Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Drive D (for CD's) not accessible

by ksteil / March 24, 2007 6:47 AM PDT

When I insert a blank CD-RW into Drive D, a message pops up stating: X Drive D is not accessible.
When I insert a CD-RW with info on it, the CD is accepted and will display the data.
There is no option to erase the data (an option that is available on my husband's PC)
It will not allow me to copy files from My Documents folder onto the CD.
Does anyone know what is wrong?

I have a Dell Dimension 4300S, running XP SP2.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Drive D (for CD's) not accessible
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Drive D (for CD's) not accessible
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Give us more info please ...
by TE7 / March 24, 2007 8:35 AM PDT

Were you you able to write to CD-RW on your computer recently, and suddenly it's not working now for some reason? Have you made any changes to system recently (e.g., registry cleaners, new multimedia software, etc.)? Do you have any Restore Points you can go back to using Sytem Restore (I'd try that first)? If you don't know how to use it, go to Help and search for System Restore. Be aware that once you restore, you may have to reinstall any software that was installed after the Resore Point date you choose to restore your system. Keep us updated on your status. Good luck. Tom

Collapse -
D drive not accessible
by ksteil / March 24, 2007 9:47 AM PDT

Tom, I've had trouble using CD's all along. I couldn't figure out what was wrong and for expedience sake, resorted to 3 1/2 diskettes.
Foolproof and easy to use, but they don't hold much.
What puzzles me here is that I am trying the same disk that works perfectly on my husband's machine, so I know it's good CD.
A blank CD gives me the 'D Drive not accessible' message and a used CD-RW brings up the following error message:
Error copying file or folder
Files on this CD are read-only. You can still copy new files to this writeable CD, which will replace files already on the disk.
okay, but when I try to copy to this disk, it doesn't work.
Does this info help at all?

Collapse -
Are you sure your CD drive is read/write (RW)?
by TE7 / March 24, 2007 10:00 AM PDT
In reply to: D drive not accessible

Are you sure your CD drive is read/write (RW), and not just read only? How old is your computer? If your drive is RW it should show "CD-RW drive D" in My Computer under Removeable Storage. Please confirm this and reply before you go any furhter in troubleshooting.

Collapse -
D Drive not accessible
by ksteil / March 24, 2007 10:40 AM PDT

I couldn't find the 'removable storage' you mention on My Computer, but clicked on the D drive icon. Under properties I found the following: HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8160B. My PC is a Dell Dimension 4300S from 2002.
I have one CD-RW like the one I was trying to use earlier. It contains photos from a trip that I saved last year (don't remember how I did it).
Also, I received a CD-R with photos from a friend and had no trouble copying them to the My Pictures folder on my PC.
I have a CD-RW onto which I saved text some time ago.
Then there is a CD-RW where I have stored photos (this one is marked DirectCD Formatted)
Where would I be able to learn to use these CDs as well as I do diskettes?

Collapse -
I think your best option is ...
by TE7 / March 24, 2007 11:12 AM PDT
In reply to: D Drive not accessible

I had a friend who one day couldn't see (or use) his 2 CD drives in XP. The only fix was to repair his Windows Installation, which is a process that easily can take several hours. I think this is your best shot to get your CD-RW drive to work properly. I'm guessing you don't have an XP SP2 installation disc, since your PC is 2002. If that's the case, then here's what you have to do:

1) Uninstall SP2.

2) Put your XP CD in your PC and boot from it.

3) Choose to repair your Windows Installation (all of your programs, settings, and My Documents will be preserved).

4) Then re-install SP2. Go to Windows Update or Microsoft Upadate. Step 5 should do this.

5) If you do Windows Updates, re-do it. Go to Windows Update (or Microsoft Update). You will not have to re-download the updates (they will be preserved in your Windows folder). But the Update process will re-install them to get you back to where you were before you started the repair process.

If you have an XP SP2 disc, then all you have to do is to repair your Windows installation (you won't have to uninstall SP2). But you will have to do the updates again.

If you have high speed web access, the process is not daunting. But if you have dial-up, and you don't have a copy of SP2, then downloading SP2 with Windows Update can take several hours.

Please let me know if this sounds like something you can do. If not, find a tech-savy friend who can do this. This process has a great chance of taking care of your problem. Let me know. Tom

Collapse -
D drive not accessible
by ksteil / March 24, 2007 11:23 AM PDT

Tom, thank you so much for your time and interest.
I will definitely look into this and see what I think I can do.
My daughter has several friends who are very tech savy - I may ask them for help.
Have a great Sunday,

Collapse -
I've created a new thread to help you ...
by TE7 / March 24, 2007 3:50 PM PDT

I started a new thread to help your tech-savy friend repair your Windows installation. In the XP forum, it's cllaed "READ: How to repair your XP installation". I recommed you to copy and paste it into notepad (make sure you enable Word Wrap). Save and print it out for your friend who will do the repair, if you choose to do so. Good luck. Tom

Collapse -
2 Thoughts Occur After Reading Your Posts.....
by tobeach / March 24, 2007 4:26 PM PDT

1) "from 2002": Given this age, it is quite possible that your CD-RW is on it's last legs or possibly some parts of it (hardware) are already dead. Less severe: Optical lens may have smoke/dust/grease accumulated
build-up upon it preventing it from getting a clear read. You might try a lens cleaner disk from a brand name Co. to try & give it a clean.

