Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

DSL Extreme

by Tosca / June 23, 2007 7:39 AM PDT

Hello,

To all DSL Extreme users: how do you like the service? Pros? Cons?

Tosca

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DSL Extreme
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DSL Extreme
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Buyer Beware
by OCJedi / November 11, 2009 7:57 AM PST
In reply to: DSL Extreme

If you want to save money then this is the Company but you pay in the long run, they have a high level of service outages, thier advertised speed is anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 of the actual real speed, they blamed my wiring I had my home rewired then they blamed my phone company. Thier customer support is very nice and polite but they wont help you for anything.

Basicall you get what you pay for, at the end of my contract(s) yes I have several I intend to switch, dont know with who yet but definately will not renew, its been a very agravating year.

Collapse -
I shall BEWARE!
by jimeerich / August 9, 2012 11:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Buyer Beware

I am now having the same BAD experience with DSLX and am locked into a 1 year contract with a $250 early cancellation fee (FINE). Like you, I will not be returning to them after I get free - THEY STINK!

Collapse -
the worst tech support and customer service
by cthpham / April 9, 2011 2:04 PM PDT

(At relative's house with internet). I've used DSLExtreme many times and have never had so many problems until now. Before, I would always compliment this company for it's helpful and quick service, but now I'm one of those guests that have absolutely sided with the negative end. Ok, moved on March 18th, put an order request in to notify address change 2 weeks ahead already. Online appointment to have internet up at new home on March 20th. Internet not up. Called an apparently At&t had to come fix the phone line. Ok, got that settled in one day and we still use the same phone number. March 21st, phone lines working perfectly, No Internet. Called, DSLExtreme said it takes 7 to 10 days after At&T gets a working phone line to get internet back up. March 31, no internet. Called DSLExtreme up, they said they can't connect and need to put in a new line. That makes no sense, it's still the same phone number and service was available to the new area according to the service tracker online. It was quote on quote GUARANTEED that everything would be resolved and I'd have internet back up running again exactly on April 4. No Internet. April 5, called and tech support doesn't know what's going on and that Tier 2 will call me back in 24 hours. April 6th no call back so I called and complained to supervisor. Supervisor April said she'll find up what's going on and at least give me a follow up in 24 hours. April 8, no call back. I Called and complained to Manager Kathryn, who said she'll personally handle it and call me back. April 9, no call back. I Called at 2pm of which tech support said Tier 2 has too many calls and will call me back that day. 8pm no call back, I called tech support and they said Tier 2 will call me back in an hour. Oh yeah, did I not mention each time I call I literally had to wait more than 5 to 10 minutes on hold. WTF, I have not had internet for over 3 weeks and DSLExtreme doesn't even have the courtesy to call or email me and make a follow-up on why they can't resolve the "no sync" problem. On top of that, they refuse to wave my april bill and will charge me a late fee if I don't pay. So there you have it, I'm paying for service of which I'm NOT provided. I can't use a new internet service provider, because if I terminate my service with DSLExtreme they'll charge me a $250 early termination fee.

Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2011 1:33 AM PDT

I too moved from place to place and the new place did not have a good line in spite of checking ahead of the move.

ATT waived all early termination fees for all the trouble. Maybe because I was never irate or threatening.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. Sorry, a little more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2011 1:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Just sharing.

The line was so bad. That no phone could be installed that day. Since it was going to be weeks, I canceled (without early term fees) and went with cable. Even that was a little problem but at least the phone and internet works. No cable TV from a cable TV company? What a bizarre state of affairs.

Collapse -
Speed is BAD!
by jimeerich / August 9, 2012 11:07 AM PDT

At first the line speed was terrific but slowly (or quickly) DROPPED. I suspected the browsers and my own (stressed) computer but it turns out that DSL Extreme is the most likely problem (I'm not a tech so cannot check it all out). My phone co. says my lines are GOOD but DSLX tells me my AT&T lines are the problem! Not sure what to do but I am locked into a $250 cancellation fee if I quite in less than a year! I'd stay away from any company that insists on a STIFF cancellation fee - it just shows they don't believe in their own services.
I'd like to leave both DSLX and AT&T if I could!
jim

Collapse -
DSL Extreme has very bad customer service
by pamarama22 / November 10, 2012 12:18 PM PST
Angry Their contract states "if there is any issue with the service, the customer must allow us to troubleshoot until the issue is resolved. It also states that any cancellations of service must be submitted in writing with a 30-days notice. What this basically means is you pay them for service that you do not receive. This company has zero integrity. Stay far far away!!!
Collapse -
DSLEXTREME BILLING PRACTICES ARE CRIMINAL
by SuaSponte2000 / March 18, 2015 12:54 AM PDT

I've been a DSLExtreme Customer since 08/09/12 in both Florida and Michigan. I upgraded to DSLExtremes' trueStream on 03/02/15. Installation was done by AT&T. No technical problems.

DSLExtreme Billing notified me that I was going to be charged $99.90 if I did not return the old modem as it was their leased equipment. Their old modem is a D-link ASDL single port promotional give away as an incentive to sign up for DSLExtreme services. I have the DSLExtreme email receipt documenting that fact. [$30.00 MODEM REBATE].

From 08/09/12 to 03/01/15 no mention, no documentation nor invoice for leased equipment!

The DSLExtreme D-link modem died sometime in 2013. I used an old AT&T Motorola modem as a replacement from Wal-Mart for $49.88. [Yes, I over paid. I was in a hurry]

DSLExtreme Billing charged me twice for March 2015. Once for their DSL High Speed Internet and once for trueStream.

DSLExtreme Billing says my old DSL High Speed Internet is still active. I had canceled my AT&T landline 2 hours after the trueStream installation. The only reason for the upgrade to trueStream was to ditch my AT&T land line. DSLExtreme handled the Upgrade from beginning to end. AT&T was the installation subcontractor only!

In summary, DSLExtreme Billing fabricates fictitious billing notifications for nonexistent leased equipment. Double charges and refused to fix their billing errors. DSLExtreme Billing is either inept or criminal. Either is unacceptable!

I attempted to cancel automatic payment method charged to my VISA. Not allowed by DSLExtremes' Terms of Service. I have to cancel my VISA and have it reissued by my bank.

"Erwin aka bm@dslextreme.com "appears to be a developing sociopath and Candace aka billing@dslextreme.com is just plain incompetent or following company policy. Neither of them is capable of calculating a pro rated billing period.

I have no problems with DSLExtreme service or support. It's a shame the Billing department screws up customer goodwill. I've had issues in the past when moving and upgrading. Support was great but Billing always screwed it up. Nickel and Dime crap but wrong, none the less. People who work in billing should be able to use a calculator, scratch pad or use their brains. Billing is not rocket science or quantum physics.

If DSLEXTREMES' management reads this post, I want an apology and Erwin thoroughly chastised! [My first choice is to have Erwin drawn and quartered.] He really made me very angry! I'm the paying Customer and you're screwing with me? We all know what "bm" means, right?

DSLEXTREME IS NOT AUTHORIZED TO CHARGE MY VISA WITHOUT MY EXPRESS CONSENT

NEVER GIVE DSLEXTREME YOUR CREDIT CARD INFORMATION FOR AUTOMATIC PAYMENTS!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.