Windows 7 forum

Question

DROP DOWN PROBLEM....

by hucomp / September 9, 2013 9:50 AM PDT

Whenever I try to access a drop-down menu containing numbers or dates, I am getting garbage obscuring the data. This occurs on anything that runs on the computer, programs or the browser, but only when numeric data is to be displayed. I have a screen print but I cannot paste it here.
Do you have any idea as to what is happening and how to fix it?
Thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DROP DOWN PROBLEM....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DROP DOWN PROBLEM....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I'm afraid my dog broke my crystal ball
by wpgwpg / September 9, 2013 10:08 AM PDT
In reply to: DROP DOWN PROBLEM....

Since you didn't mention what version of Windows or what application(s), and given that I don't have a crystal ball, I'm afraid it'll be between difficult & impossible to guess. I will say it sounds like an unusual problem.

Collapse -
Oversight...
by hucomp / September 9, 2013 2:32 PM PDT

Sorry, I thought I was in the Windows 7 forum so I didn't mention that that is what I am running. Ultimate. And this occurs in any application that uses numeric drop-down menus.

Collapse -
First try Bob's suggestions, then if that doesn't help...
by wpgwpg / September 9, 2013 10:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Oversight...

...you could try booting to Safe Mode and checking for viruses. Additionally you might want to download Malwarebytes and check with that as well.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
Safe Mode...
by hucomp / September 10, 2013 3:39 AM PDT

Thoroughly checked for viruses and malware but there is nothing there.

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Has anyone tinkered or change system fonts?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2013 10:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
Changes...
by hucomp / September 9, 2013 2:33 PM PDT

To my knowledge, no, but who knows. Could be. Where would I check something like that if it affects all applications on the system?

Collapse -
(NT) You could read the supplied link and set the fonts to stock?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2013 2:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Changes...
Collapse -
Font change...
by hucomp / September 10, 2013 3:40 AM PDT

Followed the instructions on the link but no change!

Collapse -
Then it's back to the authors I fear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2013 3:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Font change...

I don't see much detail here. Such as Safe Mode, the name of the app, if you rebooted (fully) after the change.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Drop Down Issue
by livepcexpert7 / September 13, 2013 3:17 AM PDT

I had once faced the issue in Microsoft Excel, all numbers had a Flag Symbol. After a few days I started getting junk characters on those drop downs. I was able to resolve the issue after removing Skype as it was the application that started creating the Flags for numbers which had more than 1 specified number of digits.

Try to perform a clean boot of the system so that unwanted applications and services do not start every time. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135)
If the issue is not resolved then for the next step
I will suggest you to try to create a new user account and check in that account. (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-7)
If the issue is not resolved then for the next step
Uninstall the programs that you do not use. (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uninstall-change-program#uninstall-change-program=windows-7)

Cheers!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.