Resolved Question

Download Manager stopped working

by duell280zx / August 20, 2011 10:05 PM PDT

Download Manager stopped working in Windows 7

duell280zx has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Download Manager stopped working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Download Manager stopped working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by duell280zx

Collapse -
I would like a better diagnosis first.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 24, 2011 8:41 PM PDT

Practically all we know is "Download manager doesn't work in IE9" and "Download doesn't even start".
But as IE doesn't come with a download manager, that really doesn't tell much.

Please try this, in all of your browsers:
- Right click on any of the pictures you see on this page (the community newsletter in the left column is fine, but the cnet logo in the left upper corner works also).
- Choose something like 'save picture as ...'

If I do this I get a popup window asking what folder to save the downloaded picture in. Then, if I click save, it downloads that picture and saves it.
What happens with you?

Do you have any security software that might block such a download?

Kees

Collapse -
I would like a better diagnosis first.
by duell280zx / August 26, 2011 10:53 AM PDT

Kees:

Collapse -
Blimey!
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 26, 2011 9:32 PM PDT

And there I thought this was a problem downloading software files and such, not links and images from within web pages.

Serves me right for making assumptions and for not asking precise questions.

In IE, when I right click the CNET logo at the top of the page, I get a list of options. The image below shows them, (you may have to click to magnify the image);
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/148/rightclicku.jpg/

I don't see any "Save Picture", but I do see a "Save Target". Save Picture seems to be disabled for this link image.

What do you see?

If you don't see "Save Target" then this would seem to be a "Right Click Context Menu" problem, not a download manager problem. But if so, I will leave Kees to investigate that as I am in the dark there.

Mark

Collapse -
I see the same thing. EXPLAINER.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 27, 2011 6:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Blimey!

Since the image does have an URL attached to it that's exactly what I see here and should happen.

If you see other web sites with images and no links attached to the images you'll see the menu change.

Nothing busted.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes, of course.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 27, 2011 6:28 AM PDT

It's a clickable image link, so no choice to 'view the image'.

I should have known better.

Mark

Collapse -
Then I would try a System Restore ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 27, 2011 12:30 AM PDT

back to July 26. Does that help?

Kees

Collapse -
Download Manager Problem-Solved
by duell280zx / September 2, 2011 8:49 PM PDT

Thanks to all who responded. I called in a professional who diagnosed and fixed the problem. It was a virus which corrupted McAfee and hijacked my search provider. It took almost an entire day to fix the problem, then removed McAfee and loaded another anti-virus program.
Duell

Collapse -
Re: virus
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 2, 2011 11:24 PM PDT

Thanks for telling how this mystery was solved. Nobody here mentioned a virus.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Then don't use it.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 20, 2011 10:07 PM PDT

I don't use 3rd party download managers but instead just use the Browsers' download manager.

Try that.

Mark

Collapse -
by duell280zx / August 21, 2011 1:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Then don't use it.

It IS my browser's download manager that has stopped working, not a 3rd party manager. Worked fine for about 2 months after purchasing computer, then just stopped.

Collapse -
Tell us more.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 21, 2011 4:59 AM PDT

In what way has it stopped?

Do downloads start to work then halt, or do downloads not even begin? Any error messages?

You say it used to work. What has changed on this computer since then?

Have you tried System Restore back to when this worked?

Mark

Collapse -
Download Manager stopped working.
by duell280zx / August 21, 2011 8:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Tell us more.

Downloads don't even begin. I believe an update to an older version of Microsoft Office caused this to start happening. I have since removed the updates and the Office software program.

Collapse -
Do you have any other browsers installed?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 21, 2011 8:20 PM PDT

Hi duell.

The first test would be to try another browser, eg like Firefox from http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/

If you have that, (or any other browser on your system), try that. If you don't have any other browser, download and install Firefox, but if you can't download even that using IE9, then find another computer, relatives or friends, download the installer file using that, then copy the file to some external media, eg a memory stick or CD, and copy 'that' to your computer and install it that way.

Other than that,let's try another test. Open IE in it's "No Add-ons" mode. To do that, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools, then "Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)". This IE has all add-ons disabled. See if you can now download, and if so, the problem points to one of IE's add-ons.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
by duell280zx / August 21, 2011 8:56 PM PDT
Mark:
The first test would be to try another browser, eg like Firefox from <a href="http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank"><font color="#0066a0">http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/</font></a>
Have tried with Google Chrome and doesn't work.

If you have that, (or any other browser on your system), try that. If you don't have any other browser, download and install Firefox, but if you can't download even that using IE9, then find another computer, relatives or friends, download the installer file using that, then copy the file to some external media, eg a memory stick or CD, and copy 'that' to your computer and install it that way.
Will try this later, but if Chrome doesn't work, then I'm suspecting that Firefox won't either.

Other than that,let's try another test. Open IE in it's "No Add-ons" mode. To do that, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools, then "Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)". This IE has all add-ons disabled. See if you can now download, and if so, the problem points to one of IE's add-ons.
Did Start>All Programs>Accessories....No "System" Tools appears

Good luck. (I need it.) Thanks for trying to help on this.
Collapse -
No System Tools?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 21, 2011 9:05 PM PDT

That's strange because it has been a standard shortcut location in the Start Menu in all Windows OSes since Windows 95.

