Download.com Site Feedback forum

General discussion

Download 64-bit softwares

by VigneshBalasubramanian / March 28, 2010 2:06 PM PDT

I am planning to build a new computer tomorrow and am planning to instal Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on it. I have checked the Windows 7 compatibility site and found that all my hardware is compatible with 64-bit.
Now coming to the software part, I usually download most of my softwares from download.com. Now my question is that if I want the 64-bit version of the software, how can I download it from download.com. I have found many softwares which in the same version supports both 32bit and 64bit. But what about the softwares which have different versions for 32 bit and 64bit?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Download 64-bit softwares
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Download 64-bit softwares
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Depends...
by John.Wilkinson / March 29, 2010 4:55 AM PDT

Most 32-bit Windows software can run flawlessly under 64-bit versions of Windows, so you can continue using most of the applications you already have. Those that have 64-bit versions usually list both on download.com, letting you choose which to download/install. (Just search for the name of the program to see all available versions.) While searching, as a general rule, the programs are designed for Windows x86 and compatible with Windows x64 unless otherwise stated.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Thanks
by VigneshBalasubramanian / March 29, 2010 2:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Depends...

for the info.

Collapse -
Let me add.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2010 9:28 PM PDT

I'm currently writing apps in the fairly new Visual Studio 2008 and along with that it looks like I can issue both 32 and 64 bit versions in the same installer.

It may take some time for developers to catch on that this is possible so always watch for what bit versions you download.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by VigneshKrishna-2342000289 / April 1, 2010 9:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Let me add.

In fact before downloading any software, I am first google(ing) the software's name + windows 7 64 bit. Then the search results points to various forums from where I get to know the compatibility issues with the 64 bit.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.