Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

download avast not installing

by richsamtor1 / August 31, 2008 5:34 AM PDT

i downloaded avast home edition which is free.it downloaded all right but it will not install on my computer i would appreciate some help thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: download avast not installing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: download avast not installing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No help available.
by Coryphaeus / August 31, 2008 6:49 AM PDT

Why? Did you not notice the Red Note above where you almost posted a question? How can we help if you tell us nothing about your machine, exactly what happens, your OS?

"Will not install" tells nothing.

Hint, hint.

Collapse -
already paid but no dowloaded avast
by kristinajihanbana / April 3, 2011 3:16 PM PDT
In reply to: No help available.

I already download the avast. Already paid through credit card but I cannot install it. HEELPPP!PLEASE!

Collapse -
Not Enough Information....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 4, 2011 3:24 AM PDT

Which operating system is installed on the computer? What make and model is the computer?

WHY can't you install it?
1. Are you downloading a full .exe installer file to your desktop and double clicking on the file to install it? What is the name of that file?

2. EXACTLY what happens when you double click on the file to run the installer? If there are error messages, give the EXACT message.

3. Have you uninstalled all other antivirus programs from your computer BEFORE attempting to install Avast?

4. If the computer is already infected, then antivirus programs frequently won't install.. Please download, install, update, and run a full system scan using the free malware removal tool below:

Malwarebytes Antimalware

From where did you attempt to download the AVAST program?

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
Try
by PudgyOne / August 31, 2008 5:29 PM PDT

turning off any download accellerators and download Avast from here.

Rick

Collapse -
avast will not install
by richsamtor1 / September 2, 2008 5:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Try

not sure what you mean by download accelators.tried what you said,it seems like it downloaded okay but it will not run and install the program i have windows xp home edition os tanks for your help

Collapse -
Make sure
by PudgyOne / September 2, 2008 6:44 AM PDT
In reply to: avast will not install
Collapse -
avast will not install
by richsamtor1 / September 3, 2008 2:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Make sure

did everything you said and it still will not install.os is windows xp home edition.still need help thanks

Collapse -
OK, From The Beginning.. Explain EXACTLY...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 3, 2008 4:14 AM PDT

..what you are doing.. So far, your only explanation is "it won't install"..

1. Are you downloading a full .exe installer file to your desktop and double clicking on the file to install it? What is the name of that file?

2. EXACTLY what happens when you double click on the file to run the installer? If there are error messages, give the EXACT message.

3. Have you uninstalled all other antivirus programs from your computer BEFORE attempting to install Avast?

4. Which operating system are you using? And if Windows XP, is it Home or Pro? Which service pack?

5. Is it possible your computer is already infected? If so, please click on the link below and run the online scans mentioned in the link:

Please run the Housecall online virus scan located at:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
Follow the prompts to scan your hard drive for viruses. Select the "Autoclean" option so that Housecall will remove any viruses from your system.
When the scan is finished, please restart your computer.

Now run scans for malware and rootkits.

Please perform a scan with the F-secure online scanner at this link:
http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/ols.shtml

1. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Start Scanning"
You may receive an alert on the address bar at this point to install the ActiveX control, please do so.
2. After installed, click on Accept on the license agreement.
3. Click "Full System Scan" to download the scanning components and begin scan and cleaning.
4. When the scan completes, click the "I want to decide item by item" button.
5. For each item found, Select "Disinfect" and click "Next".

Grif

Collapse -
avast will not install
by richsamtor1 / September 4, 2008 7:56 AM PDT

downloading setupeng.exe at avast.com
when i double click on run i do get any message it looks like itis sending
files from one folder to another folder and that is it
as far as i know it is uninstalled
windows xp home edition
ran both scans
still need help thanks

Collapse -
Still Haven't Given Us Enough Information
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 4, 2008 10:20 AM PDT

Try reading the questions I gave before and respond with the exact information requested..

4. Which operating system are you using? And if Windows XP, is it Home or Pro? Which service pack?

"as far as i know it is uninstalled" doesn't give us much to go on.. Does it show up in your Start/All Programs menu? If not, using Windows Explorer, do you see the Avast folder listed in the C:\Program Files directory? If so, can you open it

5. Is it possible your computer is already infected?
And now that you've run both scans, what did they find? Anything? Nothing? If something, what?

