Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Download box keeps popping up

by mealluede / June 21, 2011 12:24 PM PDT

For the last 4 days all of a sudden, I am getting a box popping up on my computer that wants me to download/save/cancel a file called: 234x60_3f.swf from some place called

I have never been and don't go to any of those kind of sites if that mate thing has anything to do with dating or hooking up or whatever. I am the only user of this computer so it was not done by anyone else either.

I am using Windows 7 and I am thinking it is coming up when I am using Windows Live Messenger, because when the box pops up, you know how you can just mouse over a program in your task bar I do that on the msngr prog, and 3 windows come up to choose from.. (the main window, the open chat with my mom, and the download box) .

I have checked and rechecked my settings on messenger and it has always been set to private. I don't accept anyone I don't know to chat. In fact I only chat with 3 people ever. My mom, brother and sister. So I cannot figure out why I can't this to stop asking me to download it. I just keep hitting cancel and it goes away for only a little while.

The other day I was gone all day and came back to 13 boxes i had to cancel on my screen.

I use Firexfox as my browser, I have virus protection, script protection, adblocking to name a few for addons.

Any ideas??

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Download box keeps popping up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Download box keeps popping up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Best info I've found on this so far...
by TrooBerger / June 21, 2011 6:36 PM PDT

I've been having this issue myself for a less than a week and have been keeping an eye on any info that pops up on the internet about it.

It appears to be a Windows Live Messenger problem, and from my understanding, it's probably part of the advertising the program has showing while it's running. I reported the problem to the Messenger people earlier today and am hoping they figure out their problem.

The best info I've found so far is at this Yahoo Answers link, the very first info I could find was this.

This issue is annoying me to no end.

Collapse -
Thanks for the info, but how do I ....
by mealluede / June 22, 2011 6:13 AM PDT

I looked at both links you posted, and thanks for that. Happy

I'm glad to hear others are having the same issue. I am using Firefox and can not figure out where I can restrict the ( they suggest in the link/reading I did. I guessed, and put it in an area although I don't think it was right, but figured it couldn't hurt. However, I woke up this morning with several requests on my screen to download the stupid file still. Sad

I really don't want to go back to IE just to block it. I'm using Microsoft Securities Essentials to protect my computer and can not find anywhere on there to prevent it either. Sad

Collapse -
Best way I've found so far:
by TrooBerger / June 22, 2011 6:30 AM PDT

In Firefox go to Tools>Options>Privacy and then the "Exception" button next to "Accept Cookies". You can put in the and the addresses in there. I don't know if this is the proper fix, and it doesn't fix it completely, but this morning instead of the file request I woke up to it saying something about certificates not being right and no file trying to download. Happy

Collapse -
Found it
by mealluede / June 22, 2011 7:12 AM PDT

Thank you very much for your help. We'll see what happens. So, so frustrating. Hope it get's fixed for good by Microsoft or whoever lol.

Have a great day!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.