Audio & Video Software forum

Question

Downloading videos

by ScrapWalker / August 23, 2013 8:56 AM PDT

Hi,

I need a free tool that will enable me to download and play online videos from my desktop. Can anyone help?

Zamzar didn't accept the (perfectly conventional -- eg. mp4) formats I asked it to convert to; Freemake wouldn't install without an installation of a toolbar and/or search engine and other stuff,. which I didn't want.

I have no interest in downloading for any purposes that could infringe copyright.

With thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Downloading videos
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Downloading videos
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
So far, no tool is needed. YouTube for example.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2013 10:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Downloading videos
http://www.youtube.com/static?template=terms writes:

" You shall not download any Content unless you see a "download" or similar link displayed by YouTube on the Service for that Content. "

So for YouTube if there is a download button we're all good. Any downloader should work, fail, work, fail as the sites break the downloader. If your site doesn't have a download button, ask for it.
Bob
Collapse -
Eh?
by ScrapWalker / August 23, 2013 10:38 AM PDT

I have never seen any Download button for Youtube. The only buttons I can see are 'Change Quality', 'Watch Later' and some screen-size settings.

And it's not only Youtube sites -- indeed I am not particularly interested in downloading from Youtube -- that I want to download form -- it's all sorts of sites that host videos.

There used to be a 'download video' option on RealPlayer, but a) it stopped working when I got one of the updates (I think it was an update to RP, not to Windows) and b) I never liked all the 'hard sell' stuff that comes with an installation of RP.

With thanks.

Collapse -
Eh!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 27, 2013 1:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Eh?

The problem you should have discovered is that most of these work, fail and repeat that as the sites change.

You are on a CBS forum so you can bet what the forum policy here is. That is, if the video site has rules about downloading we can't discuss getting around it.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Free video downloader
by Smoot1234 / August 24, 2013 12:23 PM PDT
Collapse -
Downloaders
by ScrapWalker / August 24, 2013 11:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Free video downloader

Thanks but can I take it that I have something like Internet Download Manager already installed, as part of Windows? If so, it doesn't show any signs of helping me download any videos. Perhaps there has to be some facility embedded in the video upload itself?

As regards the second one, it's $29; and there is no mention on the page of anything other than MP3.

With thanks.

Collapse -
Answer
Youtube streaming:
by Wetny / August 26, 2013 11:07 PM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
try Fast YTD
by tom072013 / September 4, 2013 5:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
FYI.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / September 4, 2013 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: try Fast YTD

It's against Youtube's regulations.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Answer
2 software which functions as you say,
by haikay / October 22, 2013 2:14 PM PDT

2 software which functions as you say, I do not know, but you can choose to download idm and watch video by kmp

Collapse -
Answer
Downloading Videos
by hafizasif9201 / October 22, 2013 6:15 PM PDT

Few software names best for video downloading which are also freely available.
IDM (Internet Download Manager)
Orbit Downloader

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.