Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

by Nero Gray / January 7, 2006 3:26 PM PST

Just a few days ago I put a new computer together and have been since bombarded with DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL errors. I can't even boot from XP cd to do a fresh install or repair. BIOS itself is unstable and crashes even before I can make any changes and save and exit. I will post some info and hope to get some help, Ive tried everything I could think of.

I have tried all of these combinations to make sure that specific pieces of hardware are not causing it.

MB: ASUS A8N-VM CSM latest bios 0506
CPU: Athlon 64 3800+ rev e
RAM: Tried all of these - Corsair XMS CMX512-3200P (single and dual stick), Elixir 512 PC 3200U, Corsair ValueSelect VS512MB400
CD: tried all of these separately (latest firmware):
Plextor Plexwriter Premium, Sony DRU510a, Pioneer 105 (??) old one, slot insert
HDD: Maxtor 160GB 6Y160P0
Power: Antec True 480w or Mad Dog SurePower 500w
GFX: GeForce FX 6800GT 256
GeForce FX 7800GT 256
Audio: M-Audio Delta 66

I am now running barebones, with just the plexwriter and hdd going with one 512 stick of Corsair TwinX ram. Onboard graphics chipset 6150. Onboard audio disabled. I have no minidumps to post.

errors I was able to catch from BSOD and write down.

STOP: 0X000000D1 (0X00515CBF, 0X000000FF, 0X00000001, 0XF700FE4B)

STOP: 0X0000008E

STOP: 0X000000C2 (0X00000007, 0X00000CD4, 0X00000001, 0XE1006998)

Sometimes I get the atapi.sys message for crashing it.

I'm sure there were other errors come up on BSOD as well but I have not yet written them down. I will add more errors as I catch them. The funny thing is, I have XP pro installed right now from the old system and if I choose to not boot from cd and try to re-install windows, I can sometimes get in and it seems stable but I haven't tried running anything really intensive. I will be most grateful for any help. =)

P.S. Basically, I am ready to return the MB, CPU and RAM to the vendor as faulty and get it replaced, but I would like to know if it is indeed faulty or if there is something I can fix without wasting the shipping time.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL errors
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL errors
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
new error
by Nero Gray / January 7, 2006 6:49 PM PST

New error: got this one when I managed to boot into XP. Tried to un-rar a file and got this:
0X00000050 (0XB78D0F12, 0X00000000, 0X8057FA40, 0X00000000)

Collapse -
driver irql error
by glennlee / January 8, 2006 3:37 AM PST
In reply to: new error

Well known resource conflict with numerous sources. Checkout this discussion, especially the one I have attached:

Comment from Rwatson
Date: 01/23/2003 04:41PM PST

My experience with the IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL BSOD has been wide and varied. Windows knowledge base suggests that this is because of two modules trying to access the same IRQ. This error will appear more when using resources that share the same IRQ, i.e. a sound card and video sharing same IRQ will crash system during games and other programs that use these devices more frequently and intensively; where as, running Word or Excel will not show an error. From what I gather, this problem DOES have to do with IRQ?s ?rather IRQ levels. Possible situations that cause this conflict would be:
1. Installation of Roxio products (EZ-CD creator, Video Pack 5.0, etc.) Possible BIOS (aka device drivers) conflicts include: acpi.sys (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) and ntfs.sys (NT File Structure).
2. Setting CMOS settings incorrectly. Look for PnP OS options, and try to free up IRQ?s for windows to use. Disable COM ports if you do not need them. Try setting OS to PnP. Also, try switching physical locations of interface cards. (The AGP slots in most motherboards share an IRQ with the slot next to it.)
3. Use of programs that tax system resources. In my case, Pulldown.exe (deals with video encoding), Uudecode.exe (used to combine binary newsgroup posts.), and other DVD tools during the creation of VOB?s.
4. Bad RAM. Although this is a very rare occurrence, in my experience, it is very possible that bad RAM can cause this error. I have never received a DIMM that was faulty (In 15 years), but I don?t buy cheap DIMM?s either. A colleague of mine says that he corrected this problem after replacing a suspected bad DIMM.
5. Installation of a new device that has not been properly configured or doesn?t have the correct driver installed. Try freeing up some IRQ?s for the OS to use in the CMOS. Disable COM?s and try to reproduce the error.
6. Corrupted page file due to improper shut down or BSOD. In XP, Right-click on ?My computer?, select ?Properties?. Then click the ?Advanced? tab, click ?Settings? in the ?Performance? area and another window will appear. Click the ?Advanced? tab. In the ?Virtual Memory? section click ?Change? button. If you have a custom setting write these numbers down, then tick the ?No Page File? button. Click ok-ok-ok. Then reboot the system. Repeat the process except correct the window to reflect your original settings reboot again. Sometimes this will temporarily correct the error.
Please continue to test and change system setting (as much as you feel comfortable with) until we can reach a final solution to this problem. Don?t tip-toe around suspect programs because they crash, continue to use them and find solutions so we can put an end to this problem.

