Windows Vista forum

General discussion

downgrading from vista to xp

by paolopaed / April 14, 2007 5:41 PM PDT

hi, i bought a new HP Pavilion dv6000t laptop from hp and it came in with a windows vista. i dont like the vista so i am planning to install an XP OS to it.

Does anybody know how i can perform a complete format so that i can downgrade my current OS to windows XP? i tried booting my XP cd but it wont perform an installation. it just says something like there is no hard drive available/cant be seen. can aybody help me? thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: downgrading from vista to xp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: downgrading from vista to xp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Link to similar discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2007 9:16 PM PDT
Collapse -
finding the drivers was not my problem
by paolopaed / April 15, 2007 1:21 AM PDT

i wasnt asking about on how to find drivers or how to determine my devices... i just wanted to know how i would be able to install XP on my laptop. thanks for the reply anyway

Collapse -
Maybe it's not clear?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2007 1:26 AM PDT

How to install XP is documented on thousands of web sites so that can't be your question. Please take a moment and try rewriting the question.

1. Installing XP.

Thousands of web sites about that.

2. The drive issue.

Just went over that.

What's left?

Bob

Collapse -
installing xp
by paolopaed / April 15, 2007 1:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe it's not clear?

yeah but here's the thing.. when the XP cd boots and i press enter to install a new copy of XP, it wont push through with the installation. it just displays a screen that there is no hard disk present/available or something like that. and my only option is to press F3, which will make me exit the installation and reboot the pc.

Collapse -
XP installation program needs the SATA driver
by linkit / April 26, 2007 5:15 PM PDT
In reply to: installing xp
Collapse -
Linkit, Not Necessarily So...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 27, 2007 11:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Good points. Thanks!
by linkit / April 27, 2007 5:09 PM PDT
Collapse -
Query.
by veya11 / February 27, 2009 5:18 AM PST

Your ideas are very helpful, but can u help me because i am using HP Pavilion dv2500 Notebook and i want also a driver for my SATA.

Collapse -
This link does not help
by Ricksky4000 / July 21, 2009 12:27 PM PDT

The link to the HP website does not help, HP does not supply the XP SATA drivers. (HP obviously has them, since school systems and businesses are downgrading to XP left and right, but they are unwilling to supply them to private individuals. I'm thinking about taking them to court and hanging them out to dry!)
Anyway, you need the SATA drivers for the HDD (Hard Disk Drive), or the drivers for the HDD controller, I'm not sure which, and I'm not even sure how to find out. My Laptop is am HP DV6000, Part Number: NB651AV. Does anyone have any ideas?

I get the same error as everyone else, "STOP 0X0000007B, INACCESABLE_BOOT_DEVICE." It does not say "Inaccesaable boot device" on my screen, only STOP 0X0000007B, and then some stuff about shutting down the computer to prevent damamge.

I would appriciate and info anyone would have on how to fix this, I have tried streaming the drivers onto an XP install CD with NLITE, but the same thing happens. I guess I have the wrong drivers? Does anybody know?

Collapse -
Lots Of Discussion About That Topic Further Down....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 22, 2009 1:15 AM PDT

Options include.... disabling "Native SATA Support" (or enabling IDE emulation) in the BIOS which allows you to install and run XP without the SATA drivers..

or

Using a USB floppy drive to install the CORRECT SATA drivers during the XP install.

or

Finding and slipstreaming the CORRECT SATA drivers for your specific laptop.. The correct XP driver information for computer can be gleaned by writing down the appropriate Vista Device Manager listings BEFORE formatting the computer.

The dv6000 computer model has a LOT of various configurations including different processors, motherboards, hardware, software, etc. There are posts in this thread which provide links to many download sites for those drivers.. I know it's a lot to go through but reading through this thread should get you there.

Just a couple of examples:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-12546_102-0.html?messageID=2471670#2471670

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7587_102-0.html?messageID=2699006#2699006

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
installing xp over vista.
by Alsemgeest / October 20, 2007 2:26 AM PDT

I have a Sony Vaio, im not sure about the actual model number. I tried to install windows xp from booting from the CD although it keeps saying that the hardrive is not visible or something stupid like that. I dont know what to do so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Collapse -
Check the other posts
by mcne / October 20, 2007 3:05 AM PDT

This has been answered few posts above yours.

You need your SATA drivers on a floppy and press F6 at the begining of XP install (look at the bottom of the screen) you will not see anything after you pressed F6 but when the time comes to check drives it will load the drivers after asking you.

The other option is to make a bootable XP CD with your drivers integrated.

This is only because your laptop is newer and uses SATA rather than PATA (some like to call it IDE)

Hope this helps

Collapse -
Have You Checked The BIOS Yet?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 20, 2007 4:00 AM PDT

Yes, you need to read ALL of the posts in this long thread.. Although most refer to HP computers in this thread, many things still apply..

It may be SATA drivers if you're getting to the point where it asks for such during the XP installation...OR...you may need to disable the SATA/RAID Support in the BIOS for the hard drive to be recognized initially. In addition, have your tried WIPING the drive entirely before installing XP? It may be necessary in some cases.

By the way, BEFORE installing XP on your machine, be sure to get ALL of the drivers for the hardware.. Based on the posts in this forum, SONY computers have been the most difficult to find XP drivers for.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
downgrading to XP
by Alsemgeest / October 21, 2007 12:51 AM PDT

ya guys thanks that helps a lot.
thanks again.

