Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

download direct from CD to MP3 player

by 64068 / December 22, 2006 12:12 AM PST

I've been wanting to buy an MP3 player, but can't seem to find what I want. My purpose for buying an MP3 player is to store my entire CD collection (350+, at last count) on one, compact, portable device. While I do own a fairly new laptop - and an old desktop - I really don't want to store my music there, even temporarily. I don't want to take up all that disk space and I really don't want the hassle of copying my music to my hard drive so that I can download it to the MP3 player, then have to go back and erase it. And I have no intention whatsoever of downloading music from the internet. Call me old-fashioned.
SO - what I really want is an MP3 player (or software) that will allow me to download directly from the CD to the MP3 player (using the laptop or my stereo strictly as a throughput device). Toshiba used to have a 'one touch' button for that function on the docking station for their Gigabeat, but they seem to have done away with it. I also want to avoid any proprietary issues (i.e., plays most common formats). And I really don't care about storing videos. Temporarily storing photos might be nice, but definitely not a deal breaker. I would like something that is easily navigable, allowing me to find music by artist, album or track.
Anyone know of a product like that? (It would, of course, have to be at least 20Gb and preferably bigger.)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: download direct from CD to MP3 player
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: download direct from CD to MP3 player
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
come on lets be realistic.
by ahtoi / December 22, 2006 12:48 AM PST

This is a MP3 player not mp3 player_computer. Mp3 computer would problaly cost you an arm and a leg anyway. I maybe wrong here but I think you could do this with your computer; the converted mp3 goes directly to the mp3 player (mp3 player act as another harddrive).

Collapse -
I think you misunderstood....
by 64068 / December 22, 2006 5:02 AM PST

Actually, I think that's exactly what I was asking for - a solution that could work via the computer. (Although if someone could figure out another way, I wouldn't object.) I don't mind using the computer as a flow-through device, which would convert the music to mp3 (or whatever) format, before transferring it to the mp3 player.
What I object to is storing the music on the computer before transferring it to the mp3 player. It seems like I'm introducing a 'middle man', not to mention a lot of extra work, into the process. Let's remember that I'm not downloading a track here or there. We're talking an entire music library - larger than average. And I don't want to clutter the hard drive on my PC with all that - if I even have room. Besides, loading it on one electronic device so I can move it to another seems rather redundant to me.
In the end, I think what I'm really looking for is a software solution. But I want a bundled software solution. I don't want to buy the mp3 player from one manufacturer and the software from another and then be left holding the bag when they don't work together.

Collapse -
So what happens if you lose your player
by ktreb / December 22, 2006 7:58 AM PST

or if it gets stolen/broken/etc? You then have to do it all over again. It took me months to convert all the cds that I wanted to convert to mp3s (approx 500, but I have more). It then took only 2 or hours to transfer them to my iPod and I just let my computer/iPod do all the work while I did something else.

Best of luck to you.

Collapse -
Hadn't thought of that....
by 64068 / December 22, 2006 11:58 PM PST

Thanks for that thought. It had not ocurred to me. I just figured an mp3 player was sort of a semi-permanent device. I tend to think long term where TVs, stereos, etc. are concerned. (One of the TVs in my house is over 20 years old and I still have a stereo I bought 20+ years ago.) But electronic devices do break and become out-dated. Still, doesn't that take up a ton of space on your hard drive? And how do you back it all up? Also, one of the things that I don't like about some of the software that comes with the mp3 players is that it does a 'stare and compare' between the music on your hard drive and the music on the mp3 player, then updates based on the differences (iPod, for example). I'd really rather be in control and tell it what to download and what not to. Not sure you've completely changed my mind, but it has given me pause.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.