Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Cameras

General discussion

Download Flip video to portable device?

by alsacelor / October 23, 2008 10:35 AM PDT

I will be traveling through India and will want to take more than 60 mins of video. I will not have access to a computer. Does anyone have recommendations on portable devices that I can download video onto?

Flip customer support says that flash drives are possible but will not recommend any.

Are there any technical issues I should be aware of?

Thank you.

Lorraine

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Download Flip video to portable device?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Download Flip video to portable device?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not an option.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2008 11:02 AM PDT

Given how the flip works you should leave it at home. It works as a hard disk and needs a PC, Mac or any computer to offload it with. My buddy went to India and had no trouble bringing a laptop and when that was at the hotel just went to a internet cafe.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by alsacelor / October 24, 2008 3:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Not an option.

However, I plan to travel very light.

I have it from Flip customer support that the video can be downloaded to flash cards; they just don't give recommendations as to which ones work.

That's the info I need.

Thanks.

Collapse -
ALL FLASH CARDS WORK!!!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 24, 2008 3:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

No one should ever give you a list. But here's the twist. You need a PC or Mac in the middle to copy the files over.

Hope this clears that up.
Bob

Collapse -
flash cards
by alsacelor / October 24, 2008 3:39 AM PDT

So I download it to a computer and then onto a flash card?

Why don't the Flip people just say that? They lead me to believe that I can download directly to a flash.... ugh.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Mini-computer
by Baper / October 24, 2008 8:42 PM PDT
In reply to: flash cards

If the cost is not prohibitive, you might consider a mini-computer. Acer, Asus, HP and Dell make small, light, mobile computers that cost from $350 to $500. The Acer Aspire One Netbook is probably the least expensive and could handle your Flip videos. A 6 cell battery is optional and lasts for 5 to 6 hours on a charge. But then there is the problem of charging it in India. Good luck!
Baper

Collapse -
Download Flip video to portable device?
by Clawhammerman / June 11, 2010 1:41 PM PDT

I know this is old, but there is a very easy way to do this now. Get the Memorex TravelSync. Plug the Flip in one side, a flash drive in the other. Press a button and files are transferred. Just got mine today...works like a charm. Just remember that 2 hours of video takes up about 8Gb of space, so buy your flash accordingly. I got a 32G flash drive. That's 8 hours on the flash...2 in the camera for a total of 10 hours. You may want more. They also sell the Travellink which reads data cards and is more money. If you want to download to cards just get a usb card reader and use that. I payed less than $10 for mine on Ebay.

Collapse -
Download flip video to portable device
by eurosteve / December 29, 2012 12:54 AM PST

Yes! This is very hard information to find! Looks like just the thing!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.