Download.com Site Feedback forum

Tip

Download App should not be auto-starting by default ..

by Randy Bell / May 19, 2013 6:25 AM PDT

Hi, I've been using the CNET Download App, the replacement for CNET Tech-Tracker. I noticed the Download App actually updates ITSELF as well as other applications on one's PC.

I let it update itself and, unbeknownst to me, it OVER-RODE my User Settings to turn OFF the auto-loading at Windows Bootup. Later, I shutdown my PC, not knowing what had taken place.

Well, lo and behold, I booted up the next time, and I felt as if Download App had hijacked my PC. It started scanning automatically, and there is no item in the rightclick Menu from the System Tray, to STOP the scanning.

So I waited and waited, then had to terminate Download App because it had HUNG. This is most irritating; and you shouldn't override the user's settings when the program updates itself. KEEP the user's preferences intact, and don't hijack the PC.

In fact, you shouldn't set the default to run at Windows Boot either - let the User decide what he prefers and don't impose your will on the User.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Download App should not be auto-starting by default ..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Download App should not be auto-starting by default ..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
by CNETSupport / May 20, 2013 7:46 AM PDT

Hi Randy,

I have shared your comments with the appropriate product managers for investigation, and we sincerely apologize for the difficulty you have encountered.

I've also created a support ticket for you so we can gather more information and better keep track of this issue; you will get an email from us shortly, and can respond to that to provide additional details.

In future, please note that you can reach the support team directly by filling out the form on this page:

http://t.cnet.com/PS6r5c

Regards,
Jen
CNET Customer Help

Collapse -
No biggie .. :)
by Randy Bell / May 20, 2013 8:06 AM PDT

No problem, I thought to bring it to your attention after Googling for where to register my suggestion.

I encountered the problem on this my Acer Aspire Notebook running Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, the 64-bit (x64) version. It's not a 'problem' really; I still use Download App for convenience; just thought it would be less intrusive if you didn't default to autostart of Download App with Windows -

and if you insist to keep that as the default setting when the User first installs Download App - then at the least, when Download App upgrades itself via it's own interface -

the upgrade, when it installs, should not overwrite the User's Preferences (Settings). Right now, even if the User has unchecked "Start with Windows" - the upgrade overwrites that without the User being aware, until his next reboot when he gets an unexpected surprise. Happy

The surprise being, Download App opens and starts scanning; while everything else is being loaded at boot time; which slows down the bootup process, and is a minor aggravation to users who don't want that.

So this was just a suggestion, for the 'suggestion box", so to speak. As, I've no doubt that many users would not want Download App starting up and scanning their PC with every single boot-up of Windows. Also, other than to right-click and Exit from the System Tray - there doesn't seem to be a way to STOP the scanning -

The other, more drastic alternative being to use Task Manager to KILL the application. If this Setting is recorded in the Registry, it should be easy to not overwrite the setting when the upgrade installs, IMHO.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.