Samsung forum

General discussion

dratted STB alert

by daveat22 / November 20, 2013 11:29 PM PST

I have just installed a 46in 8500 tele and every time I change stations a warning box appears saying the STB is not connected, even though I am connected to a Sky box as my only signal source, and I have to go to the bother of okaying this box every time which is a pain. How can I stop this box appearing?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: dratted STB alert
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: dratted STB alert
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please stand by.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2013 11:39 PM PST
In reply to: dratted STB alert

I don't see full model numbers but one case was solved by changing to another HDMI port. Sorry but the detail was so slim here that let's hope someone else can answer.
Bob

Collapse -
dratted STB alert
by daveat22 / November 21, 2013 1:42 AM PST
In reply to: Please stand by.

sorry Bob model number Samsung UE46F8500ST
I will try connecting to another hdmi port tonight
I also have this connected to a HW-F751 soundbar and in the instructions it says that it will start up when the telly is switched on if it is connected via an optical connection. BUT it doesnt, I have to switch it on separately, so if anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear. This soundbar is very good though.

Collapse -
The sound bar shows an update of 2013.08.22
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2013 1:51 AM PST

That's pretty fresh and I'd love to comment more but the user manual at http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/support/model/HW-F751/ZK-downloads is not working here.

HOWEVER I do see this has Samsungs own Anyent+ (HDMI-CEC) so I suggest you try an HDMI 1.4a cable from TV to the bar on the TV's HDMI port 2. I can't be sure about setup because the Samsung site is not serving up the user manual.

This means I can't check on the power up. The model I know about has a 15 or 20 second power up delay which confused folk that thought it would power up with the TV. Well, it eventually does.
Bob

Collapse -
The web site appears to be working now.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2013 11:02 PM PST

Too late for me to read and see how it works. But I see it does have to be configured.

Collapse -
Re: dratted STB alert
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 21, 2013 10:57 PM PST

Hi daveat22,

You are correct that an optical connection is needed for the auto power feature. You will need to have auto power enabled and anynet+ disabled for this feature to work.

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
STB Alert
by daveat22 / November 22, 2013 1:20 AM PST
In reply to: Re: dratted STB alert

Bob -Thanks for your suggestion, I changed the HDMI feed to the second option and the STB alert box does not now appear. So thank you. I have sent off for a 1.4a HDMI cable and will try that, although the contribution from HD Tech would suggest that it has to be an optical cable.

HD- Tech
Thank you for your contribution, I did read in the manual that auto power should be enabled, but when I pressed that button it told me that this facility is not available. I will now check whether anynet+ is disabled.
While I have the chance, I would say that the manual with this television is the worse I have ever seen, it has hardly anything in it, it is sad that Samsung are cutting back on such a vital essential. At the age of 73 I obviously need a 14 year old around to programme the television as it is so complicated. The days of switching a tele. on straight out of the box and it working, have gone for ever.
However thank you for making a suggestion to my query, that is appreciated.

Collapse -
Thanks for the update.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2013 1:49 AM PST
In reply to: STB Alert

It's a common thing when it comes to Samsung gear. Only one port appears to have the control lines so the trick when you see that sort of message is to find when HDMI port has the control lines and then try it on that port or if you don't want it to control it, move to another port and then depending on the maker, disable/enable this or that.

Could I be more unclear.
Bob

Collapse -
STB alert gone now
by daveat22 / November 23, 2013 5:56 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for the update.

HD Tech

Thank you for your contribution, I now have the soundbar switching on when I switch the tele on, it doesn't switch off but I guess that is the way it is designed, so thanks again for your help.

dave

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.