Computer Help forum

General discussion

drivers out of date

by mickzdaman / December 25, 2008 3:31 AM PST

hi. my pc keeps telling me my drivers are out of date,every time i install a new game or program. I know you can purchase driver scanners and updaters, but being unemployed at the moment, i cannot afford to buy one. I was wondering if any of your readers knew where i could maybe download a free updating program(it would be most appreciated)as some things do not seem to run corretly as a result of the ageing drivers.

I really am on the breadline and cannot see any improvement in my fiscal affairs in the immediate future, thanks, and your help would be invaluable.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: drivers out of date
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: drivers out of date
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
They are junk..
by prose036 / December 25, 2008 5:47 AM PST
In reply to: drivers out of date

Use device manager to search for driver updates Not that driver scanner...

In your device manager there is an option to Update drivers >>>ie search everywhere...

Device Manager.....
Open root tree to devices..
Right Click ...then properties...
Driver tab...then update driver...
..Search Automatically for updated driver software...

Also check your PC Manufact. website under your product model / software driver downloads as well as your Plug and Play Manufact. Websites for driver updates....

Collapse -
drivers
by mickzdaman / December 25, 2008 7:45 AM PST
In reply to: They are junk..

the pc is one ive built myself and installed the drivers from the cd, but i have used driver detective and a large portion of them are outdated. i need a free driver scanner and updater like driver detective?

Collapse -
Read above...
by prose036 / December 25, 2008 7:56 AM PST
In reply to: drivers

You can update your drivers one by one through devixce manager...

driver detective is junk

Collapse -
Using Device Manager To Check For Updates Usually ...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 25, 2008 12:02 PM PST
In reply to: Read above...

...causes more problems than cures.. Basically, when you hit the "Update Driver" button from the Device Manager, it only checks on your computer for updates OR if you allow it to, you can allow it to search the Windows Updates site for updates that Microsoft recommend.. If the device is already on the computer, there's really no need to search for it as Windows will generally install the most suitable driver available. In regards to the Windows Updates driver listing, unfortunately, we've seen WAY TOO MANY computer problems when using the updates listed at the Microsoft site.. Microsoft doesn't build hardware drivers.. The hardware manufacturer's do or possibly the computer manufacturer does, but not Microsoft.. So, my recommendation is to NOT use any drivers recommended at Windows Update unless there is no other choice.. Instead, visit the manufacturer's website to find and download current driver updates, one by one for each hardware device that isn't working..

Updating drivers simply to update isn't always the best way to proceed.. If a specific device isn't functioning correctly and needs to get a new driver, find a new driver for that device only..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
one by one, too much like hard work
by mickzdaman / December 25, 2008 9:55 PM PST

i understand about windows update, which is why i dont use it, but far too many of my drivers are outdated and i dont have the details to look them up on the web anymore, so it would be too much hard work to do it individualy. i really need a program that will do this for me.

thanks for your input though grif.

mick

Collapse -
Too much like hard work locating correct drivers ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 26, 2008 3:06 AM PST

tells a lot about a user.

Just because a driver is old does NOT mean that a newer driver will do anything favorable for you or your computer as the update may well be for something that you and your computer do not even use.

Having said that, if you download and run BELARC ADVISOR - http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - will tell you what you have on the system that requires drivers as well as the driver version.

You could also purchase Driver Genius which will locate and update drivers for you - http://www.avanquest.com/USA/pc-utilities/utilities/drivers/Driver_Genius_Professional.html

Collapse -
needed
by mickzdaman / December 26, 2008 6:38 AM PST

i need several drivers updated to get better performance from my pc and a great many games,despite what you Think it tells you.

cant anyone answer my question that i first posted. I need to get hold of a free (because i am unemployed, and on the breadline at the moment) driver analising and updating program. PLEASE?

Collapse -
Sorry, Never Used Such A Thing...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 26, 2008 10:41 AM PST
In reply to: needed

Primarily, as others have mentioned, I also prefer to update each driver one at a time.. Even on brand new installs, I research each driver individually to make sure it's the one that's necessary. And normally, there are only five or six critical drivers for a new install.. It's not that time consuming.

Primarily, I trust my own judgement more than any third party tool.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
maybe
by mickzdaman / December 27, 2008 3:21 AM PST

i will do a little research and see what i come up with. thanks, at least you werent condescending with your replies.

Collapse -
I did ANSWER your question ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 27, 2008 12:44 AM PST

although you seem to have quit reading in the middle of the answer.

Did you make use of Belarc Advisor?

Did you even TRY looking at Driver Genius (it offers a trial period)?

You are free to try any of the following located on the Internet via a Google Search and you can see for yourself whether they work for you or not as I haven't personally tried any other than Driver Genius
Here is one that indicates a free download (doesn't mean it is free but does indicate you can try it out) -
http://www.easydriverupdates.com/driver_2c.html
and another -
http://www.driversupdate.org/?gclid=CJjHiJid4ZcCFQv7agodb2D_Dw
and another -
http://update-your-drivers.com/indexo.html?gclid=CNmr1Lqd4ZcCFRwwawodjE_RDQ

And a few more links in this google search -
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22driver+update%22+with+%22program%22

If you are currently unemployed it would appear that you could have already manually updated drivers at your convenience in the time you have spent complaining about "too much like work".

Collapse -
If you expect the new drivers ...
by Kees Bakker / December 27, 2008 12:49 AM PST

to have a noticeable effect on your gaming speed, my prediction is that you will be disappointed.

Kees

Collapse -
To mickzdaman, post deleted.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 27, 2008 9:56 PM PST

You already found that the forum filters removes certain unwanted words.

Name calling in these forums deserves instant deletes. That's why I deleted your post.

I'm locking this discussion because it is clear you have no interest in considering any of the advice given, or the software suggested.

Your choice. Good luck in your search.

Mark

Collapse -
rubbish
by mickzdaman / December 25, 2008 9:57 PM PST
In reply to: They are junk..

device manager does not update hardware, on a custom build

Collapse -
bad rubbish.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2008 2:18 AM PST
In reply to: rubbish

I agree but it's worse than rubbish. I'm calling the update driver button in device manager bad rubbish. Almost to the point of being classified as toxic.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.