Collapse -
drivers problem after downgrading vista to xp
by iceboxs / July 2, 2008 9:24 PM PDT

hi friends, can you help on my problem regarding downgrading vista to xp, by the way i have already downgrade vista to xp my problem is after i downgrade and install xp all the drivers that i download from hp and compaq are didnt work, my laptop model is compaq presario c700,
thanks

Collapse -
Exactly, there needs to be a driver for the drive...
by Me, Myself and You / October 25, 2007 12:16 AM PDT

which is what Bob was trying to tell you.

Some newer machine that come with Vista don't have any other drivers available for XP/2000, or at best they are hard to find.

Collapse -
XP installation not recognising the HD...????
by abhi_rock / November 26, 2007 10:32 AM PST

dude, i've got a solution for you.... dis aint a H/W problem...,dis system comes wid SATA Hard-drive, Vista has sata drivers as default (Vista has close to 19k native drivers but XP doesnt.,). Hence you actually need to get into BIOS/system set-up... guess for HP it ud be F10, and look for a option to disable SATA operation, once done boot from XP disc and that will recognise and install the same on it... do revert back for any issues...!!!

Message was edited by: admin to remove email address to prevent spam harvesters from picking it up

Collapse -
not recognizing hard disk
by piyushjs_shah102 / February 9, 2008 3:39 PM PST

i have bought hp pavilion 2701tu . i could not see any sata disable option in bios through F10..what should i do now?..

Collapse -
XP downgrade for HP
by richyd1 / December 28, 2007 11:45 PM PST

I just successfully downgraded Vista Home to XP Home. You must disable the Harddrive native support setting, then you can go ahead and install. You must have the full copy version of XP.
The only other option I needed to select was to use the NFTS (quick) file system option during the install. This skipped the lengthy disk check function. Good luck!
HP provided the solution below -
1. Turn on the computer.
2. Keep tapping the F10 key when the Compaq logo appears. This will take you to BIOS Setup Utility.
3. Click on System Configuration tab
4.Under that select SATA Native support [ disable ]
5. Press F10 to "Save and Exit" the BIOS.
6. Click on Ok/Yes to confirm the changes.
7. Restart the computer.

Collapse -
downgrading to xp
by kenmackie / December 29, 2007 1:57 AM PST
In reply to: XP downgrade for HP

installing xp is easy .finding the drivers that you will need is another story. if you have an hp laptop for example good luck with that

Collapse -
SATA setting needs to be changed in BIOS, drivers not needed
by richyd1 / December 29, 2007 10:23 PM PST
In reply to: downgrading to xp

The 'no hard drive found' error is circumvented by 'disabling' the Harddrive setting in the BIOS prior to the XP install (see my post). HP helped me through that, I never saw this suggestion before. btw, the machine is super fast running XP.

Collapse -
Dual Boot Vista/XP on my HP V6000
by cycleanalyst / February 3, 2008 12:51 PM PST

Thank you for the very clear post! With your instructions (disabling SATA in the BIOS) I was able to install XP on the partion I created after shrinking my original Vista Partition (per this article: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/install-windows-xp-on-your-pre-installed-windows-vista-computer/ )

Since I am running both Vista and XP, will both Vista and XP run with SATA disabled (and be stable?). Any idea what the recommended settings are for an XP/Vista dual-boot environment?

Thanks for any help:)

Collapse -
Both OS Will Run With SATA Disabled In BIOS
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 4, 2008 2:18 AM PST

...They run slightly faster with "Native SATA Support" enabled... But you'll need to install the SATA drivers for that to occur.

As to the settings, that's a personal choice and leaving everything as default (as it's currently running) should work fine.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
my laptop doesnt have those settings!
by arjun_ak47 / February 22, 2008 11:59 PM PST

oh hi.. first time posting...
Ummm well my laptop (its from HP) dv6629ca doesnt have those setting in the BIOS. (BIOS v F.33)
I called HP and they said that our new laptops dont have that many options in the BIOS to keep it "safe". I tried installing xp and gave me the same error message that it cant find any hard disk drives on it. I dont know what to do... and another thing. My BIOS only has 2 settings under system configuration like c4 state setting and system sound (or something like that)and boot options. besides that nothing. HP wont help me downgrading either that's y i turned into this forumm....

PLZZZ HELPPP

Collapse -
That issue means...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2008 12:45 AM PST

You have to use the driver on a floppy method.

-> That's in this discussion and on the web.

If you won't get an USB floppy drive and/or can't slipstream in the drivers for your sata then you won't be installing XP.

Bob

Collapse -
Thx for the quick reply
by arjun_ak47 / February 23, 2008 1:34 AM PST
In reply to: That issue means...

I have a usb floppy drive but i dont know where i can get the SATA driver for my hdd. I really want to rid of this stupid vista and get back to good old xp. Plz help!!

Collapse -
The sata driver is not for you HDD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2008 3:16 AM PST

It's for your motherboard chipset. Again, this is either in this discussion or on the web. Be sure to grind your requests finely or people will tell you that no driver is needed for your SATA HDD and they'd be right.

Collapse -
srry for being noob... but
by arjun_ak47 / February 23, 2008 3:53 AM PST

where can i find the driver to solve the hard drive problem for installation of windows xp pro Service Pack 2.

Laptop:
Hp Pavillion dv6629ca
2 gb of ram
intel motherboard
intel centrino core 2 duo

plzz reply ASAP i want to get xp running .. used at school daily.

THX FOR ALL THE HELP SOO FAR

Collapse -
Link only.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2008 4:41 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.