Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Driver Blocked Due to Compatibility Issues

by jmp137 / February 8, 2007 1:09 AM PST

My new Vista program is possessed with a demon file that I cannot get rid of regardless of numerous attempts.

On start-up a window entitled ?Program Compatibility Assistant? appears with the following message:
This driver is blocked due to compatibility issues.

The driver identified is: ?Driver: Sonic Solutions DLA?

What is worse is that this window keeps popping up frequently as I attempt to work. (?Yes, I know you?re there; just leave me alone? is my response.)

I have tried to remove this offending driver through the Vista remove programs process without success. It apparently was installed by DELL on my computer at the factory along with other files associated with Sonic Solutions? Roxio Creator ? My DVD Combo.

I do not use the program.

Every time Vista loads, this annoying pop-up window appears with the message that the driver is blocked due to incompatibility issues. No help is available on line when one selects the ?Check for solutions online? option. The answer given is that ?Windows will notify you when solutions become available.? The first thought is that this solution will appear along about the time donkeys fly.

Is there a way to remove this file?

Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Driver Blocked Due to Compatibility Issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Driver Blocked Due to Compatibility Issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Driver Blocked Due to Compatibility Issues
by delthibodeaux / February 8, 2007 11:52 PM PST

I purchased Windows Vista Ultimate edition and am having the exact same problem on my Dell Desktop XPSGEN5. I can not remove the Roxio DLA no matter through the control panel add/remove program. I am not sure if I removed this before starting the upgrade to 32bit Vista.

However after I click cancel on both warnings about 5 or 10 times, it goes away. But it shows up again later.

I also have a problem with Media Center when I access Music and Music library, I get an error 80040155 about audio. I can play music with Media Player, iTunes, etc no problem. It also plays and records TV great. I use a Creative soundblaster Audigy 2 card and creative only has a beta driver at this time-Feb 9, 2007.

Collapse -
Cleaning registry
by delthibodeaux / February 24, 2007 12:07 AM PST

In trying to solve this problem by manually cleaning the registry. I used regedit to search for every entry of SONIC, ROXIO, and DLA. I used ctrl/F for searching and deleted all entries having to do with these that looked logical to me. Afterwards, the only improvement is that I only have to see the error 2 or 3 times at startup where I hit the x on the error windows.

Regarding the other error 80040155 in Windows Media Center music library problem mentioned, Microsoft gave me the solution as follows:

1. Click Start->All Programs->Accessories.

2. Right click Command Prompt and select "Run as administrator".

3. Click Continue when the User Account Control window appears.

4. Type the following command and press Enter:

regsvr32 wmp.dll

Then please restart the computer to test the issue.

Collapse -
Solved! Remove kb929427 update
by delthibodeaux / February 24, 2007 12:30 AM PST
In reply to: Cleaning registry

Thanks to whoever posted the solution to the compatibility assistant problem continually reporting on Sonic Solutions DLA driver.

As stated, I simply used control panel to uninstall update KB929427! Then clicked on shutdown. Then rebooted my computer and voila! No compatibility assistant errors!! Thank you thank you thank you.

Now I don't know what this KB929427 update was suppose to accomplish, so I hope I didn't remove a capability I needed.

Collapse -
Microsoft information on KB929427
by glenn30 / February 24, 2007 11:09 PM PST
Collapse -
KB929427 reinstalled automatically
by delthibodeaux / March 2, 2007 9:05 PM PST

The Roxio Sonic Solutions DLA problem went away for a little while. However, the success of removing this patch KB929427 lasted only until the next Microsoft automatic update which reinstalled it.

After editing the registry and removing all references with Roxio, Sonic, and DLA, now I only have to look at the blocked message and hit cancel 4 times.

Collapse -
Really Solved Sonic Solutions DLA driver blocked
by delthibodeaux / March 2, 2007 9:51 PM PST

Well I didn't read all of the blog and found the solution just below me, the final solution to this problem for my Dell old XPS computer upgraded to Vista Ultimate. Roxio's solution for Dell computers worked for me and it involved installing Roxio Drag-to-Disc which is what DLA (Drive Letter Access) is all about. It the blocked messages stopped and I rebooted a couple of times to make sure. Sorry about all of my messages on this problem that may have hid the real solution at this link:

Collapse -
Really Solved Sonic Solutions DLA driver blocked
by speedy_stevie / March 10, 2007 10:37 PM PST

I'm on a new Dell Dimension E520, had the same issue, followed the patch from Roxio and can confirm it sovled the problem.

Collapse -
Thanks for the posting
by kwhenry / March 12, 2007 9:38 AM PDT

Had the same problem when I installed Vista...your help with the solution was a great help!

Collapse -
That darn DLA Pop up
by Jeanie+1 / March 15, 2007 4:27 AM PDT

I just used your link. Thanks so much It WORKED GREAT.

Collapse -
it works
by Akiba / March 15, 2007 10:17 AM PDT

This is any easy fix and it works. Thanks for posting it.

