Windows 7

General discussion

Download wont start

by mcginlay / January 7, 2011 2:15 PM PST

Im running window 7 and explora 8 and when i try to download a programe by saving it, it doesn't start. Ican on my old xp computer with the same antivirus programe and all settings the same.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Download wont start
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Download wont start
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Any error messages?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 7, 2011 9:25 PM PST
In reply to: Download wont start

See if I understand what you are saying.

You find a software title on the internet using Internet Explorer 8, (IE8). IE downloads the software file installer to some location you choose, (I always choose my Desktop as it is easy to find again). Then when you click on the file, what happens? Any error messages?

Is this every file you download or just a particular one? If just one, tell us where it is so we can see if there is anything unusual.

Mark

Collapse -
download problems
by mcginlay / January 8, 2011 7:52 AM PST
In reply to: Any error messages?

I don't get any error messages, I have been able to download from microsoft site but have the run it, not save it to a file. when i do it from download.com and go to save it, it comes up with 0percent and then the page freezes, usually have to ctrl alt delete to get out of it. ive tried 2 different downloads.

Collapse -
Any download accelerators?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 8, 2011 8:10 PM PST
In reply to: download problems

Are you using any download accelerator? If so, disable that. We often see reports of this where such accelerators are used.

Mark

Collapse -
no accelorators
by mcginlay / January 9, 2011 7:20 AM PST

this has got me puzzled. I tried the new explorer 9 but that didn't make any difference.

Collapse -
What Firewall are you using?
by Edward ODaniel / January 9, 2011 7:44 AM PST
In reply to: download problems

Some allow rules to block specific file extensions.

Install Firefox or Opera and see if you experience the same problem. Installing either or both will not affect your choice of browser UNLESS during the installation you are not paying attention and CHOOSE to make one of them your default browser.

In your Control Panel open Internet Options and click the Security tab. Internet should already be highlighted so click the Custom Level button. Now scroll down those settings and you will see a section headed Downloads. Is File download enabled or disabled? If disabled you need to enable it. Click OK if you made changes and cancel if you didn't need to.

Additionaly, make sure that your user account has the necessary permissions to save files wherever you are trying to save the file.

Collapse -
problem solved
by mcginlay / January 9, 2011 10:49 AM PST

I re checked security tab changed one thing and was able to download then I changed it back to where it was and still worked??????????????????just one of them things that get to you now and again thanks for all the help

Collapse -
So, are we fixed now?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 9, 2011 7:48 PM PST
In reply to: problem solved

If so, nice work.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.