Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Download .wav attachment in yahoo, IE7=Yes, Firefox=No

by kinneyd / January 25, 2008 1:15 PM PST

I have lost the ability, in the last 3 days sometime, to download a .wav attachment from yahoo mail while running Firefox (2.0.0.11). Download works fine in IE7 for the same file. This is how I receive my voicemail from my voIP phone service. The only program I knowingly updated in this time is OpenOffice from 2.2 to 2.3
I've tried re-associating the file handling from VLC player to Windows media player to Quicktime and back again - no difference.
Other attachments that I've tried are fine. Any thoughts? Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Download .wav attachment in yahoo, IE7=Yes, Firefox=No
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Download .wav attachment in yahoo, IE7=Yes, Firefox=No
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Without knowing what extension you are using
by PudgyOne / January 25, 2008 6:30 PM PST

I can give you a vague answer.

If using NoScript, allow yahoo.com and yimg.com

If it still doesn't work, then try IE Tab

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

After you install IE Tab and restart Mozilla Firefox, go to Yahoo's mail page. right click on the Firefox icon at the bottom of the page and click add, apply and ok.

Yahoo will open using the IE tab feature, which is the same as using Internet Explorer.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
I agree with Rick, and would add a question.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 25, 2008 8:16 PM PST

When you talk about download, do you mean downloading the attachment, or playing the attachment?

Are you able to download the .wav attachment that came with the email? Does it appear as an attachment to the email?

If so, what happens if you first try to save the attachment to your hard disk, (eg the Desktop is a good, temporary location), then play it from there?

I would just say that it is not wise to open any attachments directly from emails, because of the risk of viruses. It is best to save the attachment first then scan it with your anti-virus scanner before opening it.

Mark

Collapse -
What I've tried so far
by kinneyd / January 25, 2008 10:02 PM PST

Thanks for the responses
I do use noscript and yahoo.com and yimg.com are both allowed
I will look a trying the IE tab if nothing else works
This function worked fine on Jan 21st and not on Jan 24th. The only thing I knowingly upgraded was OpenOffice. I think there was a background Microsoft update and some of my Firefox add-ons probably updated and my password program RoboForm had an update.

As for the download itself, I get to the Virus scan results box and the "Download Attachment" or "Cancel" buttons. When I click on the download. Firefox does what looks like a refresh and nothing else happens - I can neither open or save (the option screen does not open). This is unique to .wav files so far (these are trusted from the source, it is my voicemail from my VoIP phone account)and I have been able to open/save .tif, .wpd, .mdb so far.

I forwarded the message to my Gmail account this morning and it opened fine there (still in Firefox) so this appears to be a Yahoo only issue with Firefox. I can narrow my efforts there and have also asked the question in the Yahoo realm.

Thanks for the help, the answer is somewhere.

Collapse -
The problem is with NoScript v1.3 update
by kinneyd / January 26, 2008 12:51 AM PST
In reply to: What I've tried so far

I started more testing on the items I knew had changed. I disabled NoScript add-on and everything worked fine. Re-enabled and the error recurred. Rolled back to v1.2.9 and everything worked fine. So I'm good for now and just have to refuse updates until something is fixed

I have thrown this problem up on the Mozillazine forum for Noscript

Thanks for getting my brain working with your questions

Collapse -
(NT) I have version 1.3.1
by PudgyOne / January 26, 2008 2:00 AM PST
Collapse -
Solution!
by kinneyd / January 26, 2008 7:38 AM PST
In reply to: I have version 1.3.1

After response from a nice gentleman in Italy, I did the following:
1.Unchecked the "Forbid Other Plugins" in NoScript
2.Attempt Downloading the attachment again
3.This time the IP of the download server is exposed and I can allow it in NoScript
4.Recheck the "forbid other plugin" setting
All is well with my downloads
Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.