Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Dsl Help

by Lori73 / May 6, 2007 2:23 AM PDT

Hi, I would like to try dsl. The problem I have is that the computer that I use is in a room that dosen't have a phone jack. It has a phone line going to the room from another room. My dad put a duplex plug into the phone jack from the other room and added a phone line, which goes to my room with the computer.
I would like to know if I can get dsl for my room.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dsl Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dsl Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The phone line
by PudgyOne / May 6, 2007 3:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Dsl Help

to your computer, must have its own separate line. The other phone lines must have a DSL filter hooked up to them (Phone, answering machine, fax, etc.). If you can isolate the phone line to your computerm then you can hook up a DSL modem. The DSL modem is the only phone line that will NOT have a DSL filter.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
dsl
by Lori73 / May 7, 2007 4:42 AM PDT
In reply to: The phone line

Ok, this is my understaing of your information:
1. I have in a room that is without a phonejack, however I'm currently using a a duple spliter which is in another room. I'm using one side of the duplex thingy for my telephone plug in and one side of the duplex thingy for my computer.
2. You're sayiing I can add dsl as long as I put a filter in one side of the duplex thingy.
3. Now this is my understanding; My duplex thingy is pluged into the phone jack. One side to telephone which will need a filter. One side going directly to the computer, which will not need a filter.
I just need you to explain it to me like you would a two year old:)
Could I possible get a wireless modem thingy for my desktop compter?
Thanks Lori

Collapse -
Diagram
by PudgyOne / May 7, 2007 5:41 AM PDT
In reply to: dsl

Here goes

wall > duplex thingy > DSL Filter > phone

> duplex thingy > DSL Modem > wireless router or Wired computer

All other phone outlets in the house will need a DSL Filter.

Rick

Collapse -
dsl
by FshrKing / May 8, 2007 12:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Diagram

Thanks for all the help, I really, really appreciate it.

Collapse -
Wireless
by pacsit66 / May 8, 2007 4:08 AM PDT

One consideration (possibly) is the amount of wires to do this project. And as you had asked about wireless I thought I'd throw in that if you used a wireless router straight from your DSL line your computer wouldn't have to be around anywires. In fact you may find a combo dsl/wireless router that would really simplify things (ask your local internet service provider if this is available). Of course you will need a wireless card for your PC but you can purchase a simple USB device for $30-$40 at Officemax or a similar store.
Good Luck!

Collapse -
DSL in the other room
by john3347 / May 11, 2007 11:07 PM PDT

Some DSL modem kits come with a duplex connector with the filter built in. It is marked with one connection going to phone and the other connection going to modem. If you do not also have a phone in the room with the computer, you wouldn't even need to use your existing duplex plug with one of these devices.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.