Collapse -
Sonic Solutions DLA
by Big_Bird63 / March 16, 2007 9:15 AM PDT

Del, I am using a Dell Dimension E521 and it came from the factory with the Sonic problem. I tried the link and it worked fine. Thanks

Collapse -
DLA driver blocked
by piperdan / March 17, 2007 8:45 PM PDT

Thank you thank you thank you!!!! great site CNET!!

Collapse -
by ronquek / March 18, 2007 8:16 PM PDT

That link is really helpful!! thaanks guys

Collapse -
Verify that link to Sonic Solutions DLA driver really works
by Tomcatdogy / March 18, 2007 11:46 PM PDT

I am running a 4 day old Dell E521. I followed the link, did the install, and presto no more driver blocked message. "Thank You" to everyone involved in correcting this problem.

Collapse -
Like Magic
by franjaja / March 30, 2007 12:30 PM PDT

It worked like a charm. It does state that it is only for Dell only, but I don't have a Dell and figured i'd chance it.

Collapse -
No more annoying pop ups about the driver being blocked !!
by 2xtreme1 / April 14, 2007 11:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Like Magic

I have a Toshiba A105-S4384 Satellite and was getting the same message as the others on start up after the Vista Upgrade. I took a shot and used the Dell owners fix from Roxio and it worked with no side effects to date. I ran it almost a week ago and it has not re-appeared to date. With the wait involved in getting the Vista Upgrade, one would think that Microsoft would be a little more diligent in their fix for all us that wanted the upgrade. Those that bought a Vista machine SHOULD NOT be experiencing this type of problem out of the box! That is the thing that is missing from this forum, Microsofts advice. They seem to be sitting on their hands, so to speak. Any way, thanks to those of you that found the fix and put it out for those of us having the trouble and keep up the good work.

Collapse -
Sonic Solutions DLA driver blocked
by MsGerry / March 20, 2007 12:53 AM PDT

I also just bought a Dell E521 and have the driver incompatability problem as well. I am not having any luck with the link to resolve the problem. I tried typing the link into Google and it went to the Sonic site and not the link. Please any help is appreciated. Thank You all. Ms Gerry

Collapse -
Dell 9200
by seriousmoejoe / March 20, 2007 1:31 AM PDT

I am also having trouble with this problem, except I use a Dell Dimension 9200, does anyone know of any cure or will I just have to wait for a driver update?

Collapse -
Just Hooked Up New DELL & I'm Getting the Same Error
by getcompinfonow / March 20, 2007 2:59 PM PDT

Whats' up DELL, Windows Vista and Microsoft? I just got my new DELL E6400 and I'm already receiving an error message - Sonic Solutions DLA Driver Blocked Due to Compatibility Issues. NOT COOL. I thought I was starting with a clean slate. I was trying to get away from such re-occuring concerning messages.

WHAT IS THE SOLUTION? Please tell me and tell my fellow suffers below. It's not fair that I be experiencing such a message with a brand new PC.

Collapse -
Sonic Solutions DLA problem
by Big_Bird63 / March 21, 2007 12:00 AM PDT

Here is a link to the "resolution". It sure worked on my Dell E521. It is about a 15mb download. Follow the instructions.

Collapse -
dell windows vista xps 210
by debbie smith-card / March 21, 2007 2:22 AM PDT

compatability issues w/sonic soulitions, driver blocked, please help.

Collapse -
Sonic Solutions problem
by Big_Bird63 / March 21, 2007 3:32 AM PDT

Debbie, the link to the FIX has been listed several times in this thread.

Good luck

Collapse -
Driver blocked due to compatibility issues
by amylea1mr / April 16, 2007 1:03 AM PDT

I read Ken message that there was a link to fix the problem, but the link is not showing up. Does anyone have the link they could send to me? Thanks

Collapse -
Sonic Solutions DLA problem
by Big_Bird63 / April 16, 2007 1:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
Sonic Solutions DLA driver - CANNOT FIND LINK TO FIX!
by dillonhunt / April 25, 2007 12:59 AM PDT

I see a number of messages saying "see the link on post #.." but there's no link when I look. Can anyone help, please? Maybe a reply to me personally at would work? Thank you so much. Kathy

Collapse -
Sonic Solutions DLA Problem
by Big_Bird63 / April 25, 2007 1:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
by dillonhunt / April 25, 2007 3:09 AM PDT

Thank you - just downloaded and will try it! Kathy

Collapse -
My printer is not operating; driver needs upgrading
by kryohl / March 11, 2009 12:41 AM PDT

I have not been able to operate my printer for the past 6 months or so, since something was downloaded into to the system to upgrade my computer.
Everytime I try to print something, the message I get is "error printing." Please help me to figure out the problem

Thank you

Collapse -
This is an old thread ...
by Kees Bakker / March 11, 2009 12:43 AM PDT

about quite another subject. Please start a new thread for your question. It will get much more attention then.

In the forum of your choice (Computer Help might be good, but Vista is OK if your OS is Vista) click on the red button labeled 'create a new thread'.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.