Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Downloads Stop Before Complete

by realmc / February 24, 2008 10:56 PM PST

Running XPH SP2 Updated, Antivir, Online Aromor, Spy Sweeper, Spybot S&D, and AdAware. Using IE7 with dialup. Problem - When downloading programs, I get notification of "Download Complete", but only portion of file has actually been transfered. Able to work-around with right click, "Save Target As" method, but would like to fix what's wrong in IE. Any ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Downloads Stop Before Complete
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Downloads Stop Before Complete
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try another browser.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2008 11:07 PM PST

The stories with IE7 seem to never end. So when the horse doesn't complete the course your change the horse of course.

Bob

Collapse -
Thinking Firefox
by realmc / February 25, 2008 3:18 AM PST
In reply to: Try another browser.

Thanks Bob, I have considered Firefox, but used IE/Outlook through my working career, and old habits are hard to give up. Now retired, I have read mostly positive feedback on Firefox, but less so about Thunderbird - can Outlook be used with Firefox? If so, is compatibility good?

Collapse -
It works with most sites.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2008 3:34 AM PST
In reply to: Thinking Firefox

There are some it will never work with and for very good reasons.

If you must get IE to work, there are issues with plug ins and protection software. I find it helpful to have an alternate browser handy rather than take the swamp rider dissecting why IE didn't work.

Bob

Collapse -
No need to change email software
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 26, 2008 4:22 AM PST
In reply to: Thinking Firefox

You can still use Outlook even if you are using Firefox. Thunderbird may be the companion email software for Firefox, but as they are separate software packages they do not come 'bundled' together.

Having said that, I have been using Thunderbird for some years now and I find it very good. It is more like Outlook Express than it is Outlook, in feel and looks, but many will say it is more secure, mainly because it is not a Microsoft product. The reasoning behind that is that Internet Explorer and Outlook or Outlook Express are used by so many people, they are the targets for malware writers.

With any change in email software you would have to start again. Although you may be able to export your address book and contacts from Outlook to Thunderbird, those emails you are storing and hanging onto cannot be transferred to the new software, and neither can the sub-folders you have set up. So you have to consider the pros and cons.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks
by realmc / February 26, 2008 9:37 PM PST

Mark, that's helpful info and you have just made my mind up to switch. Can I expect better pop-up control with Firefox?

Collapse -
Well, I think so.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 27, 2008 3:49 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Firefox has a family of addons that help control many things, including pop-ups and pop-unders. The addon I use for that is Adblock Plus and it is available from the Mozilla site.

Others I use are MR Tech Link Wrapper, a technical name for a useful little addon. In these or any forums where a web site address is posted which is too long for the visible window, it wraps the link into two or more lines, and saves having to scroll right.

Get Mail Plus adds a Mail button to Firefox's menu bar to open your default mail software.

Good luck.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.