Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

download manager issues

by mkingston2 / November 13, 2012 9:13 PM PST

I use frequently and have recommended it as a safe place to download software for years. Lately it has become virtually impossible to download the utilities I want without getting some garbage toolbar or other software that infests my computer. Even though I diligently uncheck check boxes during the download, I spend twice as much time undoing the changes to my browser and uninstalling this junk than I do actually downloading what I was looking for. I have always chosen because I didn't have to worry about the hitchhikers that came with the desired downloads, but that is now changed.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: download manager issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: download manager issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience here.
by CNETSupport / November 14, 2012 3:48 AM PST

It sounds like you may have had some issues with the CNET Installer. The CNET Installer is an ad-supported stub installer or "download manager" used for many software titles on our site, and does offer additional, optional third party applications during the installation process. All offers included in the Installer are tested to make sure that they conform with our security policies prohibiting malware and spyware, and all may be declined or opted-out of without affecting the initial download.

If you do not wish to use the CNET Installer, you always have the option of using the "Direct Download Link" instead. All products on CNET have a direct download link, but only "CNET Installer Enabled" products call it out separately.

Depending on your browser and the specific product you are looking at, you can find the "Direct Download Link" in one of three places on the page for CNET Installer Enabled items:

- Right underneath the green "Download Now" button

- By mousing over the green "Download Now" button in order to see and click the "Direct Download Link" in a pop-up bubble

- By mousing over the blue "CNET Installer Enabled" text in the "Quick Specifications" column to the right side of the product page to see and click the "Direct Download Link" in a pop-up bubble

You also have the option to turn off the Installer for the whole site, though you do currently need to have a CNET account and be logged in to take advantage of that feature. To do so, login to the site, click the "My profile" link and then the "Update my Preferences" link, select the "Off" option and click the "Save Changes" button.

You can read more about the Installer here:

If you have any trouble with future downloads from our site or wish to pass along feedback in general, please feel free to contact our support team by filling out the form and clicking "Submit" on the following page:

CNET Customer Help

Collapse -
by mkingston2 / November 15, 2012 12:13 AM PST

Thank you. I'll look harder next time. After using C/NET and for something like 15 years, I guess I've gotten complacent with the "Download Now" button!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.