Computer Help forum

General discussion

Downloaded word 2007; can't open 2003 documents

by K-teach / February 5, 2009 12:08 PM PST

I just purchased a HP Pavilion dv7-1232 laptop. It came w/ a 60 day trial version of Microsoft Office 2007. So I downloaded it onto the new computer. Now when I try to open anything that was saved on my flash drive in Word 2003, it comes out all typed "jibberish". What can I do to have the docs. open correctly just as they were when I typed them in the 2003 version. And, I already tried to locate a drop down bar that says 2003, thnking this would convert it to 2003 when the doc opens up in the 2007 version. Yet, there is no 2003 drop down bar present. Again what can i do?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Downloaded word 2007; can't open 2003 documents
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Downloaded word 2007; can't open 2003 documents
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You can't "download" ...
by Kees Bakker / February 5, 2009 4:32 PM PST

Office 2007. So please tell what you did. Trial versions usually are installed already on the hard disk. Yours wasn't?

Kees

Collapse -
2003 Word - 2007 Word
by K-teach / February 5, 2009 8:03 PM PST

Well, I guess that it already came on my computer as a 60 day trial. Yet, my big problem is that this 2007 version won't read my 2003 documents. What can I do?

Collapse -
Re: trial doesn't work.
by Kees Bakker / February 5, 2009 8:31 PM PST
In reply to: 2003 Word - 2007 Word

You tried the trial and it didn't work. Something is wrong, because - as you already guessed - it should work.

But it seems a good reason to uninstall it and install another word processor. Even if it worked, it only works for 60 days. So you can just as well decide now.

Things to choose from, for example:
- MS Office 2003
- OpenOffice Write 3.0 (free)
- Lotus Symphony (free)
- A paid version of Office 2007

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
And, of course, ...
by Kees Bakker / February 6, 2009 6:07 AM PST
In reply to: 2003 Word - 2007 Word

there are other possibilities that we didn't check. Some experiments.

1. Can the original Word 2003 on your other machine read these same files from the same USB-stick. They might be corrupted, somehow.
2. In the new 2007, make a file and save it in .doc format (that's 2003 format). Can you open that?
3. Maybe the usb-stick is fine, but that doesn't mean the usb-port is fine. That might corrupt your data also. Check another USB-port. Mail yourself one of those documents (the original one) from the old to the new computer. Does it open? Find any .doc on the Internet (use advanced search in google to select on filetype), download and open. Does that work?

All we know at the moment: these files from these stick in this USB-port won't open. The above experiments show more.

Kees

Collapse -
MS Office trial
by Phil Crase / February 5, 2009 9:27 PM PST

Download the latest version of Acrobat Reader.

Collapse -
What happens if you opwn Word 2007 then ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 5, 2009 11:10 PM PST

use the File | Open method to locate and open the file AND ensure that you select the correct file version in that File open window? (remember, the File menu is now the little round Office button)

Also READ THIS LINK -
"Use Word 2007 to open documents created in previous versions of Word"
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA100444751033.aspx (there is also a little box in the upper right quadrant of the link above that offers a demo and a "movie" to assist)

These links should also prove useful and forstall future potential problems:
Users of Microsoft Office Word 2003 and 2007 Can Share Documents!
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1147604/sharing_documents_between_word_2007.html?cat=59

Word Viewer 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=95E24C87-8732-48D5-8689-AB826E7B8FDF

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.