Cameras forum

Question

DSLR or Mirrorless for video, what to buy?

by yabish / September 22, 2013 8:54 PM PDT

I am looking for a camera with good photo and video quality, and was uncertain about what to buy. Mirrorless size and portability is probably a key feature for me.

So the two models that I was considering for an entry level are:

- Sony Alpha Nex 5R
- Nikon D3100

I have checked their features and it seems to me that the Sony is better, but then I checked some video tests and the D3100 seems to have better quality and a more cinematic look.

Are Mirrorless cameras lagging behind DSLR for video capture?

thanks very much

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DSLR or Mirrorless for video, what to buy?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DSLR or Mirrorless for video, what to buy?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I wouldn't hesitate to go mirrorless
by jrhmobile / September 27, 2013 11:11 AM PDT

I don't know what you like for a look, but you can find it in a quality mirrorless camera. I don't know the Sony, but I've worked with the Nikon models and they're sweet. Lighting is worth as much as lenses when you're shooting video, so I'd make my choice and start putting together my light kit.

Collapse -
Answer
Do you really need this in one device?
by Zouch / September 27, 2013 11:08 PM PDT

You know what they say, "Jack of all trades, master of none".

It depends on how much video you want to do relative to your still work. If it's minimal, yes, go for a still camera with video capability. Since this would imply that your stills are more important, I'd go for the best still camera and that would be a DSLR.

If the video is paramount, I'd go for a dedicated video camera - they are designed for the job, typically have a better zoom and lighting controls and most are capable of taking still shots, though not as well as a DSLR.

But that would mean carrying two devices and as you will have discovered, DSLRs are not exactly lightweight!

Collapse -
Answer
First, the camera does not make or take the shot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2013 11:41 PM PDT

I'm sure you've read that line. And VIDEO is something you may want to move to camcorders (still!) But it's a very versatile device.

As to your last question, I'm going with no. They seem to suffer the same issues as the ones with mirrors.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
DSLR
by TechsavvyP / September 30, 2013 10:11 AM PDT

I think you should go with a DSLR. So choose the Nikon D3100. I just bought a Canon EOS Rebel T3i and I really enjoy it. The camera is great along with the video; however, while the T4i can create a better video the T3i was more in my budget. I don't know too much about Sony as cameras but Nikon and Canon are pretty similar.

I have a video link of my review of the T3i: http://www.youtube.com/user/techsavvyP

Collapse -
Answer
digital camera
by lucielovett / October 6, 2013 3:56 PM PDT

Hi everyone,
I am fond of photography but there are so many cameras available in market that I was confused while choosing the best camera. All thanks to my sweet and lovely friend she told me to buy Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX100 which helped me to take the beautiful pictures even in low light. As compared to other cameras I found Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX100 the best one. If you want to see your inner photographers go ahead with Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX100 for full review about this camera you can visit the below links.
http://www.gizmobeat.info/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-qx100-compact-camera-to-smartphone-with-wi-fi
Thanks
Lucie

Collapse -
Impractical
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / October 7, 2013 12:37 AM PDT
In reply to: digital camera

You MUST have an Apple iPhone and be in an area where WiFi is available.

The QX100 can be physically attached to an iPhone but communcation is by WiFi only

More a gimmick than a useful device.

For the curious I suggest you see a review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3jgKD2ascc

Warning! some bad language.

Collapse -
Answer
DSLR vs Mirrorless
by hjfok / October 23, 2013 11:55 AM PDT

I have both and can share some of my experience. The Mirrorless video is easier to use and focus than D-SLR, so I prefer the mirrorless for video. But most people are buying camera primarily for its still photography capabilities, the video is secondary and more like a bonus convenience.

Which one to buy? It depends on what you want to do.

If you need a camera for low light actions, low light photography, professional quality portraits with nice pleasing bokeh, rugged dependable performance in extreme environment, then invest in a D-SLR with with nice pro quality lenses. It is both hefty in price and actual weight.

If you need a portable system for travel and family photography, then a Mirrorless system will do a very good job. Mirrorless can do a pretty nice job comparable to an entry level D-SLR with the cheaper kit-lenses. If you do not need the expensive fast/bright D-SLR lenses, then I prefer the Mirrorless for its portability.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

SEEING COLORS?

What do the color stripes mean on your tires?

Brian Cooley tells you why you might see various color lines on the wheels of your automobile.