Cameras forum

General discussion

DSLR recommendation

by rayj50 / July 24, 2010 1:06 AM PDT

hi all

I wish to purchase a DSLR for under $1000 with lens kit included, i am considering getting a SONY NEX-5. but i am wondering what other alternatives are out there for under $1000.

Can someone please suggest other alternatives which may be better than the NEX

thanks ^__^

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DSLR recommendation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DSLR recommendation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Canon or Panasonic
by PistonCupChampion / July 24, 2010 2:58 AM PDT
In reply to: DSLR recommendation

The Sony is sexy looking, but most reviews I've seen don't give it a very strong recommendation. If you want a similarly smaller sized camera, the Panasonic DMC-GF1 is probably the top choice. If you are willing to move to a "standard" sized DSLR, the best reviews are for the Canon T2i.

Collapse -
thanks
by rayj50 / July 24, 2010 5:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Canon or Panasonic

thanks for the suggestion Happy

Collapse -
Sounds like you don't want a DSLR
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / July 24, 2010 5:03 AM PDT

The NEX cameras are not DSLRs. It looks like you want the compact interchangeable lens cameras. Those are great for the people that don't plan on learning about photography or taking control of the camera, which is what the DSLR is for. The NEX has done well in reviews, when being considered for the point and shoot person but does fail in many ways for the amateur or more serious photographer.

Collapse -
DSLR vs EVIL camera
by hjfok / July 27, 2010 6:44 AM PDT

If you are serious about photo image quality, then D-SLR will be better.

Sony's NEX, Panasonic's GH1/GF1, Olympus' PEN 1/2/EPL1, Samsung's NX10 etc all have some serious drawbacks. The camera body is smaller but the lenses are still bulky, so its size and proportion to the lens are somewhat awkward. The autofocus (esp continuous AF) and speed (fps) are subpar even to the entry level D-SLR. But the most limiting problem is the lack of lens choice. Sure, there are lens mount adaptors for the regular line of lenses but these lenses are really out of proportion to the camera body, quite awkward to operate. It is like a toddler wearing XL clown shoes walking around. Furthermore the accessories are proprietary and hard to find compatible third party accessories. This type of camera is new and evolving fast, and holds promise of a true hybrid camera/camcorder. One day it may overtake D-SLR in the consumer market, but that day has not yet arrived. If you really like this type of cameras, then you should wait for the next few generations.

For today, the D-SLR still has the best performance and flexibility, though not portability.

Collapse -
recommendation
by rayj50 / July 27, 2010 6:45 PM PDT
In reply to: DSLR vs EVIL camera

which DSLR would your recommend for under 1000K ?

Collapse -
Depends on several factors
by hjfok / July 29, 2010 11:27 AM PDT
In reply to: recommendation

Buying D-SLR is actually buying a system, usually the camera body, a few lenses, and a bunch of accessories depending on your needs.

So one should spend no more than half the budget on the camera body, so that there is money to spend on lenses, external bounce flash and other accessories. I spent less than 1/3 of the budget on the camera bodies.

For $1000, this is really not much for a D-SLR system. If your budget is flexible with possibility to spend more in the future to buy more lenses and accessories, then you can spend more on the camera body now but expect your final budget to be about double of what you spent on your current camera body. Some people may think that they only need one or two lenses, and just use the pop-up flash. Well, these people are not getting the most out of using a D-SLR. So it depends on what you need and want.

For the budget minded buyer, Pentax K-x has good values but its performance is not as fast as the higher end models of Canon and Nikon. But obviously you will spend a lot more on the higher end Canon and Nikon to get that better performance. The Pentax D-SLR has good image quality, on par with the Canon and Nikon entry level models. If you have plans to do some fast action or sports photography, then you may want to consider spending more money on a Canon or Nikon (but you may end up spending hundreds or thousands more). You can get the Pentax Kx with an 18-55mm kit lens for just a little over $500, with money left over to buy a tele, an external bounce flash and perhaps even a bright lens for low light photography.

Collapse -
thanks for your help
by rayj50 / July 29, 2010 2:46 PM PDT

ahh i see, thanks for your help

Collapse -
re ...toddler wearing XL clown shoes...
by MarkatNite / July 28, 2010 7:43 AM PDT
In reply to: DSLR vs EVIL camera

Best analogy ever! Happy

And I second the T2i suggestion above - Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.