Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Dos, Windows 3.1, Windows 95 command line replacment.

by chris_sundown13 / July 9, 2009 12:24 AM PDT

I had a program long time ago that could be used as a DOS shell in DOS or windows. The Shell looked like DOS but in color and it also let copying to a clipboard even when just run in DOS. It also had a ribbon that could be brought up with most used commands. In DOS it kept it's normal color and in windows it turned to gray as not to be mistakened with the windows command prompt. I originally downloaded it as freeware or shareware software off the Internet. I have since lost the application on one of those horrible lasting floppies. I Know it wasn't 4DOS but other then that I am not sure what it's called. If any one has any ideas on what it's called please let me know. (The application was portable)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dos, Windows 3.1, Windows 95 command line replacment.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dos, Windows 3.1, Windows 95 command line replacment.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2009 12:29 AM PDT
Collapse -
That's what makes it hard to find.
by chris_sundown13 / July 9, 2009 12:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

The website gives command shell attributes doesn't give a list of command shells and the shells it gives are commercial shells and the only DOS shells it gives are COMMAND.COM and 4DOS. I do know the one I am looking for is similar to 4DOS but I also know it wasn't 4DOS. As $DOS required being installed. The program was also one executable program that would create it's own .ini file fore storing information both when in DOS or when in Windows. It runs like a command line and is NOT a file manager like DOSShell or Midnight Commander. The best part of the program is that it would run in windows and DOS. It was also the first program I ever saw to have a DOS ribbon for commands to arrow threw (Other then 4DOS).

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2009 1:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
It wasn't a file manager.
by chris_sundown13 / July 9, 2009 2:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

It wasn't a file manager. It was like a dos and it was a sigal file that stored it's data in a .ini file. I beleave it started with a T, R, H, or N. It was a freeware program designed for windows 3.1 but would run in DOS. It was designed to replace windows 3.1 command prompt.

Collapse -
A few I used.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2009 2:27 AM PDT

Had the file manager as an option.

N reminds me of the Norton Shell. Again, nothing pops up but as I'm going retro this week to setup a boot diskette for Dragon's Lair (for dos) I've been lighting up old neurons.

Collapse -
Not Norton
by chris_sundown13 / July 9, 2009 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: A few I used.

I know it wasn't a Norton product. It wasn't by IBM or Microsoft ether. I have tried searching DOS Shells and windows 3.1 command prompts but nether one helped. I'll keep looking as well as see if any one else posts hear.

Collapse -
See "Alternative DOS Interfaces" at link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2009 2:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
Not there eather :-(
by chris_sundown13 / July 9, 2009 4:25 AM PDT
Collapse -
I have tried...
by chris_sundown13 / July 9, 2009 6:09 AM PDT

I have tried searching "command line shells", " alternatives", "Windows 3.1 command prompts", "DOS Shells", and still no luck finding the windows 3.1 command prompt I like to use. It would do long file names in windows and in dos as well (As long as they could be read by windows 3.1). When loaded in windows it started with a comment about being run in windows mode and would have a gray background instead of the black and white like the program would be in DOS. It had a lot of the DOS commands built into the shell including mouse support and when run in windows could scroll. In dos it could scroll up and down the window using an arrow key when in a certain mode. The mode was determined by the settings section of the ribbon (Explained earlier).

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.