Windows 8 forum

Tip

Downgrading Windows 8 to 7 without having downgrade rights.

by static55555 / February 13, 2013 12:50 AM PST

Hello everyone!

I became a member of this forum just for one reason. I recently ended up with a computer that my client need to downgrade to Windows 7. His computer had a manufacturer preinstalled Windows 8 (Latin American version) so the whole system was in spanish.

I started looking for some information online on how to do this, and couldn't find anything that could help. So I decided to share with you guys my experience so in case that you want to do something similar to a computer that doesn't allow you to downgrade it.

My first attempts were making a clean Windows 7 installation but the problem I encounter was that Windows 7 and 8 partition formats are different.

But even before that the computer wouldn't load windows 7 installation because now new windows 8 computers come locked so you can only use windows 8 on them. This lock can be easily removed by accessing into the BIOS under security and changing the Secure Boot Mode, and also changing the Boot Mode to Legacy and saving the changes and also don't forget to change the boot order so the computer loads the CD/DVD-ROM first.

By doing this it will start the installation of Windows 7 but still it wont let you intall it completely, because of the partition formats. For this you have to use the GParted software that is a linux based application that will allow you to delete and format your partitions. In my case I deleted all the partitions and tried to fomat the whole hard drive but it didn't let me, it gave me some error. The good thing was that I already deleted all the windows 8 partitions and now I was able to run Windows 7 Installation again and not just that but format the whole hard drive using the Windows 7 disc to the correct format for that specific system.

After that I installed perfectly my original copy of Windows 7 and now the computer is working excellent. I just had to look for some drivers on the Sony website. But other than that everything was simple, I just had a hard time finding out how to do it.

I hope my explanation was good. If there is something that you guys may not understand please comment and ask all your questions.

Thanks for reading.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Downgrading Windows 8 to 7 without having downgrade rights.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Downgrading Windows 8 to 7 without having downgrade rights.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just one thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2013 2:44 AM PST

I tried such on a newer Windows laptop that had that secure EFI boot enabled and could not access the drive from GPARTED. To get around that, I had to change the BIOS to Legacy Mode.

What's going to hurt here is that there is no standard for what they call this setting or mode.
Bob

Collapse -
How weird...
by static55555 / February 13, 2013 6:46 AM PST
In reply to: Just one thing.

What brand of laptop was it?

I also had to change the Boot Mode to Legacy, but not just that I had to use the GParted software too...

It is very interesting how on your computer GParted didn't detect the hidden partitions. I was able to delete them, combine them but not able to format them...

Collapse -
There have been a few.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2013 6:50 AM PST
In reply to: How weird...

The last one was a Lenovo x130e 0622-2FU. I can only guess what the final 2 letters are for but so far these EFI BIOS are pretty fouled up.
Bob

Collapse -
Downgrading Windows 8 to Windows 7 without downgrade rights
by WendyA614 / February 15, 2013 8:52 AM PST

Hello!
Finally! I have been searching everywhere for the answer to my problem. What you describe sounds just what I need, but unfortunately I don't understand enough of what you are talking about. You sound like you are knowing a lot about computers. I just bought a laptop and a desktop that were both loaded with Windows 8. (not pro so no downgrade rights.) After experiencing Windows 8 for about 2 days I HATE it!!
I just purchased a downloadable Windows 7 Home Premium O/S so no disc. I am not that experienced when it comes to computers...thought I could figure it out, but I am too green to know what all the terminology is let alone what it means! Sad
I downloaded the OS as per the instructions from the software company, but when I try to run it, it will install but then it gets hung up and says it can't authenticate it (among other things) I don't have it set up right now so I can't remember what all it is saying. I've tried a few different things but I'm so in over my head it isn't even funny!! ANY help would be SO appreciated!
Thank you
Wendy

Collapse -
Try Classic Start or Start8
by wpgwpg / February 15, 2013 9:20 AM PST

Before digging yourself into a mess, try downloading Start8 or Classic Start. They make Windows 8 look and work pretty much like Windows 7 with the Start button that has everything like you're used to it. With that Windows 8 is pretty usable. It doesn't excuse MS from trying to shove this new interface on laptop & desktop users down our throats, but it'll give you something you can be productive with. Start8 is $5 and Classic Start is free.

Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.