Try this. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to;
C:\Users\{User Account Name}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools

You will have to substitute your own Windows Account Name for {User Account Name}

Is this some non-standard install of Windows 7?

Since Chrome fails as well this looks like the OS is damaged. Is there any other symptom of problems with this OS?

Can you download files in Windows 7's "Safe Mode with Networking"?

Mark

Collapse -
by duell280zx / August 21, 2011 10:21 PM PDT
In reply to: No System Tools?

Mark:

Collapse -
Ahh, that could be a big clue.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 22, 2011 5:18 AM PDT

If you are having many problems with this operating system then may be we need to look further into that.

Is this some sort of malware or virus damage? What I mean is, have you had a virus recently, and if so, what did you do to get rid of it? What anti-virus security do you use?

Mark

Collapse -
by duell280zx / August 22, 2011 7:14 AM PDT

Mike:

<div>Is this some sort of malware or virus damage? What I mean is, have you had a virus recently, and if so, what did you do to get rid of it? What anti-virus security do you use? Have had no virus indicated, since this is a brand new Dell computer purchased in June. McAfee is installed and runs as scheduled.

I've noticed an update to the fileformatconverters.exe program that was downloaded around the time of this strange phenomenon. I had an old version of Excel running on the new computer and think it possibly could be the reason for this?? I'm looking on-line helps for how to uninstall that particular update to the Office Suite that I installed and can't find a solution that makes any sense at all. Also, there are no restore points prior to the date of this program update. Any thoughts?

Duell

Collapse -
In that case.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 22, 2011 9:40 PM PDT

Hi again duell.

That talk of the Office update might be relevant. I doubt it, because I don't see why a file converter from Microsoft would affect browser downloads, but there are two ways to test this.

1] Uninstall that update. it can be done but you may need to research which update it was. In Windows 7 goto Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features.

Select the "View Installed Updates" link in the left hand column. You 'might' be looking for any office or Excel Viewer updates, but I can't be sure. This one may be relevant, but again, I can't be sure. That update refers to KB924074 and it certainly mentions this file.

So, to uninstall this update, select it from the list then click Uninstall or Change.

I would reboot, (restart) the computer after it is done, Windows may force a reboot any way but if it doesn't I would still do it.

2] System Restore. But I note you say there is no Restore Point prior to the date of this download. Do you mean none at all? That would be strange.

Mark

Collapse -
by duell280zx / August 23, 2011 10:49 AM PDT
In reply to: In that case.

Hey again, Mark:

Collapse -
Answer
Continued...
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 23, 2011 9:26 PM PDT

Continued from here;
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-7574_102-5191265.html

In that case it is time to get serious. Dell is unlikely to help here because this appears to be a software problem, not hardware, and likely something that has been installed, or some malware, or similar that has occurred after you received the computer.

So, lets make sure this is not malware. McAfee does a good job for viruses but there is other malware out there that anti-virus scanners do not pick up.

First of all, reboot the computer into Safe Mode With Networking. To do that, restart the computer, and before Windows begins to load start pressing the F8 key gently, once a second. Eventually you should see a list of options. Use the keyboard arrow controls to select "Safe Mode with Networking", then press the Enter key.

Windows will load up, but the display will be larger and not so well defined. There will just be a black Desktop with no background image.

Open your browser and go to the two following links for the free versions of Malwarebytes Anti-malware and SUPERAntiSpyware.

Download those two free anti-malware scanners and save the files to your Desktop.

When done, shutdown and restart the computer and it should restart back into it's Normal Mode.

When Windows is loaded, find those two downloaded files and, one at a time, install MBAM then SAS.

When each one is installed open each and update the malware definitions.

Run each utility's scanners for a full scan, one after the other.

Let each utility find and delete all malware they find.

When they are both done, reboot the computer and try the browsers again.

Mark

Collapse -
Continued-Download Manager
by duell280zx / August 24, 2011 7:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Continued...

Mark:

Collapse -
To be honest?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 24, 2011 8:24 PM PDT

I'm stumped.

Since we have covered all usual suspects, trying a different browser, trying IE in it's "No-Add-ons" mode, uninstalling a recent update which is the only visible change since this began, no viruses found by McAfee, then the next step is other forms of malware.

To do that, you need to download the two utilities MBAM and SAS I suggested, but your browsers won't download. That may or may not be caused by malware damage.

However there may be a chance that the browsers will work in Safe Mode with Networking. In Safe Mode, a lot of viruses and malware simply do not get loaded and don't have a chance to cause damage. Also, in Safe Mode, the OS is loaded into a diagnostic mode with very few services and processes loaded Browsers will still work but Add-ons are disabled. We need the system as basic as possible.

So, to download those utilities hopefully Safe Mode with Networking will do that. If that fails then the next step is to download those applications onto another computer and transfer them across to this one.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.