Direct CD: This sounds like you have Adaptec/Roxio burning software.
If so, this was a known "Issue" (according to MS). They have no concerns re using as burner for CDs but CD Direct for files (where you us it for adding/overwriting files) causes conflicts in some versions (example Adaptec v.4xxx & some
The recommended answer at the time (2002) was to un-install the program completely and clean registry and the re-install using
"Custom Install Option" and uncheck the box for CD Direct to prevent installing this portion.

One other thought: Nero burning software at the time had conflicts with the Adaptec drivers and (as I finally found out after months with Nero Techs) they put out a tool to replace the problem Adaptec drivers with Nero's own. I suspect their IN CD was a similar story to Roxio's.
In my case this was PRE-SP2...if you have original program from either Adaptec or Nero and then upgraded to SP2 via download or MS CD, some functions of both may have be affected and may "not work or work differently" or partially without patches or newer versions from Vendor. Example: Nero burning software Before v.6.1xxx.

Just another angle of thought. I think I'd lean to Burner dying. Happy

Collapse -
I thought about that too ...
by TE7 / March 24, 2007 4:47 PM PDT

I thought about that too, but I wanted to give her a software option before she laid out cash for a new Burner. As far Backing up folders in XP, I prefer the free program CDBurnerXP Pro 3 (just Google it). It does an excellent job, fairly easy to use, and it's FREE. My burner is the same make as hers, but a newer model (2004). I've had no problems with the software. But I do recommend her cleaning her optical lens as a first step in the hardware direction. Also, she said that CD-RW disks have never worked in her PC (since 2002). I think trying the free burner program I mentioned should be one of the first considerations, since it's highly likely it could be a Roxio problem. She should try that before doing an XP repair. Tom

Collapse -
D drive not accessible
by ksteil / March 25, 2007 3:09 AM PDT

Hello, gentlemen
Firstly, I want to thank both of you for all your advice. The detailed explanations have been very helpful
in learning a lot.
Got too tired last eve and went to work on this mystery again this I morning.
I did use the CD feature previously:
have a CD-R with photos from a friend which I copied to the My Pictures folder yesterday.
Also have a CD-RW onto which I saved text and a photo to some time ago.
Then there is a CD-RW with photos (this one is marked DirectCD Formatted)
I guess I had run into things I couldn't understand before, so that I have used this feature so rarely
and always went back to diskettes.

From my trials and errors this morning, I found that the blank CD-RWs I have marked DirectCD formatted
are accepted. The ones which don't work do not have this.
Also checked my programs and found Roxio among them. There I tried a CD-RW without the formatting
notice. It looks as though I have to use this program to write to the CD-RWs which are not DirectCD formatted.
Could that be the answer?
Have chores to do and will work on this again later.

Still, I need to learn about the use of CDs, so that I understand the lingo in the error messages.
In the past, I have always given up and resorted to my trusty standbys, the diskettes.

Collapse -
I think you should try CDBurnerXP Pro ...
by TE7 / March 25, 2007 4:40 AM PDT

CDBurnerXP Pro is a free burner program. It's very good for backing up folders in XP to CD-RW. You can erase your CD-RW (full erase) and then write to your CD-RW. I've never had any problems with it. It's FREE, so give it a try. To erase, choose DISC, then Erase Disc from the menu options, then FULL ERASE. To write, ADD your folders to burn: choose your folder from the top left window, then specify the exact subfolder in the top right, click ADD. Then just click the BURN icon to the left between the Windows. Give it a try. Here's the link for the program:

Good luck. Tom

Collapse -
CDBurnerXP Pro
by ksteil / March 25, 2007 5:37 AM PDT

Thanks, Tom, that sounds like the answer to my prayers!
Do I remove Roxio?

Collapse -
I don't think you need to remove Roxio ...
by TE7 / March 25, 2007 6:08 AM PDT
In reply to: CDBurnerXP Pro

I have a Dell computer (Dimension 8400, 2004), and I have Sonic RecordNow loaded (Sonic associated with Roxio). Since I've been using CDBurnerXP Pro, I never use Sonic any more. You shouldn't have to unistall Roxio. Good luck. Tom

Collapse -
Hi, Karin, curious to know if you fixed your problem ...
by TE7 / April 2, 2007 1:47 AM PDT

Just curious to know if you fixed your problem, and what the fix was. Tom

Collapse -
D drive for CD inaccessible
by ksteil / April 2, 2007 8:08 AM PDT

Hi, Tom

must admit that I haven't been able to try out the programs you recommended.
The problem was that only DirectCD formatted disks were accepted when inserted into the D Drive.
All others had to be launched with Roxio.

I had signed up for a C/Net class and those assignments have taken up quite a bit of my time.
As always though, I'm also learning a lot in the process.

In addition, a few very large trees on our property needed to be taken down. So between house
and garden chores, I haven't been able to worry about storing documents and photos to CD.
I will definitely get back to it asap to try out your suggestions and let you know the results.

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply ...
by TE7 / April 2, 2007 8:20 AM PDT

Keep me posted. When you get the time, I would like to see you eventually solve your problem. Good luck with the trees. Tom

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.