Samsung forum

Driver update for Samsung LCD TV

by cullism / November 18, 2012 6:13 AM PST

I have a Samsung LCD TV Model No. LA40A550P1F. I have just tried to update the driver via the Samsung Driver Update site but my model number does not appear in the dropdown box. Back in August I upgraded the driver from this site, but I suspect that I may have selected the driver for model no. LN40A550P1F.

I bought the TV in late 2008, so perhaps there are no driver updates for this model anymore?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Driver update for Samsung LCD TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Driver update for Samsung LCD TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
A driver is usually for some Windows PC.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2012 6:19 AM PST

Most displays do not require drivers and ones that do, rarely need updates. Are you sure you are looking for a driver?

Collapse -
by cullism / November 18, 2012 10:48 AM PST

I think so. As I indicated earlier, I downloaded an update last August. Before the update I had to have the volume turned up almost to the maximum to make it reasonably audible. Since the update I don't have that problem and some of the displays were slightly different. I have a problem now in that the sound drops out for a few seconds every so often. I don't recall this happening before I did the update, however it may be something to do with my aerial.

Collapse -
Now we need to hear more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2012 11:22 AM PST
In reply to: Update

Drivers as I wrote are for our PCs. Now you write about an aerial and we know the consumers are more than a little unsettled about over the air issues. When most folk went to cable they forgot all the antenna and more issues. I would have to guess you are wanting to go over the antenna stories again?

Collapse -
by cullism / November 18, 2012 1:40 PM PST

If you could direct me to the appropriate forum/topic I would be grateful, but I'm guessing it's not a problem directly related to my Samsung TV?

Collapse -
You can do that discussion here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2012 1:56 AM PST
In reply to: Aerials

But first we have to define what the issue is and it appears it's not a driver issue at all but the usual Antenna Over The Air (OTA) complaints.

The usual fix I use is to get a better outdoor antenna and remove channels that drop out.

Collapse -
by cullism / November 19, 2012 4:44 AM PST

Thanks Bob. my antenna is over forty year sold and in the roof space. I was mistaken in my original assertion that I had downloaded a driver update for my TV. What I downloaded was a firmware update (from the Samsung site). I also printed out the "how to" guide which is described as <i>Samsung TV F/W Upgrade Guide - Model: 550 Series - LA32A550P1F, LA37A550P1F,

LA46A550P1F.</i>This upgrade doesn't seem to be available any more.

Collapse -
Ahh. Those older antennas are not so good for today's chans
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2012 5:31 AM PST
In reply to: Update
Collapse -
by cullism / November 19, 2012 11:48 AM PST

I discovered that the problem was due to a damaged antenna socket in the wall. I replaced it and the problem is no more. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Thanks for the update.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2012 12:19 AM PST
In reply to: Fixed

It took a few back and forths to get down to the OTA Antenna issues and good to read you can keep your old gear.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.