Cameras

General discussion

DSLR with HD video?

by conoronor / May 29, 2009 11:54 AM PDT

So I've been looking at DSLRs lately and I'm not sure if I want to get one that shoots HD video OR a cheaper one that doesn't and also get a camcorder. I am an artist and I am going to be using both to mostly shoot my work. I need manual controls, really nice results, and low light quality is important but I would also be using it on vacation etc... So what do you guys think? I have been really looking at the Canon T1i, but I'm not sure. It sort of seems like its either the T1i or something a little older (D70?) and a Canon Vixia. However, I am a young artist so money is most definitely an issue, but I want to be getting something that will be serving me well for years to come.

Any opinions? Thanks in advance

Conor
www.conoronor.blogspot.com

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DSLR with HD video?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DSLR with HD video?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For the longer term ?
by jump1127 / May 29, 2009 1:20 PM PDT
In reply to: DSLR with HD video?

How about the new Canon 500D? I'm not sure what's called in the US. It's an affordable DSLR with excellent video equipped. The benefits of DSLR with video is that you can change to the brighter lenses in the long term. Quite an investment, but worth trial.

Collapse -
Canon 500D is called T1i in US
by hjfok / May 29, 2009 6:02 PM PDT
In reply to: For the longer term ?

Agree. The HD video looks good and is a nice bonus feature. Able to have interchangeable lenses for HD video used to be found only in high end prosumer and pro camcorders, but now it is available for entry level D-SLR. Interchangeable lens camcorder bodies alone costs $3000+(the lenses starts at $1000+, so a basic kit lens camcorder setup costs about $4000+). This makes the T1i looks like a bargin.

Collapse -
Yes and no
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / May 29, 2009 7:25 PM PDT
In reply to: DSLR with HD video?

For extremely good artsy video then the T1i will do a great job. For vacation, it will suffer. There's one caveat in doing nice "film style" videos with the entry level cameras, it's that it doesn't have an external mic input and the on-board mic isn't very good. To get good sound you'll have to have a separate recorded that is synced later to the video.

The problem with vacation is that the AF is either done manually or done by pushing a button. The AF doesn't change until you manually do it or hit the button again. That won't make it very easy to use for focusing on vacation.

DSLRs are not close to the ability of normal usage like in a nice video camera. I really doubt that Canon will really make that happen because it would eat up their video camera market, and they have to figure out how to get rid of the rolling shutter problem.

Collapse -
agreed with the sound problem.
by jump1127 / May 30, 2009 6:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes and no

DSLR camera with 1080 video seems to have a great deal problem with the microphone. My recent trip to Iran, I shot some landscape sceneries with my 5D mark II; the voice wasn't really so impressive. Unlike the video, the focus is slow and better manually achieved. But, the benefits lie upon more kind of lenses to shoot for, such as wide angle and telephoto lenses. So, you have to trade off whether it's the only motion picture you want or the real multivision video.

Collapse -
Sound
by mattdot / June 3, 2009 6:41 PM PDT

Even with the true camcorders, you need to use an external mic to get good sound. The built-in mics on the camcorders are better, but still not good by any stretch of the imagination.

Collapse -
The problem is
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / June 3, 2009 7:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Sound

The 5D MarkII is the only DSLR that has a jack for an external mic. The Panasonic GH1(EVIL not DSLR) has a jack for an external mic. It wouldn't be that much to buy an external mic to attach. The Panasonic one goes into the hotshoe. With all of the DSLR, excluding the MarkII, you are stuck with only the option of the included mic, unless you plan on recording separately, using a clip board, and syncing together later on. The camcorder mics are also easy to mount too.

Collapse -
Nikon D300s
by photopayne2 / June 29, 2011 4:12 PM PDT
In reply to: The problem is

My Nikon D300s has an external mic port...I haven't tried it yet but it's there....

Collapse -
Digital Camera Advancement
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 30, 2011 12:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Nikon D300s

Thanks for the update.
The thread you respond to was concluded in the year of 2009.
Cameras continue to advance.
You will see even more DSLR cameras with external microphone ports in the future.
It costs very little for the camera maker to include that port on newer cameras.
The next goal for us is to have an improved automatic gain control.
The present one is "bare bones" and insufficient.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.