Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

download connection timed out?

by izhevsk / December 18, 2003 6:54 PM PST

Whenever I try to download a large download(RTCW Enemy territory and map pack)an error message comes up stating the connection timed out. HELP Shocked

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: download connection timed out?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: download connection timed out?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:download connection timed out?
by dcmorris / December 18, 2003 10:17 PM PST

Check with your ISP. For security reasons, some ISP's will time out after a certain length of time. This happended to me with a former ISP. Their limit was four hours and I had a download that required five plus hours. That was one of many reasons I switched to DSL.
Let us know what you find.

DC

Collapse -
Re:download connection timed out?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 19, 2003 12:14 AM PST

Loaded,

In addition to DC's good suggestion....

Whenever posting questions on these forums, please give us as much information as possible about your computer. We neeed the operating system, processor speed, amount of RAM installed, the EXACT error message you are receiving, in your case, it would sure help to know the type of internet connection you are using, plus anything else you can think of which might help. (Has this type of problem just started or has it been an issue for a while?, etc.) The more information you can give us, the better informed our answer will be.

Hope this helps and let us know.

Grif

Collapse -
In addition to DC's good suggestion....
by izhevsk / December 19, 2003 11:42 AM PST

Sure no problem, I'm using windows xp, 2.4GHz processor, 256mb of RAM, I dont remember the exact wording of the message(sorry for any inconvience)and i use ISDN from charter pipeline. This problem just started up. Like a newb, I altered some processes with some info attained from Black Vipers website hopeing to
get some better performance from my pc. This in turn added annoyance to another problem involving
an "iexplore" error message saying it couldent find the add(again I dont remember the exact wording:( ). With this new problem whenever I used the internet, windows error reporting system would close it down. This is when the "couldent find add" message appeared and shut IE down. I solved this problem by using Kazaa and entering IE from there, once doing that I searched additional forums and found a thread giving me the answer to this annoyance. It said to go into internet options, advanced, browsing and uncheck enable third-party browser extensions. I did this and it solved the
Iexplore problem, this is when my dowload problems started. I'll try downloading the file again and get that error message back to you. Sorry for the lack of specs.
-loaded

Collapse -
Anything significant worth report in 'Events'?
by Cursorcowboy / December 19, 2003 8:09 PM PST

The article [Q308427] states that an event is any significant occurrence in the system or in a program that requires users to be notified or an entry be added to one of three logs, the Event Log Service records application, security, and system events. With the event logs in Event Viewer, users can obtain information about hardware, software, and system components, and monitor security events on a local or remote computer. Event logs can help identify and diagnose the source of current system problems, or help predict potential system problems.

Collapse -
Downloading times out
by Porphyllis / May 11, 2007 6:06 AM PDT

Using an Emachines, windowXP, 2.4GHz, 256mb of Ram, and my internet connection is with Juno.com. My computer "Times out" when I don't move the mouse for only about fives minutes when I'm trying to download a large files.Are there settings I can change or something to fix this. I'm trying to download the free anti-virus from PC Tools.Thanks for anyone willing to HELP!!!!!

Collapse -
I Had Similar Issues With Free Juno Dial-up...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 11, 2007 10:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Downloading times out

I never found a way to fix that problem... Even the "paid for" version of Juno would cause such problems if left unattended.. There are utilities which might help.

Here's one that I found on Google:
http://www.dirfile.com/freeware/disconnect.htm

Plus check these settings on Internet Explorer:
* Go to the Start menu and choose Settings, then click on Control Panel
* Double-click on Internet Options
* Click on the Connection tab
* Click on the Alphalink connection you are using under Dial-up Settings, then click the Settings button
* Under Dial-up Settings, click the Advanced button
* Make sure that "Disconnect if idle for xx minutes" is NOT ticked
* Make sure that "Disconnect when the connection may no longer be needed" is NOT ticked
* Then click OK, OK again, and OK once more.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
why do i keep getting the message, "operation tiemd out".
by blueplaza / June 25, 2010 12:39 AM PDT

please if anyone knows plese help me im trying to download a game which takes hours to download then after a while i get a message saying "internet explorer cannot download... operation timed out"please help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.