The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Downloading CNET Video Pod casts with Juice Downloader App

by dfcnet2010 / June 27, 2010 8:11 PM PDT

All.

I have been using juice Podcast downloader for months now to download cnet and revision3 video and its been great.

http://download.cnet.com/Juice/3000-2169_4-10812771.html

But for the last few weeks cnet videos were not being downloaded. Revision3 stuff was fine.

The podcast list appears but the sizes for them show as 0.0mb.

Ive seen some posts about redirecting in CNET causing problems but havent seen a solution.

I want to stick with this type of downloader but neither the Juice site or CNET has acknowledged the problem. Also I dont want to use itunes.

Anyone any ideas ?

David

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Downloading CNET Video Pod casts with Juice Downloader App
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Downloading CNET Video Pod casts with Juice Downloader App
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Similar problem...
by hollyhock / June 28, 2010 12:05 AM PDT

Only I'm just using the straight up Video (SD) RSS feed directly on my MP3 player updating through Wi-Fi. I'm not using any podcast software They are aware of the problem and working on it according to Jason. I asked him about it in the chat last week and he confirmed it's being worked on still.

Collapse -
Seem fine with Miro
by skellener / June 28, 2010 3:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Similar problem...
Collapse -
Still in the works...
by raygun01 / June 29, 2010 9:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Similar problem...

Ugh. I'm sorry guys. The problem is its entirely out of my hands. We have a team investigating the fix which involves using a URL shortener for our long media links... For some reason Juice can't handle feeds derived from really long URLs, and throwing a shortener in the mix seems to fix the problem.

The problem though lies in the fact that our feeds are all automatically generated so converting these links to shortened URLs requires a little bit of engineering to do. I am waiting on this to happen. Sorry. Sad

I'm sad at how long this has not worked.

Collapse -
Still nothing?
by hollyhock / July 9, 2010 2:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Still in the works...

Last time I checked (a few days ago) the feeds were still not working for me. I don't mean to be a pest but I just wondered if there was any update on this. I don't use any podcasting software (and don't want to). I download directly to my MP3 player over WiFi based on the SD Video RSS feeds. I really don't want to have to sync with my computer at home each day and I certainly don't have time lately to manually download podcasts. I haven't listened to any CNET podcasts now in a month! Sad That was one of the main selling points for me to get the MP3 player that I have.

Thanks!
Holly

Collapse -
CNET video podcasts downloaded to iPad via iTunes app
by eBalut / July 13, 2010 8:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Still in the works...

Not sure if it is a related problem, but if I download any CNET video podcasts directly to my iPad via the iTunes app, they will show a duration of 0:00 and will not play. If I download them via iTunes on my desktop PC, then sync them to my iPad via the USB cable, they play just fine. Please fix so I can watch on the plane when traveling away from my PC...

Collapse -
CNET video podcasts downloaded to iPad via iTunes app
by dfcnet2010 / July 13, 2010 5:32 PM PDT

Probably the same issue I was having with Juice Downloader.

The files were all 0.0mb.

Its to do with the redirected links to the video files in cnet.

Your app probably has the same issue....

Collapse -
Update
by dfcnet2010 / July 12, 2010 8:25 PM PDT

I have downloaded Miro (thanks Skellener) and it works well.

There are a few drawbacks for me.

1: I have a net pc that comes out of sleep for 1 hour every day to download podcasts. With juice it would start downloading as soon as pc started up but miro only has 30 mins or longer to check for updates. A run at startup or every five minute option would be nice.

2: with juice you could run a file after download of each file. I used a batch file to copy the download to my satellite receivers recordings folder so it was with my TV recordings each evening but there is no feature like this in Miro. I tried task scheduler but it wasnt overly successful.

I do like the ease of adding podcasts to the download sectionin miro though.

Collapse -
It's Juice for me or NOTHING
by MrPhlash / July 17, 2010 6:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Update

OK, a little overstated I know. Everything else works perfectly with Juice, so I have no desire to install another program. I'm just not downloading cnet videos anymore. What I'm finding is I don't really miss them either. I DO listen to the mp3 versions, so I'm keeping up.

Yes, I know I'm being whiny. Sorry everyone.

Collapse -
I understand what you mean.
by hollyhock / July 17, 2010 6:57 AM PDT

I'm pretty upset about losing my feeds though. I don't use any program at all. Just the RSS feeds straight to my MP3 player over WiFi. The main reason I bought it was so I would never have to sync to a program if I didn't want to. I haven't seen any podcasts since the feeds went down over a month ago. I very much miss them. Sad

Collapse -
I miss our feeds working normally very much too...
by raygun01 / July 19, 2010 1:00 AM PDT

I'm pretty upset that its taken this long. I hate to say it but this particular issue is out of my hands at this point. It goes deeper than my ability to hack together some fix for it. It requires our production team to tweak how all of our podcast download files are served from our site and that requires new code.

I don't understand the whole issue at hand, but I completely understand the results for our users of Juice right now and it dissapoints me to no end to know that you guys n gals have been turning to alternative methods of (or simply not downloading) our podcast downloads because of this issue.

sigh

I'm so sorry folks. I will check in again to see what the progress is on this.

Collapse -
Bump
by hollyhock / August 4, 2010 4:24 AM PDT

Bumping this post back up. Any word on this? We're coming up on two months now.

I know it's being researched and that it's not an easy fix. I just find it impossible to believe that it would take this long to fix something if it meant the iTunes subscribers were dealing with broken feeds. I know that's probably the majority of the audience but plain old RSS not working and no one can fix it? I know it has to do with the way the feeds are produced but it just seems odd that we're at almost two months and still nothing.

Very frustrated without my CNET podcasts. Sad

Collapse -
Another post bump...
by hollyhock / August 26, 2010 4:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Bump

Still no CNET podcasts for me since first week of June. Sad

Collapse -
Another bump
by hollyhock / September 20, 2010 4:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Another post bump...

But I doubt it will do any good. Still no CNET podcast feed updates using the SD RSS feeds.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.