Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

downloading Kodak easyshare software on XP

by muddyboots1940 / December 24, 2005 9:23 AM PST

For over 4 days I have been trying to download the Kodak easyshare software 5 from their site. It has been a nightmare. I have been on tech chat with microsoft tech telephone talk with Kodak. I uninstalled the old program did the clear utility. Deleted Kodak from c:\program files\common files\kodak. Deleted kodak from c:\program files\Kodak Opened my computer did disk cleanup Temp files, resysle bin & temp int files. Did a search for easyshare setup and deleted that. The one thing I was suppose to do I didn't was disconnect USB devices.. What USB-printer? Then reinstalled from site. After all that the program wouldnot open. I just got an error message report to microsoft. ALso it wanted me to do my fax, I don't have a fax...what am I doing wrong...

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: downloading Kodak easyshare software on XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: downloading Kodak easyshare software on XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's an odd program.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2005 11:43 AM PST

Some report that is some CDRW as a disk drive software is installed, all heck breaks loose. But details are a little slim in your post.

Bob

Collapse -
easyshare xp
by muddyboots1940 / December 25, 2005 9:44 AM PST
In reply to: It's an odd program.

It shows in programs that easyshare is loaded in the add or remove programs at 47.08 MB. But when I right click on the icon on the desk top I get the error message. And it will not open.

Collapse -
What I found is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2005 9:47 AM PST
In reply to: easyshare xp

If some versions of DirectCD or INCD are installed, a post like yours happens. Kodak's tech support usually tells you about this.

bob

Collapse -
I have an older version
by glb613 / December 24, 2005 7:18 PM PST

of the Kodak software and didn't need to disconnect all USB devices to install it. You don't want the camera connected until everything is installed.

You talk about downloading. Once the program is on your computer, did you then try to install it?

If it was me, I'd do a system restore to a time before all of this started and try again.

Collapse -
Also,
by Themisive / December 24, 2005 9:17 PM PST

When you uninstalled Kodak Easyshare, do the thinkgs you have done, BUT also check the registry for stray entries and make sure that your camera is not connected. I know, I had this problem myself. The best thing is to rownload it to a safe location, but DON'T try to load it just yet. Make sure everything is ready, then load it from the download (you'll also need your internet connection active at this time since the loader only really starts the process and gets the rest of the programme for Kodak's site)

Ignore the warning aboout Fax machines, I don't have one but still got the warning. Your printer, if it's parallel, yo should be ok, but it may still be worth unplugging it.

Now you can connect your camera (and printer again if necessary) - be warned though, Easyshare likes to put an icon in the systray, you can shut it down permanently easily enough - then use the destop icon to put it into your quickstart menu. Otherwise it will always be turned on in the background. To stop it recurring, you may have to delete it from msconfig.

click Start/Run, typ in ''msconfig'' (without the quotes) and look on the Startup tab, near the bottom of the page you should see an entry relating to Easyshare, just uncheck it.

Make sure your internet connection is closed and restart the computer, it should be ok now.

Collapse -
easy share on xp
by muddyboots1940 / December 25, 2005 9:36 AM PST

I do believe I will uninstall all kodak off the computer and use the disc that came with the camera easyshare software 4.04 install that again and see what happens..

Collapse -
RE:
by Cursorcowboy / December 24, 2005 9:10 PM PST
After all that the program wouldnot open. I just got an error message report to microsoft.

And the gist of that was? With that information perhaps something will be more useful to help troubleshoot.

1. Error Reporting which is enabled by default displays an error dialog box prompting the user to indicate whether or not they want to report the problem. When choosing to report the problem, technical information about the problem is collected and then sent to Microsoft over the Internet. If a report is rendered and if a similar problem has been reported by other people and more information is available, a link to that information will be provided the user. Turning it ON or turning it OFF is the user's call. For assistance and resolution, we would need to know WHAT cause(s) is/are reported.

a. Were there no links or anything else provided should you submit the report?

b. Please. For your benefit, always report the error information this report contains when wanting our analyses.

2. When a system error occurs, the computer displays a blue screen containing error codes and all computer operations stop. When an illegal operation or other error occurs in a program, that program stops working. System and program errors may be transmitted to Microsoft which allows them to track and address operating system, Windows component, and program errors. Error Reporting configuration is outlined in, [Q310414]:

a. Enable or disable
b. Enable for the operating system
c. Specify the program for which a report is generated
d. Remove programs from the list
e. Send an error report to Microsoft

3. Supplemental reading:

a. "Description and Availability of Internet Explorer Error Reporting Tool (Q276550)."

b. "No Date or Time Information Available When Program Stops Responding in Windows 98 or Windows Me (Q280660)."

c. "How to Disable or Redirect Internet Explorer Error Reporting (Q310116)."

d. "How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP (Q310353)."

e. "HOW TO: Configure and Use Error Reporting in Windows XP (Q310414)."

f. "Preparation Before You Contact Microsoft After Receiving a STOP Message on a Blue Screen (Q314103)."

g. "You Receive a "System Has Recovered from a Serious Error" Message After Every Restart (Q317277)."

4. Many users question what the file "Appcompat.txt" is, besides assuming that IT is the error itself, which is a file generated by the WinXP compatibilit
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.