual booting in WIN 8

The normal (and recommended) way to do dual boot is to install the oldest OS first, in your case this would be XP. Then install the newest OS (Windows Cool last. This works well on numerous PCs I've set up this way. There are ways to do it the other way, but personally I don't recommend them because they seem too complicated and error prone. The other approach would be virtualization with something like Hyper-V or Oracle Virtual Box which would allow you to run a licensed copy of XP under Windows 8. Oracle Virtual Box is much much easier and workable than Hyper-V. Virtualization would give you the advantage of not having to reboot to get XP running.

Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.