HP forum

by Psycrovv / May 24, 2013 7:36 AM PDT

I just cleaned a hp g6 2312 for win 8 because it was driving there..so now i need drivers for windows 7 64 bit to this hp.

Most of the drivers on the hp site was working, but i am stuck now. i Need drivers for the USB ports.

Its in the hardware list with a yellow ?
and i cant find any usb drivers..

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: drivers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: drivers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Rare to see drivers for USB ports.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2013 1:35 AM PDT
In reply to: drivers

That is usually in what they call the "chipset" driver package.

Collapse -
by Psycrovv / May 25, 2013 6:54 AM PDT

Yes i know but i tryed several times to install the chipset but still they wont cooperate and get installed

Collapse -
Since you can't install the chipset driver.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2013 7:01 AM PDT
In reply to: chipset
Collapse -
You shot yourself in the foot
by wpgwpg / May 25, 2013 7:09 AM PDT
In reply to: drivers

You went out of your way to create a problem for yourself. Put Windows 8 back on and install Classic Start like Bob says. You'll have the Start button back and your USB ports will work again.

Collapse -
win 7
by Psycrovv / May 25, 2013 11:37 PM PDT

Dont get me started about win 8,
so i would like to keep this post focus on the missing usb drivers Happy

Collapse -
Here's a chat with HP about XP on their laptop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2013 1:12 AM PDT
In reply to: win 7

Read and notice something in this link?

Notice the drivers were not on the HP WEB site. They were on a FTP site and only a HP rep will know this.
Also, the install order mattered. As I don't have this model I can't direct you to where it is.

I do have a lot of experience with installing Windows on thousands of PCs but not this model. However the USB driver is rarely by itself. It was an odd install back in Windows 95/98 days but outside of that odd system it's always enabled by the motherboard chipset driver. If HP didn't put that on their site then I'd be looking at AMD.com

-> I forgot something above. One poor soul was trying to install drivers in a non-admin account. That failed and the poor soul was adamant that Microsoft was not correct in locking out driver installs in the non-admin accounts. I can't speak for that company but be sure you are in an admin account.

I also forgot that USB 3.0 drivers may require Windows 7 to be at SP1 since OS support for USB 3.0 was not in Windows 7 from memory.

Collapse -
by Psycrovv / May 26, 2013 7:50 AM PDT

Yes you are right..i also tryed to install the sp1 win 7 and still they were still yellow ? on the hardware list.

I contacted amd and asked em the same about the missing usb drivers that SHOULD be in a chipset driver and SHOULD work in sp1 win 7.

I understand its hard to get drivers for win xp, but win 7 is still new, so i should perhaps contact an hp worker like he did and ask for a usb driver ?

The problem is so : My mother bought the pc in a store with me, and i told her i woould install win 7 for her because she is use to that system from her old pc, and she is NOT a computer person..trust me..and i dont want to spend 1 more minute with win 8..i rather spend my whole life on getting this pc to work with win 7 rather than win 8.

Collapse -
My advice is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2013 8:09 AM PDT
In reply to: usb

To stop asking for USB drivers. As these are now in the chipset package you could confuse most support folk by asking for that.

Good luck in your search and more.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.