Windows 7 forum

Question

downgrade from Windows 8 or 7/64-bit to Windows 7/32

by headless3767 / November 11, 2012 6:32 AM PST

Is it possible to downgrade a new desktop harddrive from Windows 8 or Windows 7/64-bit to Windows 7/32-bit? How does it work?
If not, any suggestions where I might acquire a desktop harddrive with Windows 7/32-bit or no operating system?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: downgrade from Windows 8 or 7/64-bit to Windows 7/32
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: downgrade from Windows 8 or 7/64-bit to Windows 7/32
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: downgrading
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 11, 2012 6:50 AM PST

Step 1: you buy a Windows 7 disk with license key (if you don't have one).
Step 2: you boot from it and install Windows 7 32 bit (it will let you use the partition where Windows 8 or Windows 7 64 bit is located on, while formatting it)
Step 3: you download all drivers for all hardware that aren't on the Windows 7 disk
Step 4: you install those drivers

There's a small caveat: a desktop that is 'certified for Windows 8' and sold with Windows 8 is not sure to be able to run Windows 7. Read about the new UEFI in http://www.zdnet.com/windows-8-is-a-one-way-street-for-consumer-pc-users-7000007136/ and http://news.techworld.com/operating-systems/3410119/do-not-downgrade-new-pcs-to-windows-7-hp-urges-customers/

Be sure the BIOS of your PC supports "legacy mode" boot or Windows 7 won't work at all! That's called 'security'. Some say it's a deliberate move by Microsoft to ensure a fast and wide spread of their all-important Windows 8.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Some tips for the future
by wpgwpg / November 20, 2012 1:38 AM PST

The only way to change from 64 to 32 bit version (or vice versa) of either is to reinstall in a clean partition. I have to question the wisdom of downgrading from 64 to 32 bit though because to me it makes more sense to go to XP Mode in the 64 bit version. XP Mode is free if you have the Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate version of Windows, and it runs as a started task under Windows 7 (probably 8 too, but I haven't tested that). If you have the Home Premium version of Windows 7, you can upgrade to the Professional version using the anytime upgrade. Another option is to download the free virtualization for Windows 7 and install your own copy of Windows XP in that. When upgrading from any version of Windows to 8, I would create a new partition and install Windows 8 in that. This gives you dual boot where you can access all your data without a hassle.

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $70 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus todo backup free which you can download from
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm . That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
BUY A WINDOWS 7 DISK AT EBAY
by mkrock / November 23, 2012 2:20 AM PST

I had the same question as you posted here, and found out thru HP that Windows 8 can't be downgraded to Windows 7 without possible damage/harm to the pc.

Since my Vista has never given me any grief what so ever, just minor hiccups that I fixed myself, and I did not want to invest in a new desktop of Windows 7, since I'm not sure if the nightmare Windows 8 platform will be the only thing available several years down the road, I chose to purchase a new Windows 7 disk.

Best Buy, and even HP are not selling Windows 7 disks anymore, so I went to EBay and there I found many of them for sale. I just purchased the Full Windows 7 32 and 64 bit disks, with License and certificate of authenticity from EBay. I didn't want to do the bidding war thing, so I offered $100 for the set of 2 disks and the seller took my offer.

If your not an EBay person (I wasn't either until just 2 months ago, and so the W7 disk is the 2nd item I've purchased at EBay with no problems), then Walmart Online is still selling Windows 7 disks. The Windows 7 Full 32 & 64 bit that I bought at EBay for $100 are selling for $174 at Walmart, but they also have cheaper versions available.

If you want to buy Windows 7 disks, then I suggest you start your search for the disks NOW. EBay still has the 32 bit for sale, the 64 bit for sale, the Full version, and even the Pro versions. Some sellers want a "fixed" price for their disks, and some do the bidding thing. If you do decided to go with EBay, be careful and read the FULL DESCRIPTION of the item. I almost bid on what I thought was the Full version, only to read that it was not the ENGLISH version. Make sure the item has the license and certificate of authenticity, and I would recommend to NOT buy any "used slightly" or any "open" items.

The disks I purchased came in the usual Windows 7 box, and still had the shrink wrap on them, and I bought from a person living in the USA. (yes, I have trust problems) Also make sure the seller has a track record of excellence.

I just received my W7 disks this past Monday in the mail, and with Turkey Day and shopping, I haven't had time yet to prepare my Vista for the transition. But I'm excited to get on with it.

One more thing... Best Buy has no, none, zip, nada, zero, Windows 7 computers at all, but HP Online still does. Best of luck to you! and Happy Holidays! Mary

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.