And another question or two.. Although the "setupeng.exe" file name is correct, have you tried downloading it again, then running it? When I download the file here, it comes up as a 26.4 MB file.. Is it the same on your end?

And how much RAM do you have installed on the computer? A minimum of 128 MB is required but clearly, 512 MB would be better for an XP machine.

Here is a link to the installation guidelines for the Avast program.. Have you followed them?

http://download675.avast.com/files/eng/avast-professional-install-manual.pdf

Grif

Collapse -
avast wikk not install
by richsamtor1 / September 6, 2008 8:49 AM PDT

went to new download site problem solved thanks,sometime the answer is right in front of you

Collapse -
Cannot download avast home edition
by computersavvy / October 16, 2009 6:49 PM PDT
In reply to: avast wikk not install

Hi,

Im also experiencing the same problem. I cannot download avast. when i try to run the set up, it will start downloading files but not succesfully then gives an error "http: server returned error 301". Then at the end it says SET UP FINISHED but there is an error in the window "There was an error while completing the set up process" and there is a set up log (please see details of set up log below)
17.10.2009 16:44:49 general: Started: 17.10.2009, 16:44:49
17.10.2009 16:44:49 system: Operating system: WindowsXP ver 5.1, build 2600, sp 2.0 [Service Pack 2]
17.10.2009 16:44:49 system: Memory: 47% load. Phys:518144/981420K free, Page:1969544/2369200K free, Virt:2071356/2097024K free
17.10.2009 16:44:49 system: Computer WinName: MARIY-COMPUTER
17.10.2009 16:44:49 system: Windows Net User: MARIY-COMPUTER\Mariy
17.10.2009 16:44:49 general: Old version: ffffffff (-1)
17.10.2009 16:44:49 system: Using temp: C:\DOCUME~1\Mariy\LOCALS~1\Temp\_av_inet.tm~a03256 (32113M free)
17.10.2009 16:44:49 internet: SYNCER: Type: use IE settings
17.10.2009 16:44:49 internet: SYNCER: Auth: another authentication, use WinInet
17.10.2009 16:44:49 general: Install check: Program folder does NOT exist in registry
17.10.2009 16:44:49 general: SGW32P::CheckIfInstalled set m_bAlreadyInstalled to 0
17.10.2009 16:44:54 general: progress thread start
17.10.2009 16:44:54 general: Destination: C:\DOCUME~1\Mariy\LOCALS~1\Temp\_av_inet.tm~a03256
17.10.2009 16:44:54 general: Starting download: http://www.avast.com/go.php?verb=get-avast-pro&type=cnet&langid=eng
17.10.2009 16:44:55 general: Download finished from server www.avast.com, result: 0x20000006, server response: 301
17.10.2009 16:44:55 general: Stats www.avast.com, server response: 536870918
17.10.2009 16:44:57 general: POST result: 0x00000000, server response: 204

my computer specs are pentium D, 1 MB of RAM, windows XP. My pc can download other applications i have downloaded from the net. Hope you can help me. Thanks.

Collapse -
Tried This??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 17, 2009 3:15 AM PDT

Click on the link below which will immediately bring up the download window for full English version of the Avast installation file.. Choose to "Save" the file to your desktop and download the full file to your desktop.

http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/setupeng.exe

Once the file is on your desktop, BE SURE to uninstall all other antivirus programs you have installed on your computer.. And it's extremely important to install the new program on a CLEAN computer.. If it's not, then use the free online scanner below to clean up the computer.. Click on the link and run the scan it provides.

SuperAntispyware Online Scanner

When you're sure that the computer is clean, try running the Avast installation again.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
It worked!
by auntmouse / October 17, 2009 9:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Tried This??

Great Job!!! It worked.
Thank you, thank you!!!

Collapse -
avast not installing
by auntmouse / October 17, 2009 8:51 AM PDT

I am getting the same message: I have been working on it all afternoon.
After download of avast home. I get the same error. Install check Program folder does NOT exist in registry.
Prior to this download I uninstalled Norton 360.

I hope someone can help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.