Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Dr watson post Mortem debugger

by rbenn5 / April 4, 2008 11:34 PM PDT

Today when I started the computer it would not boot up properly and I got the message that "Dr Watson postmortem debugger" encountered a problem and it needed to close. The computer never booted up properly and the desktop would constantly disappear. is this a virus? Also what is Dr Watson debugger,I never heard of it before. I am running my virus software to see if it is a virus. I am on my laptop now.

Computer specs:

Windows XP media center edition 2005 SP2
Gateway dual-core AMD
250 G hard drive
2 gigs of RAM

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dr watson post Mortem debugger
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dr watson post Mortem debugger
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Stumper. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2008 1:02 AM PDT

"The computer never booted up properly and the desktop would constantly disappear. is this a virus? Also what is Dr Watson debugger,I never heard of it before. I am running my virus software"

If the computer never booted up proper how did you manage to run your virus software?

Collapse -
stumper
by rbenn5 / April 5, 2008 5:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Stumper. Why?

sorry about that- blond moment. the first time it stopped booting up after i turned it back on. I then booted it up in safe mode. I then shut it down after that. Then I booted it up and everything was fine. I just wondered what that was.

Collapse -
Things like this happen.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2008 5:30 AM PDT
In reply to: stumper

For example the lights flicker for a split second during boot up and it crashes. You reset and it works. This is something we must not look too deeply at.
Bob

Collapse -
Dr watson postmorten
by gassan1054 / July 5, 2009 9:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Stumper. Why?

After I install service pack 2 for XP home edition, whenever I go into my computer, control panel, my network places and others I get a error message saying dr watson postmortem dugger has encounted an error blah blah blah, then crashes my computer and I need to restart it, I followed all your instructions and got so annoyed that I done a total system restore on my comp however im still getting the same thing happen to me. I uninstalled service pack 2 for the mean time but I would like to have it on there and without all these probs. here is a hjt log hope someone can help me. thanks in advance

Collapse -
Are you rbenn5 ?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 5, 2009 11:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Dr watson postmorten

If not, please create a new discussion in the forum and next time never write blah blah as we use those error messages to figure out what is happening.
Bob

Collapse -
Can't Defrag Dr. Watson
by enraged hormones / September 28, 2009 7:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Are you rbenn5 ?

I'm having a different problem but it comes back to the Dr. Watson file. My free space on my C drive disappeared and I can't run defrag. when I run a partial it tells me it cannot defrag
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\drwtsn32.log

I've got Webroot spy sweeper and I'm constantly on the lookout for virus's. If this is a subject you can help me on I would appreciate it.

Collapse -
Re: defrag
by Kees Bakker / September 28, 2009 7:56 PM PDT

If you can't defrag a certain file: why care? Nothing, really nothing, goes wrong if some files are still fragmented.

And what is "a partial"?

Kees

Collapse -
Partial Defrag
by enraged hormones / September 28, 2009 8:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: defrag

There is not enough free space (15%) needed to run a full defrag and when I view the report it points to the smae file
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\drwtsn32.log

(82gb) over and over again. When I did finally get 15% space free the report came back the same.

I put in the free version of Auslogic Disk Defrag to see if it would help but no go. I've cleaned my registry, and my disks but I still can't defrag the rest.

Collapse -
Then Clear Out More Space and Defrag In Safe Mode
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 29, 2009 4:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Partial Defrag

Clean out some of the junk files on your computer by following the steps in the link below.. First, though try using the Disc Cleanup option in XP to eliminate all but the most recent restore points.. (Click on Start-All Programs-Accessories-System Tools-Disc Cleanup. When that opens, click on the "More Options" tab and click on the "Clean up" button in the "System Restore" section, then select "Yes", when it asks "Are You Sure?".

After that,,,,,,

How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

Then restart into Safe Mode and run Disc Defragmenter.

How To Start In 'Safe Mode'

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Dr Watson
by enraged hormones / September 30, 2009 5:51 PM PDT

Ran defrag in safe mode and the result I get is the same
Files Fragmented 19,151
File Size 82.61 GB
Documents and Settings/All users/applications data/microsoft/Dr Watson/drwtsn 32.ld.

Is the name of the folder I can't seem to get to

Collapse -
Re: drwhatson.
by Kees Bakker / September 30, 2009 6:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Dr Watson

Three questions.

1. In a post above you say the file is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\drwtsn32.log. Now you say the file (folder??) is ocuments and Settings/All users/applications data/microsoft/Dr Watson/drwtsn 32.ld. So: what's the exact filename?

2. A filename isn't a message. A filename is a filename. There must be a context or a reason the filename is mentioned. What's that reason? That's not clear from your post. Can you make a screenprint and put it on some sharing site like imageshack?

3. Why do you want to have this file defragged? I already asked above, but you didn't tell yet?

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.