Computer Help forum

General discussion

DSL Modem shut off

by GeorgeCant2010 / July 29, 2010 11:08 AM PDT

Leave my comp internet connected most of the time. Woke up thsi morning. Comp was on as it should be. But DSL box off. Wasn't like that when I went to sleep last night. Could it turn off if the DSL connection was lost for a period of time?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DSL Modem shut off
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DSL Modem shut off
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did the comp go to sleep mode and woke itself up
by LucJPatenaude / July 30, 2010 1:32 AM PDT
In reply to: DSL Modem shut off

after a scheduled time?

Say, are you in the countryside and far from the urban areas or, what?

Collapse -
(NT) Not sure what you mean
by GeorgeCant2010 / July 31, 2010 4:42 AM PDT
Collapse -
Unless You Pushed the Power Button On The DSL Modem...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 31, 2010 8:19 AM PDT
In reply to: DSL Modem shut off should not turn off.. Was the modem's power button OFF? If so, there is nothing that can do such a thing other than someone physically pushing the button..

On the other hand, if the power button was ON and the modem was OFF, I'll ask you how you determined the modem to be OFF.. ?

Instead, as was mentioned by the other poster, if the computer went to "Sleep", it's common to lose an internet connection because of general operating system ineptitude.. If that's the case, then the modem didn't actually go OFF but instead the computer simply had problems recognizing the internet or its internal IP address.. A computer restart usually fixes such issues as it allows the computer to restart drivers, etc. and re-recognize the connection again..

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by GeorgeCant2010 / July 31, 2010 12:16 PM PDT

Firts thanks Griff for responding
But I knew the DSL Modem was off becaus ethere were no green lights, not for the power, Ethernet, DSL, or internet

Collapse -
(NT) And How Did You Power It Up Again?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 31, 2010 12:49 PM PDT
In reply to: actually
Collapse -
But my original question?
by GeorgeCant2010 / August 2, 2010 11:54 AM PDT

are there any AT&T DSL users in the North Texas area who are starting to experience more frequent DSL disconnects?

Collapse -
So, you are on a county road and, far away from Dallas,
by LucJPatenaude / August 2, 2010 2:03 PM PDT

Austin or, even Houston.

Is there a small town or village nearby, that can address your immediate need to fix the signal booster installed nearby your house? Since DSL is a modem box for telephone internet connection.

Better go see and, inform yourself on that phone line.

Good Luck! Wink

Collapse -
sorry Grif, I confused my posts
by GeorgeCant2010 / August 2, 2010 11:55 AM PDT

How did I power back up the DSL Modem? as you probabably have discerned from my otehr posts,
turned off PC
unpluggeg DSL Modem power cable from back of teh modem
then plugged in power cable

Collapse -
I Would Get A New Modem
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 3, 2010 3:39 AM PDT

If the modem is powering off by itself and you're having the connection issues as you've listed, the modem is the most probable culprit.

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.