Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

DSL modem - can I buy/install my own, is compatibility a pro

by Razzzberri / May 8, 2008 11:21 AM PDT

My Mickey Mouse phone company (Citizen's Telecom/Frontier Communications) wants an arm and a leg to "rent" their 356k DSL wireless modem each month. But they say I can buy one from a third party, & they'll hook it up for $25. I'd like to be able to buy & intall one myself, but I'm not sure which type I'll need, which manufacturer is best. Gateway, 2 Wire, or whichever company can provide the cheapest that will do the job. I am a senior citizen, running MAC OSX10.4.11. Can anyone advise me? Every penny counts.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DSL modem - can I buy/install my own, is compatibility a pro
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DSL modem - can I buy/install my own, is compatibility a pro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 8, 2008 9:42 PM PDT

I loaned my DSL modem to a neighbor for troubleshooting. So while hookup is a breeze sometimes they must do that step if a wiring change is required in some external box. But you should be able to install the thing.

But back to setup. I can't count how many know knowthing about PPPoE. If you don't you may not be ready to install.

Collapse -
I can set up the network preferences...
by Razzzberri / May 9, 2008 12:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Just sharing.

I can set up any acct information, preferences, etc - just need to know what DSL modem would be easiest and most compatible with my provider and my MAC OS.

Collapse -
So you know PPPoE?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2008 12:16 AM PDT

If not, let them do it the first time. Also if you didn't research PPPoE. It shows you may have issues.

Collapse -
dsl set-up
by rudster2005 / May 9, 2008 12:43 AM PDT
In reply to: So you know PPPoE?

call the geeksquad and have them come to your home and take care of it and also get a tune-up and it,s all covered if you have a problem down the road. Sometimes we just have to pay!

Collapse -
I've installed a modem before..l
by Razzzberri / May 9, 2008 1:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Just sharing.

At my FL home, I've installed a PPPoE (point-to-point protocol over ethernet) ethernet modem and separate wireless router on an AT&T line successfully. I want to try it myself on this phone line from Mickey Mouse telecom, but I need to know what type wireless DSL modem works best with my MAC OS.

This phone company charges $19.99 per month for dial-up so slow that the connection times out before pages load. Its cost for the "light" (cheapest) DSL is $29.99, + $3.99 for modem rental. I'll only use it for 6 mos of my one year mandated contract, so instead of paying $33.98 a month for 12 months, I'll effectively be paying $67.96 per month actual usage. Mickey Mouse telecom has no provision for temporarily suspending service, as other companies do. I don't want to pay them 1 cent more than necessary!!

Collapse -
There you go.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2008 2:03 AM PDT

Writing just a bit more tells me you shouldn't have any issue. I didn't know that you had setup this before or what country you were in.

Go for it.

Collapse -
Which has best support for MAC?
by Razzzberri / May 9, 2008 2:08 AM PDT
In reply to: There you go.

THANX for everything, now...

LINKSYS has lousy support for MAC, any clues about which manufacturer has decent support?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2008 2:34 AM PDT

But you don't need it. For a setup with modem then a router you just have the router do the PPPoE login.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.