AVG forum

Question

Drivers missing after using AVG 2013

by quart5 / December 26, 2012 3:41 AM PST

I downloaded AVG 2013 and ran my first scan on Dec 14.
My computer will not boot properly. The keyboard and mouse are inoperative. I can not access Safe Mode because I can not select the User on the Log-in screen. I downloaded the AVG Rescue CD on another computer, installedit, and ran the virus scan. At the completion of the scan, the virus vault contained 14 items of which 5 were listed as drivers when I checked the 'Detail' for each item.
They are: ELhid.sys, ELkbd.sys, ELmon.sys, ELmou.sys and EL_ALL.msi.
These are Intel Quick Resume drivers. I have tried to "Restore" from the virus vault, but I still can not boot. Is there any way I can reinstall drivers or install new drivers without a mouse, keyboard, or internet connection? My OS is Windows XP Media Edition. The computer is an HP Pavilion m7367c.

Thanks for your help

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Drivers missing after using AVG 2013
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Drivers missing after using AVG 2013
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Have you tried the Admin acct in Safe Mode?
by wpgwpg / December 26, 2012 4:13 AM PST

With XP you should be able to sign in with the Admin account unless you've deleted it. Assuming you have a USB keyboard and mouse, that should work. If you don't you can buy a USB mouse for as little as $4 and keyboard for well under $10.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Will try another keyboard and mouse
by quart5 / December 26, 2012 5:53 AM PST

My keyboard and mouse are remote units. The keyboard only works with the AVG Rescue CD. The keyboard and mouse do not work after Windows is launched. I am listed as the administrator, but I have another user and I am not able to select my admin account on the log on screen. I will try a direct USB Mouse and Keyboard.

Thanks for your advice.

Collapse -
RE: Drivers missing after using AVG 2013
by JiriF_AVG AVG Staff / January 1, 2013 9:35 PM PST

Hi quart5,

I'm sorry for not answering before. This forum was not moderated by AVG staff during the past holiday period.

In case you are still facing the problem, you could try restoring all the removed files using AVG Rescue CD and reboot the system. Please let us know what the current situation is (Are you able to use the system while wired mouse and keyboard is connected? Is there any error message displayed during boot? Possibly provide us with a list of all removed files, etc.)

Also, please send us all files which appears to be detected falsely, or you suspect them to be in fact clean. More information on how to provide us with such files can be found here.
If the files prove to be indeed infected, please restore them from backup or using the original installation media (some infections are not "healable", files need to be replaced).

Thank you.

Collapse -
Answer
Solved
by spetreolle / March 30, 2013 9:57 PM PDT

I faced this very problem.
I had to temporarily disable AVG protection using a PS2 keyboard and added an exception to ignore Elhid.sys.
After that the system went back to normal.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.