Collapse -
also tried different hdd
by Nero Gray / January 8, 2006 6:18 AM PST
In reply to: driver irql error

Thanks for the help, I forgot to mention that I also tried a second HDD - Seagate 40GB ST340810A, but that didn't help either. As far as memory testing, I can try to test it but I don't think I'll be able to before WIndows crashes. I am doubtful however that it's the memory since I tried 3 different types of it and none of them worked. It all points to a faulty mobo at this point. I'll continue testing although I'm down to mobo, cpu and a single dimm, not much else to experiment on.

Collapse -
IRQ Sharing
by bababear / January 19, 2006 5:34 AM PST
In reply to: driver irql error

I have the same problem when playing games. Here is a list of my IRQ sharing -

IRO-16 AGP video card
IRQ-16 Fax Modem (Dont use any more have DSL Modem for back up only)
IRQ-16 Adaptec Video Capture Card

IRQ-18 3Com lan
IRQ-18 Creative AudgyLS Sound Card

I am thinking that my problem is coming from the IRQ-18 due to sound and lan are being used at the same time when playing games. How do I go about changing these so they are not shared anymore??

Collapse -
Safe mode?
by Scott Simontis / January 8, 2006 7:14 AM PST

Are you able to boot into safe mode? That might let you try and see if you can fix the problem. Go to the device manager, and check for resource conflicts. If there is an error occuring, there will be an exclamation point in a yellow circle next to the icon for the malfunctioning device.

Collapse -
Safe Mode
by Nero Gray / January 8, 2006 9:10 AM PST
In reply to: Safe mode?

Yes, I've managed to boot in safe mode but I can't find any conflicts in safe mode or not. I'll try to clear the RTC RAM on the mobo and after that I think I'm done.

Collapse -
Putiing together a new computer
by hpjohn11 / January 8, 2006 8:22 AM PST

I build computers also. I think your trouble in in your motherboard. Try a new motherboard. This probably will solve the problem.

Collapse -
new mobo
by Nero Gray / January 8, 2006 9:15 AM PST

Thanks for the help, I'm pretty sure it's the mobo at this point. I think I'll ship it back tomorrow and switch for a different one - thinking of trying the Gigabyte K8N Pro, any good experiences with that one? In years I've never had any problems with any ASUS boards but I think it's time to try something new. =) Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
by topkat690 / January 19, 2006 3:45 AM PST

I'm having a similar problem except mine does reboot I can use my puter but eventually it crashes.

I have an hp pavilion 7955 pentium 4
os is windows xp keep getting this:
stop: oxooooood1 (oxoooooooo,oxooooooo2,oxoooooooo,oxoooooooo)
beginning dump of physiucal memory
physical memory dump complete
I removed the p2ps my neice had put onhere and i removed other programs that were downloaded but some of these I have had for a year or more but the shutting down started about four months ago now it is more and more where it used to be once a week, does anyone have any idea how to fix this? also I have been having trouble with my cd/rw it has been saying all my blank discs are bad so could this be the problem.
looked at event viewer and it read system error but nothing else.

Collapse -
Read through my comments in this . . .
by Cursorcowboy / January 19, 2006 10:22 PM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.